Atomic o ring blew at 60'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW: HP spools leaking is common, they swivel and have high pressure so inevitable they leak. As other said, the pin hole restriction in the reg keeps the actual air loss minimal. It can be startling, but not a big deal. A low pressure hose failing or tank o-ring is a lot more excitement due to higher volume of air.

True, that’s one reason many divers just change the whole spool rather than fool with those little O-rings. Another is that corrosion may have compromised the O-ring grooves in the spool.

The HP spool are probably one of the most neglected parts of a dive kit. Long soaking times help but really one needs to remove the SPG and clean the hose and spool on a regular basis. I have replaced HP on several trips for other people. They cost me $1 and I usually get a beer in return for "saving" their dive or at least their piece of mind.

Last edited:
Does the whole spool not come out? They're only about 70 cents.

On the Cobalt QD the hose connection isn't a normal spool, it's an end of the QD that is the same size and uses the same O-ring as a spool fitting- like 1/2 of a spool integrated into the base of the QD fitting.

The O-ring at the other end of the QD, the one that goes into the computer, should be serviced regularly too. It's subjected to wear whenever the QD fitting is engaged. It does require some extra sensitivity training to persuade it to go on. I believe Atomic recommends servicing it when you do your regulators.

Ron

On the Cobalt QD the hose connection isn't a normal spool, it's an end of the QD that is the same size and uses the same O-ring as a spool fitting- like 1/2 of a spool integrated into the base of the QD fitting…

ASSuming did it to me again, I stand corrected. Using a spool on computer QDs is so common I never thought to check the Atomic adapter. In that case, you do have to deal with replacing the tiny O-ring.

It helps to use a pencil eraser to get the new o-ring started. Lay the o-ring on the eraser and press the spool down into it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom