Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron,

More complete reply sent by PM. Display did not update, no menu option available, except gas mix change. No post dive screen. No revival after plug in adapter recharge attempt. I will return the dead computer when I pass through California on the way to Mexico on Saturday.

Ironically the company I work for is Finnish. Not Suunto but our Finnish engineers know Suunto stories and Suunto people. That has been the conversation at work this morning.

Michael.

These sorts of things happen especially to more advanced and newer model gear. Usually if it doesn't fail in the first few dives and it is cared for it is good for a long time. The key indicator will be the service you receive post purchase so I hope that goes well for you.

Ron,

More complete reply sent by PM. Display did not update, no menu option available, except gas mix change. No post dive screen. No revival after plug in adapter recharge attempt. I will return the dead computer when I pass through California on the way to Mexico on Saturday.

Ironically the company I work for is Finnish. Not Suunto but our Finnish engineers know Suunto stories and Suunto people. That has been the conversation at work this morning.

Michael.

Responded to your PM. About the only thing I can think of that could cause this kind of a failure is shorting/ flooding in the battery compartment, or possibly other electronics- a major scramble. Sounds like it never got out of the dive.
I think you need a new computer. I'll do my best to get you one when you pass through.

These sorts of things happen especially to more advanced and newer model gear. Usually if it doesn't fail in the first few dives and it is cared for it is good for a long time. The key indicator will be the service you receive post purchase so I hope that goes well for you.

Yes I agree. Atomic Aquatics are doing everything possible to produce a good outcome. I'm very happy with their responses. AAA+ service so far. And the retailer Scuba Toys has also stepped up with a back up plan to guarantee a good outcome. This is now looking very good a this point in time, very good indeed.

Yes I agree. Atomic Aquatics are doing everything possible to produce a good outcome. I'm very happy with their responses. AAA+ service so far. And the retailer Scuba Toys has also stepped up with a back up plan to guarantee a good outcome. This is now looking very good a this point in time, very good indeed.

That is fantastic to hear. Big fan of Atomic and ScubaToys. Good to see they are living up to their well deserved service reputation.

And I’m not sure I’d ever have any confidence in the pressure reading from an Atomic Cobalt, now that I know that they (or at least this one) can just “freeze” and show a fixed pressure reading. :depressed: As this is a piece of safety equipment I did think our readers should be reminded of this possibility. Yes I know…..always have a back up. I was using a back up computer and so I had depth info. I did not have a spare pressure gauge. However, as I was ending my dive, the fact that the pressure reading was not longer real, did not have any adverse consequences.
Always have a backup is the wrong lesson to glean from this failure, in my opinion. How about: always evaluate the data you're receiving for reasonableness. I know that my SAC rate is about X cubic feet per minute; it's been ten minutes since I last checked my pressure; what reading should I expect? I don't spend my dives doing mental arithmetic (and I have a math degree--still not my idea of leisure) but I do have a rough idea of where my gas should be as a dive progresses.

That is fantastic to hear. Big fan of Atomic and ScubaToys. Good to see they are living up to their well deserved service reputation.

Eh, pretty much what I expected since both Atomic and ScubaToys are well known for taking good care of their customers. I'm glad it's working out.

The retailer is scrambling to help me and while I have not seen anything from Atomic directly, no replies to either of the two e-mail addresses that I have supplied. Ron has told they have tried and so I don't really know what is wrong with that side of things. Per Ron they are standing by to help if the retailer cannot. And so based on Ron's inputs which I have no doubt are correct; the people at Atomic are trying their best to provide the good support that we expect from Atomic.

I am glad I purchased through Scuba Toys. I'm also very happy and grateful to Ron for shepherding this thing along so as to help ensure a good outcome.

Last edited:
I am glad I purchased through Scuba Toys. I'm also very happy and grateful to Ron for shepherding this thing along so as to help ensure a good outcome.
For anyone wondering what this is about- Scuba Toys, Atomic, and I have been working together to get a replacement Cobalt to Michael on the one day- a Saturday- when he will be in the U.S. on his way to Mexico from South Korea. Since there is no one to sign for it, it needs to be delivered to a UPS store he can easily get to. It's the sort of no-room-for-error situation where things could go wrong.
For some reason, Michael had not received emails from Darcy at Atomic- though I was copied and his name was in the "to:" header, so they went out :idk:. That made it look to Michael as if Atomic were dropping the ball- they weren't. Scuba Toys- who does have excellent customer service- quite reasonably wanted to take care of their own retail customer. Atomic stands by as a backup in case there is any problem, but their basic role is to support their dealer. We're all working to get Michael a replacement on Saturday, hopefully resulting in a better experience.

I don't know what went wrong with Michael's Cobalt- we have not had many failures in relation to the number shipped, and each one is taken personally. We will be checking it out as soon as we get it back.

For anyone wondering what this is about- Scuba Toys, Atomic, and I have been working together to get a replacement Cobalt to Michael on the one day- a Saturday- when he will be in the U.S. on his way to Mexico from South Korea. Since there is no one to sign for it, it needs to be delivered to a UPS store he can easily get to. It's the sort of no-room-for-error situation where things could go wrong.

Cool! It's like watching an episode of Mission Impossible. (Cue tape) Dunh duh dunh duh dunh dah, dunh duh dunh duh dunh dah...

:popcorn:

Good luck, Michael! We're rootin' for ya.

Back
Top Bottom