Atomic Z1 vs ScubaPro MK25/S600 or G250

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Z1 (and an M1 for cold water) and have been very happy with it.

It breathes like a dream and has been very reliable. Unless you physically damage it (crush, melt, etc.), I'd be amazed if you have any problems that actualy require service.

BTW, you probably don't need the B2, it's big claim to fame is that it's made out of titanium. The weight savings is irrelevant, since whatever you save will just end up on your weight belt, and if you're willing to rinse your gear off when you get done diving, the corrosion resistance probably won't make a noticable difference for you.

Same for the M1. I've got one and I love it, but if you're not diving in 35 degree water, the extra money won't get you anything you'll notice.

The ScubaPro is also excellent, and I'd buy whichever one I could get a better deal on.

Terry

bleon:
My husband and I are fairly new to diving (@25 dives). We've decided to purchase regs and are trying to decide between the Atomic Z1 and the ScubaPro MK25/S600 or G250. I haven't seen a lot of information on the Z1, but of course seen plenty on the SP. I wanted to get any opinions on the Z1 itself and compared to the SP. The B2 is just too expensive for us since we're buying 2 of everything. By the way, we've narrowed it down to these based on LDS in our area.

We'll be doing mostly warm water recreational diving but would like to keep our options open for the future.

Thanks for any help. I've really found this board to be full of great information.

Web Monkey:
I have a Z1 (and an M1 for cold water) and have been very happy with it.

It breathes like a dream and has been very reliable. Unless you physically damage it (crush, melt, etc.), I'd be amazed if you have any problems that actualy require service.

BTW, you probably don't need the B2, it's big claim to fame is that it's made out of titanium. The weight savings is irrelevant, since whatever you save will just end up on your weight belt, and if you're willing to rinse your gear off when you get done diving, the corrosion resistance probably won't make a noticable difference for you.

Same for the M1. I've got one and I love it, but if you're not diving in 35 degree water, the extra money won't get you anything you'll notice.

The ScubaPro is also excellent, and I'd buy whichever one I could get a better deal on.

Terry

Thanks Terry, that was helpful.

My wife and I have SP Mk25/G600 units. We do exactly the same type of diving that you do (warm water trips and live aboards). These units are tremendous. Also, I feel that we could field repair them if required during a trip. My wife is very sensitive to cracking pressure, and she finds this combo. to be very relaxing. We've both noticed that our air consumption dropped after getting these units, a nice side benefit.

Update on our dilemma. We went to the LDS and asked about the Atomic. Our LDS pointed out having to hook up the Atomics to the tank in order to clean it, (he didn't praise it but didn't slam it either). Pointed us towards the Aqualungs or Apex. So now we're back to researching between the SP MK25/S600 or Aqualung Legend LX. Any opinions?

Thanks in advance.

bleon:
Our LDS pointed out having to hook up the Atomics to the tank in order to clean it...
Not exactly true. You simply just don't want water to travel from the second stage to the first stage via the low pressure hose. You can easily soak both stages without allowing water to travel between them. Keeping the second stage pressurized is just the more complicated way of doing that.

bleon:
Update on our dilemma. We went to the LDS and asked about the Atomic. Our LDS pointed out having to hook up the Atomics to the tank in order to clean it, (he didn't praise it but didn't slam it either). Pointed us towards the Aqualungs or Apex. So now we're back to researching between the SP MK25/S600 or Aqualung Legend LX. Any opinions?
Thanks in advance.

You're getting a sales job.

There isn't a regulator in the world that's happy getting water inside the first stage.

They all require that you either keep it on a tank while rinsing or use the rubber plug (supplied with the reg).

Terry

The Atomic, unlike most regs, unloads the second stage valve when unpressurized so there is a concern that water can migrate from it to the first stage via the hose. As a practical matter, it is not a problem at all (just keep the hose looped up when soaking) but some care is required. It is incorrect that the reg must be pressurized, however.

Thanks everyone for all your help. We ended up purchasing the Legend LX. Now to try them this weekend in Turks and Caicos! I can't wait!

-Becky

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom