Atlantic & Caribbean Lionfish question.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How do I put a picture on a post?

First, upload the picture somewhere else, such as your ScubaBoard photo gallery. Copy the URL to link to the pic. When editing the post, in the toolbar just above the post editing box, click on the
insertimage.gif
icon, about two thirds of the way over from the left. In the resulting dialog box, paste the URL link to the pic.

They are edible. Indeed, there are people who say it is a great fish. In any event, there is a market for them. When they are dragged up, they are sold in packages of miscellaneous seafood from what I understand.

As to how to control them? Simply tell everyone that they are such a great tasting fish that they are endangered and will soon be eradicated. That should create a market for them that will ensure their extinction <g>!

Regards,
<TED>

I wonder if these things are edible? Maybe if there was a tasty recipe for them people would start harvesting them.

They are bad news for the reef because they are very indiscriminate feeders. They will eat anything they can get into their mouth. If they go unchecked they could substantially effect the eco system.

We just spotted and captured another one today here in Bocas del Toro, Panama. We have reported it to NOAA, REEF, and the USGS. This makes 4 spotted and two captured in the last 5 weeks. This one was donated alive to the Smithsonian's Bocas del Toro Tropical Research Station.

On the U-352 off Morehead City, NC in October 2007

PM2_1415.jpg

I was in the Bahamas two weeks ago on Blackbeards and saw probably at least one on each dive in the Exumas/Eluthera area. I'll post pics here in a bit. Between my dive buddy and myself we probably killed a dozen of them with pole spears (encouraged by the Bahamian government as they are an invasive species.)

Be careful. I heard their spines are poisonous and you have to burn off the toxins before you filet/cook them. Look around online for ways to eat them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom