Atomic M1 or Z3, or Apeks XTX200 or XTX50? Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muteki

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I’m debating which regulator to buy, and have it narrowed down. I'm leaning toward the Apeks XTX200. However, my eyes are bleeding from doing a ton of research, and I'd like some other opinions.

My considerations are:
- Cold water compatibility. I've got Scapa Flow and Lofoten Islands on the wish list, which is also my saving-up-for list...
- Tech-readiness. I prefer wreck dives, and my goals are tech diving, and possibly search & rescue. I don't want to have to buy another regulator later on.
- My LDS services both Apeks and Atomic, but in conversation the guy really talked up Atomics.

Apeks:
XTX200 or XTX50 - The biggest differences are in the first stage -- the XTX200's first stage has a removable seat and angled ports. How big a difference does this make? It sounds like pairing the FSR 1st stage with an XTX50 2nd would be great, but I'm not seeing a way to do that easily.

Atomic:
M1 or Z3: The only differences I can see are cosmetic/comfort, materials in the first stage, and Nitrox readiness (50% vs. 40%). Do these really mean enough to warranty the price difference between the two models? The differences in the 2nd stages seem negligible.

Some other thoughts:
Diaphragm vs. piston -- I've read that diaphragm assemblies are better in cold water, so that's a consideration. +1 for Apeks?
Atomic - has automatic air flow adjustment. Is it really a big deal?
Which one is more serviceable when traveling internationally, e.g. in Europe, S/C America?

In the kind of water temperatures I'm imagining at Scapa Flow you'll want the Atomics sealed so add $40 to the price and for every service. I really like Atomics but might go Apeks in your situation - they're made to perform in cold water. Also what you read is true to a point - diaphragms are inherently better in cold since almost all the mechanicals in the first stage are shielded behind the diaphragm.

No swivel on the M1 2nd if that's an issue. I like mine but it may be considered a failure point by tech divers.

my .02....

I suggest one with a swivel and 5th LP port (at the bottom) for hose routing. DIN would be best for down the line if you go tech.

In case you have a preference, Atomic is piston, Apeks is diaphragm. Both will perform great.

The XTX 200 and XTX 50 2nd stages are identical internally, with only cosmetic differences on the outside.

If Tech is in the future, option is between the M1 and DST/XTX 50. FSR is "ok" for doubles routing, but isn't great and also doesn't have the swivel to be used if you go SM.

Atomics are more money and a bigger hassle (has to be sealed with Christolube, has to be cleaned with a pressurized tank because of the seat saving orifice.

Can't go wrong with the Apeks as they are universally respected and have global support. Atomics are well respected, but have less global support.

The M1 is marketed as good to 80% and comes sealed. It is commonly used with 100% based on comments I have seen.

Neither of them are ideal cold water regs if cold means really cold. The two regs that have passed the US navy cold water reg tests and are still sold are the Mares abyss navy and a Poseidon model that I can't remember off hand.

Since you mention cold water, as much as I like Atomic, I have to say sealed diaphragm will be a slightly better choice. Between XTX200 and XTX50, I would choose XTX50 mainly because the 1st stage flexibility. It is good for back mount double, it is also good for side mount.

FWIW my main set was an FSR and two XTX50s. I also owned a DS4 and couldn't tell the difference. The hose routing for single tank BM was better on the FSR but the DS4 was fine. The removable cap is only handy if a careless tech scratches it or it gets corroded usually caused by a flood at some stage. Sometimes the corrosion or scratch can be "cleaned" up. If not, no problem with the FSR you just get a new seat, on any other Apeks reg you'll need a new body. You can buy separate 1st and 2nd stages items from many places. Assuming you are based in the EU any Apeks dealer can order you the items seperately. If you're not in the EU PM me.

Apeks, very reliable, easy to self service, service kits relatively easy to get. I used them for many years and have no hesitation in recommending them.

I dive cold and dirty water so prefer diaphragm regs. I owned a Z2 years ago, it was nice but performed no better than my Apeks. I sold it. Agree the 5th port, which can be later added to the FSR is nice for long hose or 40" under arm routing.

Added: Only latest FSR can be fitted with 5th port.

Last edited:
Out of the ones you mentioned I have owned Atomic Z series and Apeks XTX-50. If you had said tropical diving then I would recommend Atomic Z3 but since you mentioned cold water I would recommend XTX-50. There is very minor difference between XTX-50 and 200 so save yourself some money. Apeks is being used by almost all the navies in European nations as well as the Canadian navy which is deployed up in the Arctic.

Atomic M1 is a sealed piston design that is marketed as the cold water flagship regulator for Atomic. As others pointed out it requires a christolube sealing job which has the tendency to seap out of the reg upon pressurization. If it is serviced by an amateur tech then it can be an issue but if you plan on sending it to the manufacturer for service or have an expert service tech then it should be less of a hassle. The service interval may be longer on Atomics but you may want to check up on that.

I don't dive doubles but would have thought with the 5th port the FSR would be fine, no?

The FSRs i had were ATX series so no 5th port option. The doubles hose routing should work fine, although again not good for sidemount and has angled hp ports.

If you find a set used they work fine, if you are buying all brand new go with the xtx 50s.

Back
Top Bottom