Atmos elite or Oceanic VT3 or Suunto Vytec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dschulte:
Which features did you like the best?
:monkeydan

I was never quite impressed with the arse-backwards menu system on the Suuntos or the super-anal-retentive algorithm they run -- look at the computer wrong and it grounds you, not my cup of tea. The Oceanic computers have a very good, fully adjustable safety setting, that if need be, can be tuned to be just as if not more conservative then the Suuntos -- but the choice is mine! The Oceanic computers also come bundled with the USB download cable, while if I understand correctly the others do not.

Also, the support and customer service team is unmatched for Oceanic, not like the horror stories one hears of the Suuntos.

I agree about the customer service at Oceanic...it's top notch. I have a VT3 and it's a fantastic computer. You can make it as conservative as you want and it's very user friendly. My dive buddy uses a Suunto Vytec DS. We switched on one dive outing and he regrets not tryng the VT3 prior to his purchase.

just keep in mind these things...

if you are going to be a tec diver in the future its good to have a back up computer

out of those computers only 1 allows for deep stops, which is why bikini divers dont accept the other 2 when you dive with them

if you are serious about becoming a tec diver you should prol go with the vytec as a starting computer, and choose another down the track as a back up

personally most of my dives dont involve deep stops so a vt3 is all i need

I have the Elite. I find it easy to use and dependable. I also like the fact that Aeris has a rep on ScubaBoard that has responded to all posts directed towards him about the equipment. Ultimately, if I needed to buy a computer again; I would buy the Elite.

VT3 is my suggestion....over the Aeris get which one you like better, they are almost identical except for the aestetics.....As Tamas said, the Suuntos are extremely conservative....But they are all good computers......

Goodluck and let us know what you go with :wink:

Superform:
...out of those computers only 1 allows for deep stops, which is why bikini divers don’t accept the other 2 when you dive with them...

I have seen this Deep Stop requirement popping up in several dive locations like Bikini. It is an interesting way of diving. The group I dive regularly with follows it when we go below 100'. Used it on the 165' dive, kept us out of deco and we ended with a reasonable surface interval between dives. The Suunto Vytec DS has the algorithm built in, but it is something that you can do on any computer. (Sorry for the hijack, but DS is a topic that I have not seen discussed in a while.)
:monkeydan

dschulte:
I have seen it range from $700 to $850 (with the transmitter).

Could you point me in the direction of a shop that is selling a new Vytec DS with the transmitter in the aforementioned range. A Suunto-authorized retailer would be preferred. I haven't seen prices that low, except for used Vytecs. Even LeisurePro has it at $949.95.

vytec...pure and simple

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom