Attack of the KILLER ling??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver I've seen one that had to be bigger than 5 feet long on Renate's Reef (Barkley Sound) ... darn thing had a mouth wider than my shoulders.

Needless to say, we gave it a respectful distance.
We had one in the Clio channell same idea as one post it went after the smaller fishy on the hook it turned out to be 110lbs its head was twice that of a person almost. For real. Chinook cove lodge has pics of it. The funny thing is it was not so small of a fishy on the hook. Cheers

wolf eel:
We had one in the Clio channell same idea as one post it went after the smaller fishy on the hook it turned out to be 110lbs its head was twice that of a person almost. For real. Chinook cove lodge has pics of it. The funny thing is it was not so small of a fishy on the hook. Cheers

Can that be right? We caught one a few years ago that weighed in at almost 70 lbs. and the guys at our fishing lodge went nuts, saying it was close to breaking the AK state record. Do they really grow them that much bigger in BC?

Incidentally, I'm not a huge fan of fishing for these guys, since a fish that big is really really old and won't be replaced for quite some time. Salmon is where it's at.

Was out at Porteau last weekend. Ling Cod eggs were out, tons of them. Swimming over the top of the granthall, and saw a ling 2' from me, just eying me down, kinda lurching at me. I know if I got closer he would have struck. Instead, one big frog kick and I was outta there. That's the most agressive I've seen them yet. A few others were buzzing us, but none looked like they were ready to chew on me.

D_O_H Can that be right? We caught one a few years ago that weighed in at almost 70 lbs. and the guys at our fishing lodge went nuts, saying it was close to breaking the AK state record. Do they really grow them that much bigger in BC?
All I can say is if in doubt phone Chinook Cove lodge Wayne Bazin is an excellent operator and he can tell all. I was com diving for him when the boat came back I only saw the head and body and it was huge. Where kinda like Texas everything here is bigger.

Incidentally, I'm not a huge fan of fishing for these guys, since a fish that big is really really old and won't be replaced for quite some time. Salmon is where it's at.
They where salmon fishing. I don't agree with any spear fishing.
Cheers

Nalidixic:
Hey everyone. This weekend I'm going to be going out to Porteau Cove with a few friends to count ling eggs. So, as we all know, lings are in full reproduction swing right now. That means they will be guarding thier eggs. How aggresive do they get? Got any good stories? I hear they can bite through dry gloves :p. I guess I better be careful with those. Thought this might be kinda cool to talk about. Let me know what you guys got!
In January, my buddy and I were diving The Cut at around 85 fsw. We encountered a ling cod guarding an egg mass. It (she?) was approximately 18 inches inches in length. The egg mass was white and spongy and about the size of a football. She positioned herself between us and the eggs while we focused a couple of lights and my buddy took some photos. She wasn't aggressive, but then again, we made no attempt to contact her or the eggs. Probably like most other marine life, if you keep a reasonable distance away, there should be little concern about aggression.

Males sit the nest (good daddies) and are much smaller than females (so you are dealing with the smaller but more aggressive sex). Back in my spear fishing days we regularly took 40-50lb ling (with teeth about 2.5-3cm long), once out of Port Hardy we were on the 3rd dive looking for dinner and saw a ling that was more than 5 foot we decided to let her be as we didn’t want to get bitten. She was so docile we laid a 4.5 ft spear gun beside her and she was a good 2+ feet longer than the spear gun.

H2Andy:
ok, what the heck is a ling and how big do they get?

Big enough to startle the bejezus out of you when they get all territorial and snappish.

They're not dangerous but they're given to delusions of grandeur at certain times of the year.... :)

R..

nwdiver2:
Males sit the nest (good daddies) and are much smaller than females (so you are dealing with the smaller but more aggressive sex). Back in my spear fishing days we regularly took 40-50lb ling (with teeth about 2.5-3cm long), once out of Port Hardy we were on the 3rd dive looking for dinner and saw a ling that was more than 5 foot we decided to let her be as we didn’t want to get bitten. She was so docile we laid a 4.5 ft spear gun beside her and she was a good 2+ feet longer than the spear gun.
Thanks for the clarification about the male sitting the nest. I saw the same nest again last weekend and the egg mass is quite a bit larger than I initially remembered. The fish was a bit more agitated, but he didn't come after us. We kept our distance again. By the sounds of the other posts, I'm glad the fish wasn't bigger!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom