Attaching a DSLR to a diver!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've read a bit on this subject, but thought I'd try and get opinions from those who are actually dealing with a large DSLR housing setup and strobes!

So what do you do when diving? Just hold on to the camera, and hope you never drop it?

Attach it to your BC for ascending down lines and whatnot?

Both?

How do you attach it if that is what you do?

I have one of those snap coil lines that looks like SO

Does anyone use one of these? I'll be picking a D200 housing from Reef, so I can also get some advice from them on how best to deal with this, and NOT loose the housing!

I know that diving with sharks, it's not always recommended to attach the housing to the diver as Sharks have on occasion grabbed the rig... not a pretty picture, and we HAVE photo's!

Love to here thoughts from people that dive on a regular basis with big rigs!

Thanks,

With my Aquatica I have a large bolt snap mounted on it. If and when I need to go hands free, I clip it off on my left hip D-ring. I avoid clipping it off on my left shoulder D-ring in case I have to deploy my primary.

I hand hold it.

I have a caribiner thingy on the housing handle that I can quickly clip off to one of my clips (bolt snaps are great, I also have just the brass clip ones) if I need to go hands free.

On your shark dives I wouldn't clip it off...I don't clip it off when I am using it at all. And on the sharks, I believe you are pretty shallow with no wall so you can always go get it once the playful pups drop it :wink:

I always hand hold mine. A big dSLR setup with 2 strobes is not really easy to clip on to anything without it getting in a way.

If I really need 2 hands for something briefly, I just hang the setup by the strope arms on the hook of my arm. Not the best solution but so far it is ok. Or else I just rest it on the bottom and do whatever I have to do.

dbh:
I hold mine always....no clips....nothing!

If I let it go, it will be a dire emergency....then I will deal w/ my Insurance company.

Dave
I used to feel that way until I had to blow a bag once. Then I was glad to clip it off. I don't bring anything with me that I can't clip off now. OOA - I can donate while I clip off and then get my backup reg. The idea of donating $10,000 to a deep wall along with my primary isn't really what I call a good dive.

With sharks - I'd rather use my camera to fend off their curious attacks than use my hand.

I guess I am in the minority, but I do use a snap coil similar to the item pictured in your link, but I use the one with the metal snap bolt.

I don't find it gets in the way. I attach it to the ULCS mounting brackets for the handles on my Subal housing

Thanks for the input so far.

One dive I was thinking about in paticular was the Spiegel Grove last summer. The current at the surface was strong, and we basically entered the water (giant stride) and were almost immediately on the buoy. Once at the marker the trick was to grab the line, and then start to go hand over hand down the rope. We were like flags on a windy day for 40~60 feet. The only time I did not have two hands on the rope was when I needed to equalize or use the inflator. Once at depth, the current had slowed down and was mild.

I was thinking about one one would accomplish this with a large housing and strobe combo. I'm not sure I could without having a way to clip off the housing, and dropping it would be a very bad thing at that site. I'm not even sure I could enter the water with camera in hand doing a giant stride, hit the marker, grab the line, and then clip it off closer to the body giving having to deal with the current and hanging onto the buoy or line.

Anyone do this? Maybe in those conditions one just goes without a camera, or with a smaller camera?

Perhaps - and don't flame me for this, guys - you can rig a line.

Drop the system overboard on the line so that the system is there on the decent line when you grab it. You get yourself sorted, then clip the rig to you and then hand over hand. Sounds sucky to me, but might work.

Or can you rig it to meet you at the bottom where the current is milder? Obviously there are risks associatec with these methods :wink:

INSURANCE is your friend!

alcina:
Perhaps - and don't flame me for this, guys - you can rig a line.

Drop the system overboard on the line so that the system is there on the decent line when you grab it. You get yourself sorted, then clip the rig to you and then hand over hand. Sounds sucky to me, but might work.

Or can you rig it to meet you at the bottom where the current is milder? Obviously there are risks associatec with these methods :wink:

INSURANCE is your friend!

Interesting ideas. I think I'd leave the camera behind vs. attempting to somehow tie it off before getting in the water. But somehow tying it off is definately something one could consider if the shots where that important.

Another variation on this I suppose would be to attach a line to it, and have the captain or DM to lower it to a diver on the buoy that was maybe 8 feet from the boat. Not sure I'd try that either.

I guess drifting to the wreck is also an option, but that would a good way to miss the site altogether which is exaclty what happened to a buddy of mine when diving off Playa over a wreck when some of the other divers had difficulty decending with the group.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom