Atomic Cobalt glare

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dabutler55

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently purchased an Atomic Cobalt computer. I must say that I am TOTALLY impressed with it.
At depth it is extremely easy to see and use. The only thing that I didn't like was that it had a lot of
glare on the screen at shallow level (safety stop). Does anyone know of a way (screen protector?)
to reduce that glare and make it easier to see in shallow/clear water?

I recently purchased an Atomic Cobalt computer. I must say that I am TOTALLY impressed with it.
At depth it is extremely easy to see and use... Does anyone know of a way (screen protector?)
to reduce that glare and make it easier to see in shallow/clear water?

Dabutler55,

I too am about to purchase the Atomic Cobalt...so it is reassuring to see others are liking the computer as much as I hope to. :luxhello:

There was a lengthy thread concerning the Cobalt in which one poster made a reference to a military grade screen protector…manufactured by Zagg. They indicated that the Zagg Screen Protectors were some of the best in the world. At the time Zagg did not produce one that would fit the Atomic Cobalt, but today I noticed they do.

Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Screen Protector | invisibleSHIELD by ZAGG

While I have never purchased a Zagg product, reading their promo and from the way the Scubaboard poster liked them, I thought I would give one a try. Also on the thread another poster mentioned that the factory screen protector that comes with the Cobalt did not keep theirs safe when their computer went through some coral. While this sounds a little bit like neglect on the diver’s part, I was not there to see all of the circumstances. But for $15 the protection it might offer seems reasonable for a $1200 instrument.

While I am not endorsing Zagg Screen protectors but here is what they say about their product.
  • Military grade patented material engineered for your Atomic Aquatics Cobalt
  • Unique properties provide self-healing qualities
  • Includes free lifetime replacement warranty for the life of your device
I do not know if this product will cut down on glare, but at least it might be an additional layer of protect.
Enjoy the Cobalt…:snorkel:

Michael

Last edited:
Thank you Michael. I agree that spending 15 to [possibly] save 1200 just makes sense. I will check out the Zagg product.

David

Does the Cobalt come with a plastic shield like many other computers? If yes I suggest you remove the shield and replace with the Zagg. The plastic shields are responsible for a lot of visibility problems. One of the positive things about the Mares Icon was the use a screen protector in lieu of a plastic shield.

I replaced the plastic shields on my three computers, with the Zagg with much improved readability.

Cobalt comes with a fairly nice screen protector, like a Zagg but thinner and a glossier texture. I haven't experienced any glare problems with my Cobalt, but upgraded to the Zagg simply because thicker screen protection is better screen protection.

The protector that comes with the Cobalt is (I'm told) the same material as the Zagg, but it is quite a bit thinner. People seem to really like the Zagg protectors. Just to reassure the Cobalt owners, if for some reason you seriously gouged the lens (it has happened) replacing it, while a factory procedure, is quite easily done. Just keep the water out and it can be fixed.

Glare in the sunny shallows (something we don't see much here in the Northwest) and in bright sunlight is a problem for emissive screens generally. The DOWN button will toggle through brightness levels when in dive mode, and more brightness will help, but the problem is basically that while a LCD screen (which is reflecting light) becomes more visible in bright light, an OLED (which is emitting light) becomes less so. Like most things, compromise is a fact of life. The screen protectors may have some anti-glare properties, but we didn't see much difference with them or with flat vs. curved lenses. I find myself shading the screen with my hand if it's needed.

Ron

Ron R,
I know this is off the intent of the thread:eek:fftopic: and to others i apologize, but I would like to thank you for your fidelity to the Atomic Cobalt Dive Computer on this forum.

I currently use a complicated air intra-grated air wrist model that I have to read the operator’s manual for hours to try and remember how it works each dive trip. On a couple of trips I or my daughter who has the same model, have had glitches with its performance. On my most recent trip to Thailand, once again a Glitch…the dive operator loaned me a simple to use Suunto and I had it figured out in a matter of minutes…so I learned that my first Dive Computer, that I bought on the recommendation of a Dive Shop, really was overly complicated. Since I have lost faith in my wrist computer, I started to rely on my back-up consol gauges and decided to go with a more intuitive consol computer.

A couple of weeks ago, I contacted my favorite LDS in Denver (not the same one who sold my daughter and I our first dive computers) to ask about a Suunto brand of consol computer. ..the same brand that I used in Thailand. Upon his suggestions, I looked into the Atomic Cobalt. While I still like what I have researched about the Suuntos, since I like other Atomic products, so I thought I would look. At first there was sticker shock…for $1200 I can do a lot with other options. Then I found the massive Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer thread that you were so vivid in. I read all 716+ posting and was overwhelmed with your advice and responses to inquiries. I also downloaded and read the Cobalt’s manual and will be watching the videos soon. But I fully understood the menu system and this computer seem to fit my selection parameters very well.:glad:

Primarily based your postings, I not only feel that I am making a good choice, I am getting full value (customer support) for the purchase price. Two days ago I purchased my Cobalt and the LSD is sending it to me here in the Middle East. I am excited to test it soon. THere have been bery few purchases that I felt this good about prior to actually buying the product. I will keep the wrist computer for redundancy…but I am leaning on purchasing either the Suunto D4 or D6 for a replacement. Or perhaps by that time Atomic will have their wrist model out on the market. For the most part I am waiting for next year’s DEMA show and look at all makes and models at once.

Sir, once again thank you.

Michael

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you for the advice. I am diving
Roatan and Turneff Key over Christmas. I will post any differences
I see with the Zagg screen protector when I get back

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom