Atomic Cobalt or Mares Icon HD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

naomi143

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys! I was hoping someone could help me choose between an Atomic Cobalt and Mares Icon HD. I've been reading reviews on the Atomic and it seems the opinions are mixed. Some love it and some have said that it's difficult hard to hear the warnings underwater. As for the Mares Icon, I haven't been able to find many reviews about it at all. I like the concept, but still leary of having pseudo-intergrated dive watch. What are some of your opinions? Any help is tremendously appreciated!

Some love it and some have said that it's difficult hard to hear the warnings underwater.
I complained about the difficulty of hearing the alerts after I first started diving mine. With a recent software update (I forget which one), it is much easier to hear now. I can usually hear my buddies (he dives a Cobalt, also) at about 15 feet away when he hits 750 psi.

I wouldn't buy either. The Mares has had lots of problems and battery life seems aneamic. My personal preference is wrist mount so the Atomic is out. If my wrist wasn't so small Id buy a Luna, if I had the money I'd buy a Liquivison Lynx.

Some love it and some have said that it's difficult hard to hear the warnings underwater.

Do you often dive with a hood or in noisy environments? Just wondering. I took my new Cobalt for around 16 dives in Bonaire in December & I could hear the alarms if memory serves.

Richard.

Thanks guys! Yea I figured the Mares may have some issues. My main concern with with the hoseless computer is losing link with the transmitter. Just seems the whole point of integrating depth gauge and tank pressure is to lose excess hoses.... but what's the point if you need a backup pressure gauge in case the link is lost? I checked out the Luna and Lynx, Bhuddha. The Luna sort of threw me off with the heart monitor for free divers. I listen to cardiac monitors 3-4 days a week and it would pretty much suck having to over analyze my own body mechanics while trying to enjoy a dive. I'm still open to other suggestions besides the computers I listed. Basically I'm looking for something safe, user friendly, and doesn't go overboard for my recreational diving needs.

Richard, I've never splashed with a hood and pretty much the only time I've dealt with a noisy environment is diving the soundside along the Gulf Coast. You'll get the occasional boat passing by, but max depth is about 30ft for anything worth seeing.

Thanks guys! Yea I figured the Mares may have some issues. My main concern with with the hoseless computer is losing link with the transmitter. Just seems the whole point of integrating depth gauge and tank pressure is to lose excess hoses.... but what's the point if you need a backup pressure gauge in case the link is lost? I checked out the Luna and Lynx, Bhuddha. The Luna sort of threw me off with the heart monitor for free divers. I listen to cardiac monitors 3-4 days a week and it would pretty much suck having to over analyze my own body mechanics while trying to enjoy a dive. I'm still open to other suggestions besides the computers I listed. Basically I'm looking for something safe, user friendly, and doesn't go overboard for my recreational diving needs.

Richard, I've never splashed with a hood and pretty much the only time I've dealt with a noisy environment is diving the soundside along the Gulf Coast. You'll get the occasional boat passing by, but max depth is about 30ft for anything worth seeing.

Naomi, the heart rate feature on the Luna is an optional extra, in my opinion an unnecessary one. There are many 1st hand user posts on this board have a wee look around. Although don't own one have played with one and had a pretty good look at the manual. It does look good. if you have the time or inclination go to Scubastore.com, make sure the country is showing as UK or Japan, and look at the manual, I tried to attach but the file is too large.

The AI on the Luna/Sol seems pretty reliable, the only, very few, negative reports have been "momentary" loss of signal. If you are doing open water rec diving having a back up is not so important if by chance you do lose signal then the dive is aborted, shouldn't in itself cause a real problem more an inconvenience. Personally I would carry a simple brass and glass SPG for redundancy given the cost of a dive trip would hate to miss the second dive to to transmitter issues. One less hoes does not really make much difference to anything, people often make reference to "streamlining" I fail to see how one hose makes any significant difference in this respect.

I like the look of the Lynx for 3 reasons, Liquivison have exemplary customer service, the Lynx is very small and its OLED. I do a lot of night diving so having the OLED screen makes things so much easier i.e not having to turn light on or shine light on comp.

If you want cheap, functional, simple and reliable then have a look at the Suunto Zoop and/or Vyper. They are a nice size not too big not too small, have user replaceable batteries and very long battery life. I have used both for some years with Zero issues. Added bonus DeepSeaSupply make a bungee mount for them which makes putting on and off infinitely easier.

Shopping for me is half the fun. Good luck.

Link for Luna manual, manual is at bottom of page: http://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/uwatec-galileo-luna-with-tran/6000/p

Last edited:

Your thinking is somewhat naive. You don't do wireless AI to drop a hose-- that's not it. You still should use a small backup SPG. The purpose of AI to to show tank pressure in the computer display with other essential info. The second purpose to allow real time computation of air time.

As far as the HR monitor, that should not be a reason to get or not get Luna or Sol, unless it's something you want, in which case the Sol is the one to get. It does not come with the Luna but can be purchased as an option.

If I were in the market for a recreational computer at this time I'd get either the Luna/Sol or the new Lynx with its OLED display.

Adam

..... I'm still open to other suggestions besides the computers I listed. Basically I'm looking for something safe, user friendly, and doesn't go overboard for my recreational diving needs. ......
Well .... last time I did check we had more than 100 models in our database :depressed:

Give a try to our Dive Computers Research Tool, browse our collection of online classes to see various models in action, and, for a more in depth test, load the models that interest you in our eDiving Scuba Diving simulator and take them for a test ride (virtual). (The Mares HD will be available in a couple of weeks)

Alberto (aka eDiver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom