Attaching a DSLR to a diver!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank:
I'm NO expert. I have ONE dive on this wreck (which was a blast BTW), and then can only repeat the experience of others. So you read my experience. Others have reported everything from zero current top or bottom to 6' seas and very difficult conditions (it is the ocean after all :D ).

On the day I dove the sea was a pond (always nice) but the current at the surface was strong.

It does seem as if the current is generally stronger at the surface.

Maybe someone like Brent from BlueWaterDivers (he has dove this wreck more time than I've been diving in total) can chime in.

While I live full time in Michigan, I have a place in the Key Largo that has allowed me to get in a couple of hundred dives in the Upper Keys -including 40+sh dives on the wrecks of the Duane, Eagle and Spiegel Grove.

The Duane and the SG usually have more current on a frequent basis than does the Eagle primarily based on to their relationship to the prevailing offshore current.

That being said you just never know in advance. The key is to dive with an operation that dictates its dive schedule base on actual conditions and the abilities of the divers. Many of the big operations stick with their schedule as they take mixed skills groups of divers out the the wrecks and "do the best" that they can to make everybody happy.

I almost always use smaller operations with 6packs or 30' Island Hoppers that know how to manage skill levels and are willing to give a true site assessment and then the divers make the final call.

On the dives I earlier noted we had 5 divers (4 with cameras including one image contributor to Scuba Diving magazine) with lots of experience and a couple with cave diving experience but limited OW skills. The Cavers (not knocks intended), especially the lady were a little ragged after the SG - as well as mighty sea sick.

As we did a long SI after we motored over to the Daune (while waiting for it to get dark), the Captain suggested to the lady that she might want to sit this dive out if she was not up to it or not feeling well. While the current had slackened a bit from the SG, a 100'+ night drift dive in the Ocean is not for inexperienced diver.

While it is always is the diver's responbility, having a Dive OP that knows how to read conditions and guide the divers makes for the most positive experience.

I hand hold mine.
I do some tech/cave dives also with long decos on cables, sometimes with current.
This have saved my housing/dome many times from an unwary knee ou tank, as it is quicker to move it than a clipped housing.
I have also seen desperated photographers trying to unclip the housings and being unable to do so before the unwary buddy's tank hit it.

I have an Oly5050/PT-10 but this is generally how I do mine. I also use the coiled lanyard you mentioned. For shore entries I hold it and clip it off to put on my fins and get submerged. On boats, if the surface is rough or there's a current, I'll use a 15' line and pick it up when I get in the water. Otherwise I have the boat capt. hand it to me. I immediately snap it to the scooter ring on my crotchstrap, I've found this holds it out of the way in case I need my arms for anything....depth permitting. I open the coil and on the way down I turn it on and get everything set. Reverse these methods when getting back on the boat.

I've been doing it this way for several years and it works for me and the locations I dive.

Tortuga Roja:
I use the snap coil you linked to. When snapped they are secure. Unsnapped, the coil is probably a weak spot. I use it snapped on shore dives while walking from my truck to the dive site (and hold the handle most of the time as well, then putting on fins and mask in the water and surface swimming. When kayak diving, I snap it to a 15' line (with a shock absorber) and pick it up on the way down and clip it off during my safety stop. On boats, it's handed off to me and I hook it to a D ring snapped until I decend. On the way down I unsnap it and turn everything on and adjust the strobes. On the way up, I resnap it so my hands are free to unhook it and hand it up to the boat.

This is an Ikelite housing with 2 ds125s and I have used this setup for close to 2 years and feel very comfortable.

This is the way I have mine set up. I also have the Ike housing and dual DS125, but I have also used this with my Aquatica an dual S200s. I do leave it snaped (coil not released) most of the time, even while shooting. On my Scubapro Classic BC I clip to the right breast D ring. I have the other end of the snap coil attached to the tray close to the right handle. This gives me enough play to shoot with in most situations. If i need more slack I just reach up and release so the coil can extend. Though I do believe in insurance, I also believe in never having to use them, I just hate having to deal with claims.

Ron I love your signature quote, "Build a man a fire,......". Reminds me of an old favorite of mine, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish and he sits around drinking beer all day."

Oh yes, by the way, my vote is ALWAYS hand hold, no clips. Much safer than having a big snaggy thing hanging from you in an emergency.

++Ken++

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom