Atomic Cobalt (1)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dkiely

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a chance to buy a Cobalt but its the Cobalt 1. I have read that some people had problems with magnets rusting and a few other recall notices. Is this the case with every Cobalt ever made or did they fix the problem for later production runs. Is there a time limit to fixing the issue before Atomic wont fix it anymore. Obviously with the Cobalt 2 being on the market the price on the 1 is drastically reduced and I found one for a pretty good price. Is there anything I should look at or be aware of before buying?

Thanks!

Issues like the rusting magnets due to failed sealing have been solved with injection molded magnet covers. Atomic will replace these for you if you have a problem. Ditto for problems related to the recall for a potential leak of high pressure air- you can look on Atomic’s website for serial numbers covered by the recall, but this issue is not limited by warranty. Atomic’s customer service is spectacular.

The big changes between Cobalt 1 and 2 are a much faster processor and a vastly superior, faster, and more accurate electronic compass. The Cobalt 2 is also easier to update firmware on, and allows for six gas mixes rather than three. If you use the compass a lot, you might want to consider the Cobalt 2. It that’s not a big issue, many people are still very happy with the Cobalt 1. The ease of use and interface are very similar.

Both will have a newly update firmware version available on Atomic’s website, I hope this week.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom