Atomic Cobalt for sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crass3000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

Note this question is regarding the Cobalt 1 -- Not the Cobalt 2.

I have another question about how the Cobalt works in a configuration that I have not tried except in a pool.

Over the last year I have bought a sidemount BCD and a Sidemount regulator kit. Assuming I am only using air and I am switching between two tanks of air, I understand that the Cobalt is not going to have any interface with the 2nd tank. However, I am wondering if the Cobalt would keep computing the NDL given it would still know the depth profile and time? Would it still keep a fairly accurate NDL without changing the gas in the gas profile to another tank of air? I realize it wouldn't know how much air I am breathing during the time that I am not breathing from the tank without the Cobalt attached to it. Just wondering how that would work as it would seem that it must work somehow that way if I switch to a different predefined mix of gas/nitrox. I would, of course, still be diving with an SPG on each tank and I would likely dive with a secondary wristwatch computer that I could use for time but I'm assuming the Cobalt would still keep the time.

So basically would the Cobalt keep an accurate NDL without switching to a second gas even though the 2nd gas is still air? Or would it work but I would need to keep switching so it knows I am on a different tank but it knows the gas?

Thanks for any input you have.

Mike

Mike,

Your assumption is correct. The only issue is that if you don't change on the Cobalt to the 2nd tank, your gas consumption calculations in the log will be incorrect- it will look to the Cobalt as if you are breathing at a much lower rate than actual. If you did use the gas switch function when you switched to the second tank, then the figures for gas consumption and CF/M would be accurate.

The deco calculations are not affected by the gas calculations- you can dive the Cobalt without connecting it to any tank if you want.

Ron

not relevant to most of the post, but if you have a cobalt on one tank I wouldn't bother with putting another SPG on that bottle. AI computers that are hard lined are going to be pretty darn accurate, so adding an SPG is just extra cost and clutter. Reliability is as good as you are about changing batteries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom