Atomic Aquatics Z1, Alternate 2nd stage, and DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WillAbbott

Reaction score
Well, I was going to buy a Back Plate and wing next (assuming I like it, which I'm sure I will, trying one this weekend actually), however a friend mentioned that he was selling his old Suunto Air Integrated computer (at a good price, I couldn't refuse) so I'm thinking I should now do regulators next, especially since they will be $300 less expensive as I will already have the console (the computer)

I origianally was looking at the Titan or Titan LX, but found out (thanks to a good dive shop) that the Atomics Z1 would perform even better than the Titan LX and costs only a small amount more ($10-20).

I'm not a HUGE DIR follower, however I thought I'd check out of curiosity, and in case someday I move more to the DIR (Dark) Side :D

Is this regulator considered appropriate or semi-appropriately DIR? If it's not, I guess, oh well.

Is it a good regulator?

What secondary should I get for the alternate? This is one of the biggies for m, for no reason what so ever I'm actually considering setting up the regulator DIR style (long hose on primary, and alternate on necklace) So I want an alternate that breathes decent (I don't mind breathe crap, in order to get my buddy to the surface, but not 100% crap, like those low profile things breathe) but I also don't want it to free flow as I swim, or descend or anything. I've had octos flow on me, even on surface swims (except the low profile crap junk things)

Also what is the reccomended hose lengths again? I don't really want a HUGE primary hose, esspecially since I won't have a canister light or anything, I was considering something like a primary hose about the same length as non-DIR (just long enough to work, not so long that theres excess slack that would need to be stuffed in a belt, or around a canister light)

Any other info about this regulator (opinions and such) greatly appreciated, as well as any other DIR considerations for it...

No promises I will set it up DIR, but I'm leaning towards doing it, just for... Sh**s and grins :D

<EDIT>
Ok never mind the part about the hose length, I found the answer, ~5ft hose when you don't have a canister light and ~7ft when you do.
</Edit>

If you have a chance, try the 7 and the 5 footer to see which is more comfortable. Depending on your physical shape the 7 footer may suit you better. My wife and I both use the 7 footer and find it to be very comfortable.

As far as the regulator - I think you will find both the aqualung and Z1 to be great breathers. I actually have the Atomics and use the Z1 second stage as my backup. Remember that you don't want a high-performance backup unless you can tune it down, otherwise you'll get free-flow problems. A lot of regulators have an adjustment knob which can be turned in to increase cracking pressure which will avoid the free flow problems.

A lot of folks tend to be brand-loyal so you'll get lots of good discussions going about regulators - most of which I'm sure you've already read. The best advice anyone can give you, after you have done your research, is to try the regulators and see which ones suits you the best.

As far as DIR compliant. I have no comment on it. Both my wife and I have adopted some DIR gear as we feel it increases our safety and diving enjoyment, but we are not technical divers and feel most of the DIR gear is unnecessary for recreational diving (open-water). YMMV.

I haven't used the Titan first stage, but I have a couple second stages; one on a deco tank, the other as an alternate for my single tank setup. Nice regulator that I would compare to a SP Mk2+/R190.

That being said, I would buy the Atomic for a primary regulator. As far as DIR goes, I would think the Atomics would gather more *favor* than the Titan. Either way I wouldn't let it bother me. You're the one breathing it.

MD

I have tried botht he titan and a Z1 and given there nearly identical price I would definitely go with the Atomic. I prefer the way the atomic breathes and i like the adjustment option. From what I hvae gathered, all atomic regs are basically the same, especially the Z1, B1, and T1/X. They only very in the metal they use in the construction or the amount of Titanium used. I may be wrong but that is the conclusion I have come up with. When I purchase a second reg for my self I will probably get a z1, but may jump up to the M1 as what ever I buy will be a dedicated nitrox reg.

Actually you are correct. The Z1 uses zirconium coated brass, the B1 uses titanium and the M1 uses monel. I believe they state this on their website. I've never tried an Aqualung regulator, but I love my Atomics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom