Atomic Cobalt or Mares Icon HD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Without getting too far into it, I'd recommend against basing a decision entirely on feature lists. Get your hands on the computer if at all possible and see how easy it is to access the features. Try to depend some time looking at them in a dive shop.

Full disclosure: I'm one of the designers of the Cobalt.

Ron

Well it hasn't been entirely on features, but one feature I really want is the air integration. I've checked out a lot of YouTube videos to get a good idea on the size of each computer, readability of the screen underwater, and ease with the buttons. I'm pretty good at figuring out gadgets, but you're right... I whole heartedly believe accessibility is key. It's what caught my eye the most with the Cobalt and Cobra. I liked how each button was large and spaced out uniformly. Ultimately, I decided not to go wireless. The technology may have improved, but my habit of misplacing items has not. BTW thumbs up on a badass design!

I have owned 5 different Suunto computers (both wrist and console), a simple "puck" style and a Zeagle N2iTion (my current computer). They all had one thing in common... every season I would have to sit down with the computer and manual for a few hours to re-learn the menus and button functions. Even after that I would still forget how to call up some menus or functions while on a dive. I am a professional photographer. I work with computers and pro digital cameras daily, so I am used to complicated menu interfaces. But if you don"t work with them daily it is easy to forget the various menus and commands.

I agree with RonR on the role the interface plays in using a dive computer. The Cobalt will be my next computer. It is the only unit that I have ever been able to pickup (in the store) and operate without ever looking at the manual. The menu is simple to follow, the display is well organized, easy to read, and it is easy to operate. I would like a wrist unit but it's not a deal breaker for me. If they did reduce the size of the display to fit a wrist mount I think the Cobalt would lose some of it's readablility. I had a Cobra some years ago and hose mounted AI was fine, until I bought a Suunto Stinger that I could also wear as a wrist watch. The purchase of the N2iTion a few years ago was due to the need for a larger display for aging eyes. I can read the Cobalt display without my glasses or mask Optix.

My plan is to use the Cobalt as an AI clipped to my left waist D ring. I would also wear my Suunto compass on my left wrist and the N2iTion on my right wrist as backups. I have two HP ports available on my first stage so I may leave my SPG attached to one (again as a backup) and clip off the analog SPG to my right waist D ring, but I still havent decided. First I need the $$$ for the Cobalt.

Last edited:
Oh okay! Yeah I've clicked around their 'Used Equipment' link... it's actually where the Mares Icon caught my eye and what spawned my initial question on this thread. I haven't checked out their forum though.
Another asset is the Scuba Toys forum, lot's of good deals are posted by members.

Cool! Let us know how you like it. I am curious and might upgrade from my Wisdom 2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom