Attaching hard weights to shoulders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm placing this here rather than in SM as I wanted more visibility.

I had a 3 hour pool session today with my SM instructor, to work on some stuff and tweak gear before SM class the last weekend of April.

I have the Hollis SMS75 with the weight plate. I need 8 lbs on my shoulders, higher up than the weight plate. Instructor strongly recommended I weave a 4 lb hard weight onto harness webbing on each shoulder. I do not want the weights "permanently" attached to my BC. I want to be able to easily take them off so I can more easily rinse it and such. I do similar with my BP/W with stainless steel BP and weighted STA (12 ls together) - I detach wing from BP after each diving day. I really do not want to have to unthread weights from BC after diving.

How could I attach weights to harness and be able to remove them after a day's diving?

Thanks! :)

.....or you can double your webbing over and push it through the weight slot from behind and simply push a 2 inch military webbing clip through the loop at the front of the weight.

There is nothing to stop you from doing the same to the other slot to give more stability to the weight

How could I attach weights to harness and be able to remove them after a day's diving?
Options that come to mind.

1. As Johnny C mentioned, you can use bungee cord, in a variety of ways. And, there are even some commercial products that use bungees for quick attachment and release (Quick Weights | MAKO Spearguns). Now, these weight are only 1.6 pounds each, so you would need 2 per side (and still would have only 3.2 lbs per side), and they are not inexpensive. But, they are a commercial option.

2. I have found that attaching the weights to the shoulder strap with cable ties (aka tie wraps / zip ties) is also a very approach. I prefer 2 cable ties per side with a 4 lb weight, 'just in case'.

3. Another option, which also happens to be a Mako product, would be an 'I' weight (2 Pound I Weight). These are only available in 2 lb sizes. And, they work best when the shoulder strap is somewhat pliable. But, I find them to be relative easy to put on and take off. (I wish Mako sold them in 3 and 4 lb sizes, but I get the impression that the primary market is for 2 lb units).

4. Trim weight products are an option (e.g. the XS Scuba product that was referenced in a previous post). I personally use Halcyon pockets (Halcyon Trim Weights - Halcyon Dive Systems) for a variety of placements (cylinder bands, waist / shoulder straps, etc.). A nice feature of using trim pockets is that, while the pocket may be a more 'permanent' placement (more work to get on / off), there is considerable immediate flexibility in how much weight you can put on a side.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, how much of that shoulder weight is for actual weighting and how much is purely for trim?

Maybe half and half? Even in a 3mm with 2 steel tanks (HP80), I need at least 4lbs just to get under the water (SM has all been done in a pool so far). I'll be switching to my 5mm or 7mm beginning next month the quarry. Gear is still being tweaked and that will help with trim.

I'm naturally very floaty. With a single HP80 and my 5mm, I require 20 lbs. Single tank BM, 12 lbs of that is in my SS BP and weighted STA.

Go with the weight pockets. 1) If not needed then they fold and hold flat. 2) you have the ability to change our weights at anytime. I dive so many different configurations such as SM, RB, BM doubles, singles, fresh / salt, wet / dry. 3) the soft weights with the pouch are more comfortable to me. 4) your travel kit is lighter by leaving the weights at home and using the LDS’s weights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom