Atm card compromised in cozumel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.....so the US $ is highly valued/used there. ..... but if you pay for anything in US $ they round it to 10:1 (pesos to dollars) .

Well, sure. I'll sell you anything you want at 10 to 1. Who wouldn't want to make more than 31% extra on you? That's worth all the trouble. Heck, tell me what you need, I'll go get it and take all those "valued" dollars.

I grab a cab (paying with US$, most likely the only time I will do that during my visit) to the Bancomer ATM in the municipal building across the street from Prima and withdraw 4000 pesos or so, and I keep the receipt.

Do you recall what the fee percentage was for your transaction?

I did the get a BOA account and then use Santander ATM for FREE. Now that has stopped, so back to the drawing board.

3% vs 30%, hmmmm, let me see.......

Do you recall what the fee percentage was for your transaction?
I don't remember exactly but it wasn't much. It was a flat fee, anyway, so like with ATM's everywhere, the less you take out at a time the more the hit, percentage-wise.

I don't remember exactly but it wasn't much. It was a flat fee, anyway, so like with ATM's everywhere, the less you take out at a time the more the hit, percentage-wise.

That is good. A lot of banks seem to use the fee and a percentage.

There is no more risk to using an ATM internationally then using your credit card, or only using US dollars or only using the local currency.
Mostly true. While my ATM card offers the same zero-liability protection as my credit cards, the risk would be draining my checking and savings account if I needed the cash versus merely having my credit card frozen and reissued. While I would eventually get the cash returned to my bank accounts, there would be a delay. That doesn't worry me personally as I can always scrape up other funds, but others who need the cash to pay bills when they return home might be harmed by having their power cut off, foreclosure proceedings begun, getting evicted from their apartments, etc.

I used an ATM at Mega on my last trip. The only problem I had was not being able to withdraw cash. My bank refused the transaction. I walked back to my hotel to get online with the bank and assure them that it was indeed me who was trying to deplete my checking account. Walked back to Mega and had no further withdrawal issues.

Cash did come in handy on that trip. When dining at Kondesa, the credit card machine was on the fritz and they were only accepting cash that night. The dorky family at the next table had to make an ATM run but I was lucky enough to have sufficient funds in my wallet to cover my dining expense. I have no doubt they would have taken US dollars but I used pesos.

Sorry this happened to you. Unfortunately, you must not have seen the numerous warnings posted here and on other forums regarding using the "Cashola" ATM machines that are independently owned and not affiliated with any bank. I always, always warn my guests and divers to use only the ATM's affiliated with an actual bank. Here we have Banamex, Bancomer, HSBC, Banorte, Santander, Scotia Bank - these are as safe as any ATM in any city affiliated with a bank.

Credit/debit card security is an issue in every city in the world - this is not an issue exclusive to Cozumel.

My card was compromised in The Woodlands, TX a few years ago - a really nice, upscale suburb of Houston - so please don't paint Cozumel with a tainted brush.

Jeez, lighten up. I never said it was exclusive to COZ. One would have to be an idiot to think that. ATM security is an issue all over the world.

I have been diving COZ for over 25 years and I love the place. I am not trying to paint it with a tainted brush. I am probably going back next week. I am merely reporting the facts as I see them. It's important that our fellow divers know about the hazards of using the ATM's especially the one's I mentioned. Even the ones connected to a Bank. I had two bogus withdrawals by a Scotia Bank which I am protesting. I also ended up with a few charges from Juarez where I have never been. It occurred on the same day my card was comprised.

Some how reading your post you think it was my fault. Somehow because I didn't read any warning it's my fault. It's not. If the cashola machines are such a rip off why don't the Police shut them down? Would you rather me not say anything at all. Please don't try to paint Cozumel with a rainbow brush because it has it's problems too.

If the cashola machines are such a rip off why don't the Police shut them down?

Seriously, isn't "Cashola" a clue?

Back
Top Bottom