Atomic Cobalt reliability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kroorda

Contributor
Reaction score
I own an Atomic Cobalt computer, and know four other people who also own Cobalt computers (five people). Virtually every one of us have had to send our Cobalts' back for repair and/or replacement. My computer has been replaced three times (I'm on my fourth one now). On the first computer, not all the pushbuttons worked. My second computer flooded (Yes, it was connected securely to it's hose). On my third computer, the display whacked out and was unreadable. Now, I'm using the fourth computer that was sent to me. Each time I send a computer in, Atomic does NOT tell me what was wrong or what they had to do to fix it. (It only makes sense that they wouldn't put their failures in writing as it could lead to a recall, or even legal action). My wife's Cobalt has also failed. It completely stopped working, and had to be replaced. Now, her replacement computer intermittently shows 0 psi of air when it is connected to a full tank of air. It also suddenly drops to 0 psi in the middle of a dive. Our other three friends who also have Cobalt computers have ALL experienced failures with their computers and have had to send them in for repair or replacement.

Is it strange that Atomic/Huish does not have a manufacturers sub-forum on this forum?

As many have probably seen, the Cobalts' do very well in tests, and comparisons' with other computers. However, one VERY IMPORTANT THING that is not tested or considered is reliability. If I was just considering the reliability of my own computer, I might consider the failures with my Atomic Cobalts to be bad luck. But, when virtually ALL the people that I know of, who own Cobalt computers, have had failures, and needed replacements, it is more than obvious that an Atomic Cobalt computer is extremely unreliable, that they are prone to failure, and that anyone diving with an Atomic Cobalt should carry a backup computer. I personally have never seen any device, in the dive industry that has been so prone to failure.

Most unfortunately, those who own an Atomic Cobalt are much like Apple Computer owners: Since they paid so much money for the device, they assume that they bought the very best, and, if they do have a failure, they go into denial, and certainly do not discuss the failure with others'.

With the five of us who own Cobalt computers, the rate of failure has been greater than 5 out of 5. That is because, for most of us, we have even experienced failures with replacement or repaired computers that have been sent back to us.

Again, Atomic appears to have NO statistics on what things are failing in the computers, or how often the computers are failing. When a replacement/repaired computer is sent back to a customer, it is sent back in a box with NO paperwork, and nothing indicating what was found wrong, what was replaced, or what was repaired. While some people rave about Atomic, and the fact that Atomic replaces defective products (no questions asked), I find it to be shocking that a product that our lives depend on, has so many failures, yet has never been recalled.

I only know 3 people that have a cobalt or cobalt II. All of them have had to send them back for repair several times. I personally do not own one but I have been on a dive boat and had to lend out a computer to them so they can dive.

I own an Atomic Cobalt computer, and know four other people who also own Cobalt computers (five people). Virtually every one of us have had to send our Cobalts' back for repair and/or replacement. My computer has been replaced three times (I'm on my fourth one now). On the first computer, not all the pushbuttons worked. My second computer flooded (Yes, it was connected securely to it's hose). On my third computer, the display whacked out and was unreadable. Now, I'm using the fourth computer that was sent to me. Each time I send a computer in, Atomic does NOT tell me what was wrong or what they had to do to fix it. (It only makes sense that they wouldn't put their failures in writing as it could lead to a recall, or even legal action). My wife's Cobalt has also failed. It completely stopped working, and had to be replaced. Now, her replacement computer intermittently shows 0 psi of air when it is connected to a full tank of air. It also suddenly drops to 0 psi in the middle of a dive. Our other three friends who also have Cobalt computers have ALL experienced failures with their computers and have had to send them in for repair or replacement.

Is it strange that Atomic/Huish does not have a manufacturers sub-forum on this forum?

Koorda, not only does Atomic have a manufacturer’s forum here on ScubaBoard, you posted to it regarding Cobalts just a few days ago, post # 9 in this thread:http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/atomic-aquatics/502948-cobalt-kept-shutting-off-during-dive.html , a post to which I relied with questions and an offer of help regarding your wife’s Cobalt, and an explanation of what might possibly be wrong. The offer of help stands. It sounds as if you have experienced an unusual number of problems, and I'd like to understand what they are and why.

I’ll take very strong issue with the suggestion that Atomic is hiding anything for legal or any other reasons. Unlike many computer manufacturers, Atomic is still directly run by a couple of dedicated divers who care deeply about what they do. I’ve been working with them for 10 years, and their integrity is unimpeachable.

As many have probably seen, the Cobalts' do very well in tests, and comparisons' with other computers. However, one VERY IMPORTANT THING that is not tested or considered is reliability. If I was just considering the reliability of my own computer, I might consider the failures with my Atomic Cobalts to be bad luck. But, when virtually ALL the people that I know of, who own Cobalt computers, have had failures, and needed replacements, it is more than obvious that an Atomic Cobalt computer is extremely unreliable, that they are prone to failure, and that anyone diving with an Atomic Cobalt should carry a backup computer. I personally have never seen any device, in the dive industry that has been so prone to failure.
<snip>
Again, Atomic appears to have NO statistics on what things are failing in the computers, or how often the computers are failing. When a replacement/repaired computer is sent back to a customer, it is sent back in a box with NO paperwork, and nothing indicating what was found wrong, what was replaced, or what was repaired. While some people rave about Atomic, and the fact that Atomic replaces defective products (no questions asked), I find it to be shocking that a product that our lives depend on, has so many failures, yet has never been recalled.

Obviously, if Cobalt failures generally had been at the rate you are describing, Atomic would not be selling them. There are many thousands in the field now, and I've personally seen many of those with 4-500+ dives on them. Atomic has a well deserved reputation for high quality products and they do not let defects go uncorrected. That there have been problems, particularly with very early production, is something that we and Atomic have been very open about here on ScubaBoard. I’d put that in rather stark contrast to other manufacturers who don’t admit to or address issues openly. A little searching SB will show that distinction quite clearly.

Known failure modes, like rusting magnets due to poor sealing, or leaking battery seals, were dealt with through redesign of parts of the case. There was a serious problem- traced to defective depth sensors reading excess depth- in early production of the Cobalt 2. Atomic halted production for several months until this issue could be clearly identified. As I’ve noted and extensively discussed here before, this was not poor design or assembly on Atomic’s part, but bad luck. This is the identical depth sensor that is or has been used by many other dive computers, including Uwatec, Suunto, and Shearwater. The failure was such that it did not appear in test dives at the factory, so it created a lot of returns. Because of the production related nature of some of these issues, they tended to occur in batches, that can make them seem general if you have, or know of, computers in those runs.

And there in fact was a recall on some Cobalt 1 production- a fact prominently displayed on Atomic’s website. This was voluntarily initiated by Atomic and had to do with an assembly error potentially creating a high pressure air leak. Very few defective units were found, but this recall was by far the largest cause of returns and repairs.

I’ve been professionally in the diving business at the manufacturing level with a variety of companies for over 30 years. And I’m privy to and have extensively analyzed all the defect logging for Cobalts since day one. I can tell you that the overall failure rate is not significantly different from other sophisticated, new to production products. Is it greater than, say, a puck module the basic design for which has been in production for 10 years? Yes. The Cobalt is on many levels a much more sophisticated product than other dive computers on the market, and with that sophistication comes a greater opportunity for things to go wrong. The compass chip in the Cobalt 1, for instance, was a early generation and had an unacceptable failure rate. Atomic replaced many Cobalts for that chip’s failure. The compass in the Cobalt 2 has seen a failure rate of less than one in a thousand, and is far more accurate and responsive. Most products improve and evolve in production, the Cobalt is no exception.

Atomic has often replaced Cobalts when there was no actual problem found with the unit- they have a very strong commitment to customer service and will err on the side of the customer. I agree with you that they should provide some explanation when repairing or replacing a Cobalt, though I understand that this represents possibly significant extra effort on their part. Problems aren’t always easy to explain. I have seen that they do usually provide explanations for repairs to customers, so I'm curious why that did not happen in your case. Were these returned directly, or through a shop?

While I have been available and anxious to help here on SB, and am more than willing to troubleshoot and explain Cobalt issues, I would need more specific information on the problems to comment.

Ron

Ron, Thank you for your reply and extensive explanation. I do appreciate it. Unfortunately, for some reason, I did not receive your reply to the other post I made, or to this one. The reason I saw your reply on this one is because I checked back on the forum and found it. When I looked at the list for 'manufacturers forums', I did not see Atomic listed. I apologize for that. I have also edited my post (above) to delete any assumptions I may have made. Rather, it is more appropriate that I simply consider the facts, rather than make assumptions. Unfortunately, the facts, for me, are that virtually everyone I know of, who has a Cobalt, has experienced a failure, and, for me and a couple of others, some of us have experienced more than one failure and replacement computers that were sent to us also failed. Virtually every Cobalt that has ever been sent to me (whether it was a replacement or a repair) has come back with no explanation whatsoever, as to what was repaired, replaced, etc. In fact, the only way I was able to determine whether computers sent to me were repaired or replaced is by the serial number on them. For sure, it would be both helpful and informative if the repair order indicated if: The computer was replaced, if the display was replaced, if a sensor was replaced, if NO problem was found, etc. I have been involved in electronics for many years (including the servicing of electronic equipment) and I have learned the importance of 'providing information' to customers. Without information, a customer is left to 'assuming and guessing'; each of which usually lead to negative results. Last week, I sent an email to Atomic; stating that my wife's Cobalt was not always showing the air pressure, and, I asked for an RA to return the product. I did not go into my past experience with Cobalts. Nevertheless, I received absolutely NO reply from Atomic to the email I sent them (which has also been my experience in the past). So, as you can see, not only has my experience with Cobalts been adverse, but the customer service from Atomic has been minimal, and has definitely been indicative of a company who really doesn't care. I must say that you, and your efforts are very commendable and reflect in a very positive way on Atomic. But, it would sure be nice if the other people would take the time to return phone calls, email requests for service, etc.
In answer to your question as to how I submitted my Atomic equipment in the past, I have sent it directly as I understand that a dive shop is in no way qualified to do anything more than change a battery in a dive computer.
Thank you again for your reply. I am now going to go and check my 'personal preferences/settings' on the forum to see if I can determine why I did not get an email message when you posted a reply. Thanks again.

My wife and I both have Cobalts, and have had zero issues with either. However, we live in the land of ice, and I can't get her to dive under it, so, in those 3 years we've only accumulated just shy of 250 dives on each, so maybe we don't use them that hard.

I've only noticed one other diver, on a dive boat, with a Cobalt, and his experience echoed ours. I would buy another in a heartbeat, and am actually planning to, when they have a wrist mount available.

We have had issues with our Cobalts but 1st time they sent us a brand new unit (bad button on brand new unit). Other issues with a faulty thermresistor and was sent in to be fixed but was still diveable. The buttons on that unit were never 100% and even after the fix were still a bit troublesome. It's now our backup as my wife liked her unit so much I bought her a Cobalt 2 for her birthday and use the slightly glitchy 1 as a backup. Though we have never had a unit totally fail while diving or on a dive trip.

We have had a backup Zoop fail along with a Oceanic Bud as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have finally given up on my Cobalt. I have sent it back to Atomic on two occasions - Compass issues and magnets rusting. I know mine was the version 1, but I don't care. I paid a lot of money for it and I never expected to have to send it back to the manufacture. The final straw was on my last dive, it would intermittently would show a depth of 0, even though I was over 30 ft in depth. I loved the display and the ease of use, but I am tired of its reliability. There are just two many other options out there to have to put up with it. Yes, Atomic (and Ron) have been very helpful with solving problems, but I didn't buy it to get to know the manufacture's employees on a first name basis.

......As I&#8217;ve noted and extensively discussed here before, this was not poor design or assembly on Atomic&#8217;s part, but bad luck.... Ron

You guys seem to have a lot of "bad luck", not sure I would want to buy or dive with that amount of bad luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom