Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At this point I want a NEW Cobalt (not a reparied version of the one that has broke 2x already)

I don't think you'll have a problem with that. Mine flooded during a deep dive (thankfully, I had my Petrel and some tables along, too), and Atomic is sending me a new one.

I just wish I knew what went wrong - when I asked what happened, they said 'looks like water got in and fried everything.' And I'm thinking, 'gee, I don't want to be a smartass, but that much was obvious at my 120' deco stop..how'd it get in there?!'' :wink:

I have had a Cobalt for a week now. When it first came out of the box the battery status registered as 54%. I then charged it to 100% which it correctly displayed. After a 12 minute test dive to 3m in a pool it was put away for the week. Now, the battery status just shows dashes ""--%". I recharged the battery on the mains until the "Charging Done" message appeared, which took about half an hour. The battery status still shows "--%", not a figure. Is there something I am missing? Is there a button to bring the status percentage back? Could it be a dodgy battery? All suggestions welcome.

I have had a Cobalt for a week now. When it first came out of the box the battery status registered as 54%. I then charged it to 100% which it correctly displayed. After a 12 minute test dive to 3m in a pool it was put away for the week. Now, the battery status just shows dashes ""--%". I recharged the battery on the mains until the "Charging Done" message appeared, which took about half an hour. The battery status still shows "--%", not a figure. Is there something I am missing? Is there a button to bring the status percentage back? Could it be a dodgy battery? All suggestions welcome.

The dashes indicate that the battery fuel gauge did not get good communications established with the processor- this is most often something that comes up momentarily and will self correct. The charging time sounds about right.

The new firmware version 1.41, which is supposed to be posted today, does contain some improvements to the communications with the fuel gauge- more tolerant timing. If you wouldn't mind, try updating with this new version and let me know (PM or here) if the dashes go away. Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Software If they don't the fuel gauge chip may be suspect. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the update.

Let me know what you see, and we will take it from there.

Ron

The dashes indicate that the battery fuel gauge did not get good communications established with the processor- this is most often something that comes up momentarily and will self correct. The charging time sounds about right.

The new firmware version 1.41, which is supposed to be posted today, does contain some improvements to the communications with the fuel gauge- more tolerant timing. If you wouldn't mind, try updating with this new version and let me know (PM or here) if the dashes go away. Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Software If they don't the fuel gauge chip may be suspect. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the update.

Let me know what you see, and we will take it from there.

Ron
Ron,
Thanks for your prompt response. I have tried downloading the firmware as you suggest. The existing version in the Cobalt is 1.13.2. The latest version according to the download is 1.13.
I tried to flash the Cobalt in case this is a new dot release. The PC stated "Complete" instantly. The Cobalt screen did not clear and did not return to the time and date screen. I suspect this is because the Cobalt already has the same version of software as that downloaded from the website.
I'll wait to see if the new version is posted over the weekend and will try again when it appears.
In the meantime, the dashes are still there.
I am off for a diving holiday in the Caribbean in 10 days time. I trust that the rest of the Cobalt can be relied upon if the problem isn't cured by then.
Mistydog

Ron,
Thanks for your prompt response. I have tried downloading the firmware as you suggest. The existing version in the Cobalt is 1.13.2. The latest version according to the download is 1.13.
I tried to flash the Cobalt in case this is a new dot release. The PC stated "Complete" instantly. The Cobalt screen did not clear and did not return to the time and date screen. I suspect this is because the Cobalt already has the same version of software as that downloaded from the website.
I'll wait to see if the new version is posted over the weekend and will try again when it appears.
In the meantime, the dashes are still there.
I am off for a diving holiday in the Caribbean in 10 days time. I trust that the rest of the Cobalt can be relied upon if the problem isn't cured by then.
Mistydog
The 1.41 firmware didn't get posted yesterday, I'll try to find out when it will be up.
You should be able to re-flash the Cobalt no matter what firmware version, showing "completed" instantly may be due to a Windows driver not being installed, or a connection problem. Did you see the green "connected" message on the Cobalt before starting to flash it? I will PM you with more detailed options, I want to make sure to determine if your Cobalt has a problem so there is time to replace it before your trip, if necessary.

Ron

Thanks for your assistance Ron. Reflashing the device has restored the battery percentage.

Much appreciated.

Ron since I got my computer back from the case upgrade, the select button and the down button are intermittent. Can you help?

Ron since I got my computer back from the case upgrade, the select button and the down button are intermittent. Can you help?

I assume yours was one of the ones that needed to go back for the recall?
There are a couple of possibilities- but if yours just came back from being refurbished by Atomic it should be perfect- I would definitely give them a call or email. You can check under the cover using these instructions: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/71299384/Cover removal.pdf
It's possible something is jammed or gummed up underneath. If the keypad shows rust it needs to be replaced. Or possibly you need different magnets. But I would ask Atomic to solve it for you.

Ron

I assume yours was one of the ones that needed to go back for the recall?
There are a couple of possibilities- but if yours just came back from being refurbished by Atomic it should be perfect- I would definitely give them a call or email. You can check under the cover using these instructions: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/71299384/Cover%20removal.pdf
It's possible something is jammed or gummed up underneath. If the keypad shows rust it needs to be replaced. Or possibly you need different magnets. But I would ask Atomic to solve it for you.

Ron

I didn't see on their website any info on returning it for warranty.

I didn't see on their website any info on returning it for warranty.
I should have given you links, they aren't obvious. There is a web contact form here: Atomic Aquatics Phone is 888-270-8595 if you would prefer to call.

Adan handles a lot of the Cobalt issues, adan@atomicaquatics.com

I would talk through exactly what you are experiencing, they may be able to fix it for you without returning it, possibly by just replacing the keypad, which is very simple.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom