Attention manufacturers: This is what a dive computer should be like in 2009!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You mean this.

Algorithm

Algorithm Uemis ZH-L8+

Workload sensibility Real time through air consumption

Cooling sensibility Real time through cooling model

Micro bubble sensibility Real time through micro bubbles model

Number of compartments 8

Range of half-times 5 .. 640 minutes

Security range 0 .. 100%

Deep Stops none, 1 or 2 minutes

Gas Air or Nitrox (21 .. 100% O2)

More specs here.Specifications / uemis ZURICH / Products - uemis - THE UNDERWATER REVOLUTION

Wow. You're fast!

Wow. You're fast!

Been working this board for some time.:rofl3:

Nah... Just still had the site online.:D

What would be the pros/cons of the ZH-L8+ for recreational diving as compared to say the algorithms used in Suunto computers ?

It doesn’t say much... But I did find in the web page the following info:
Algorithm Uemis ZH-L8+
Number of compartments 8
Range of half-times 5 .. 640 minutes
Deep Stops none, 1 or 2 minutes

It does look nice, but I'm not really impressed with a ZHL-8 algorithm though

It does not seem to do trimix. Helluva lot of money for a comp that does not do that.

It is, but we need manufacturers to start utilizing tech that's out there to produce something that isn't a gameboy any more! Considering its the first of its kind, its not surprising the price is high - but if more companies start producing quality products like this than competition would drive prices down!

It is, but we need manufacturers to start utilizing tech that's out there to produce something that isn't a gameboy any more! Considering its the first of its kind, its not surprising the price is high - but if more companies start producing quality products like this than competition would drive prices down!

What do you see in this computer that it's better than

- VR3: VR3 and VR2 Dive computer from Delta P Technology
- VRX: VRx Home
- LiquidVision X1: Liquivision X1
- OSTC - HeinrichsWeikamp GbR
?
These dive computers are targeting the Tech community indeed, but they are in the same price range as the Uemis and with WAY more functions, gases... some even allow you to change decompression algorithms and are color too.

I think I'll stick w/ my X1 :)

If they made this thing like some other swiss products like watches and the good old swiss army knife, it should be very reliable.

What would be the pros/cons of the ZH-L8+ for recreational diving as compared to say the algorithms used in Suunto computers ?

Well, one could argue that ZH-L8+ is not a state-of-the-art model... it's an 8-compartment modified Bühlmann model to account for some other factors like temperature, deep stops... etc. Not newer as bubble based models like VPM or RGBM (as newer Suuntos) for instance.
As a matter of fact, ZH-L8 (ADT, +, etc.) types of algorithms were developed because the calculations for an 8-compartment model are easier than for a 16-compartment (like ZH-L16c) in the limited processing power of the early models of portable dive computers. So, I would be much more impressed with a real Bühlmann model as ZH-L16c or a bubble models as VPM or RGBM... not a ZH-L8, specially knowing that it was originally designed for dive computers with low processing power. Not saying it gives you wrong results; just saying it's not quite impressive. :D

Last edited:
What do you see in this computer that it's better than

- VR3: VR3 and VR2 Dive computer from Delta P Technology
- VRX: VRx Home
- LiquidVision X1: Liquivision X1
- OSTC - HeinrichsWeikamp GbR
?
These dive computers are targeting the Tech community indeed, but they are in the same price range as the Uemis and with WAY more functions, gases... some even allow you to change decompression algorithms and are color too.

I understand and don't disagree - but they are a niche market. I want the general scuba market to have computers like this. The larger manufacturers (ie, Suunto, Oceanic, Uwatec, etc) need to start stepping up to the plate!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom