Atm card compromised in cozumel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cash cash cash. I just assume all ATM's in Coz are corrupted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cash? what's that?

we go credit whenever possible. never carry local cash. sucks that now most (all?) credit cards charge a 2.5% "convenience fee" for out of country transactions.

I've never had a taxi in Cozumel take a credit card.

And once again we see why our rule is to travel with cash.
But ATMs are how you get cash.

My bank actually told me to not exchange here, as I would get a better rate from a local ATM, and they guarantee fraud protection. So I really don't know what to do in regards to "bring cash". I have to get the pesos from somewhere. (Plus, I really don't know how many pesos I need- as last year, I needed them only for like 2 taxi rides, so we used very few, this year I'll need them for quite a few meals too. If I do go with the higher exchange from my local bank- how much money do I need for a week?)

ATMs, or casas de cambio. You could bring USD acquired from your ATM or bank at home, and change those to pesos at a casa de cambio, which normally gives a decent rate of exchange. Also allows you to just deal with humans instead of any banking machine. Just an option.

I've never had a taxi in Cozumel take a credit card.

But ATMs are how you get cash.

My bank actually told me to not exchange here, as I would get a better rate from a local ATM, and they guarantee fraud protection. So I really don't know what to do in regards to "bring cash". I have to get the pesos from somewhere. (Plus, I really don't know how many pesos I need- as last year, I needed them only for like 2 taxi rides, so we used very few, this year I'll need them for quite a few meals too. If I do go with the higher exchange from my local bank- how much money do I need for a week?)

Since when do you need pesos in Mexico? I've never found anyplace that wouldn't accept U$D. And I've never had any problems with the exchange rate either.

Since when do you need pesos in Mexico? I've never found anyplace that wouldn't accept U$D. And I've never had any problems with the exchange rate either.

You've had taxis give you an exchange rate close to the actual one and not 10:1? I've only been twice, so I'm sure you've been a lot more than me, but that has never happened for me in Cozumel. (Or Acapulco, Progresso, Manzanillo, or Zihuatanejo, actually. It's always 10:1. It adds up.)

---------- Post added August 21st, 2014 at 03:50 PM ----------

ATMs, or casas de cambio. You could bring USD acquired from your ATM or bank at home, and change those to pesos at a casa de cambio, which normally gives a decent rate of exchange. Also allows you to just deal with humans instead of any banking machine. Just an option.

Thanks. I haven't heard of the casa de cambio before.

I'm going to Ecuador this fall, and it is so easy- their currency is USD :) You just have to have nice ones, apparently.

You can also exchange at the bank as long as you have your passport. I like to use the ATM's at the banks on 30th and have never had a problem. Would never stick my card in a machine that called itself cashola like the one downtown.

You've had taxis give you an exchange rate close to the actual one and not 10:1? I've only been twice, so I'm sure you've been a lot more than me, but that has never happened for me in Cozumel. (Or Acapulco, Progresso, Manzanillo, or Zihuatanejo, actually. It's always 10:1. It adds up.)

I have an app on my iPhone that does exchanges. That's what I pay. Yeah, there's occasionally some argument, but that's no different to haggling over the price of the necklace in the shop window.

For trips of less than a month or so, I avoid ATMs and just take US larger-denomination bills and exchange them in whatever foreign country I'm in. Many local banks will do this--bring your passport with you. Tourist destinations often have plenty of exchange houses, which, as someone pointed out above are known as casas de cambio in Mexico. There ones right there in the airports (I'm not referring specifically to Cozumel--I don't recall what's there) don't necessarily have the worst exchange rates. Some countries are picky about the freshness of US bills to be exchanged, so it may take a few minutes working with your bank teller to help avoid torn or worn ones. About the only time I actually go to a bank anymore is to take out cash for a foreign trip. In summary, foreign ATMs scare me. Cash is king.

Heads up guys. My debit card got compromised in Cozumel. I tried to use the ATM machine right in front of Papa Hogs on Cozumel. It denied 4 attempts to get some cash. However, it charged and attempted to get the money from my account. My bank was on top of it and blocked the charges.

I also had a problem with the ATM machine at the Barracuda hotel, the machine right by the front door. I made a withdrawal for $400 US dollars and got charged 3 times for $400 plus charged a $62 fee for each of those transactions. Keep those receipts guys and keep an eye on your money. I am going to have to challenge the extra $900+ dollars I did not get. I also see my debit card was used in Juarez, Mexico on the same date for a few hundred dollars. I have never been to Juarez.

It's a pain. I won't get a new card for 5 days. Watch your cards in COZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry this happened to you. Unfortunately, you must not have seen the numerous warnings posted here and on other forums regarding using the "Cashola" ATM machines that are independently owned and not affiliated with any bank. I always, always warn my guests and divers to use only the ATM's affiliated with an actual bank. Here we have Banamex, Bancomer, HSBC, Banorte, Santander, Scotia Bank - these are as safe as any ATM in any city affiliated with a bank.

Credit/debit card security is an issue in every city in the world - this is not an issue exclusive to Cozumel.

My card was compromised in The Woodlands, TX a few years ago - a really nice, upscale suburb of Houston - so please don't paint Cozumel with a tainted brush.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom