Attack of the KILLER ling??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeanQ:
This is a lingcod. They're not exactly the prettiest fish in the sea.
They look better on their eggs or, battered, cooking in hot oil.
I've been chased by a few, but never bitten. But a guy I know claims they can bite through a hose.

Right on! Thanks for all the great stories! I have never had a problem with lingcod yet, but I never dove around them while they have eggs. There is one time, on the back of the Grant Hall in Porteau, we did find a VERY large lingcod. It sat there nicely for us to get a good look and do some comparison by spreading our arms out to get a rough length. I would say it was almost 5ft long. In one of my many fish books, it lists them with a maximum size of 5ft. Anyways, imagine one that big taking a bite out of you :>

Nalidixic

This is moderately off topic, but a couple of summers ago, while fishing in Alaska, I caught what turned out to be a little kelp greenling. While I was in the process of reeling the little guy up to let him go, something gigantic hit my line. I spent the next 15 minutes or so wrestling with it and, when it finally got to the surface, it turned out to be a 40+ lb. ling cod. The cod had gulped down the greenling. The weird part was, after we gaffed him and brought him on board, he opened his mouth and spit out the greenling. No hooks in him - he could have gotten away at any time by opening his mouth - he was just far too tenacious to let his supper go that easily.

Since then, I give them plenty of space underwater.

D_O_H:
This is moderately off topic, but a couple of summers ago, while fishing in Alaska, I caught what turned out to be a little kelp greenling. While I was in the process of reeling the little guy up to let him go, something gigantic hit my line. I spent the next 15 minutes or so wrestling with it and, when it finally got to the surface, it turned out to be a 40+ lb. ling cod. The cod had gulped down the greenling. The weird part was, after we gaffed him and brought him on board, he opened his mouth and spit out the greenling. No hooks in him - he could have gotten away at any time by opening his mouth - he was just far too tenacious to let his supper go that easily.

Since then, I give them plenty of space underwater.

Haha, thats an awesome story. Are you sure its not a tall fishing tale? :p J/K

Nalidixic

SeanQ:
This is a lingcod. They're not exactly the prettiest fish in the sea.

lingcod-fishing.jpg

(FYI: That isn't me.)

Yeah but they are the tastiest :wink:
If one bites you bite back. You won't be sorry.
Actually you can't bite back until the season opens again.
Nalidixic:
Haha, thats an awesome story. Are you sure its not a tall fishing tale? :p J/K

Not a "fish story" I've seen it happen myself.

It's not the Lingcod you need to worry about its the Cabezon. They will go after you and bite/bump you hard. They are far more protective than Lingcod.

have had more trouble with big Cabs then lings. they also seem to bump us freedivers a littler more then scuba, or so I've found. it sure wakes you up in a hurry when you get bumped by surprise.

are there any small, easily intimidated fish in your neck of the woods (sort of
speak)?

that's the kind of fish i like

H2Andy:
are there any small, easily intimidated fish in your neck of the woods (sort of
speak)?

that's the kind of fish i like

hahhaa, yeah, plenty. They don't all want to eat you. speaking of being eaten, ever have an octopus try to grab ya? Or a sealion come munch on your head? It's great up here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom