Attention manufacturers: This is what a dive computer should be like in 2009!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks !

Well, one could argue that ZH-L8+ is not a state-of-the-art model... it's an 8-compartment modified Bühlmann model to account for some other factors like temperature, deep stops... etc. But not a real bubble based model as VPM or RGBM for instance.
As a matter of fact, ZH-L8 (ADT, +, etc.) types of algorithms were developed because the calculations for an 8-compartment model are easier than for a 16-compartment (like ZH-L16c) in the limited processing power of the early models of portable dive computers. So, I would be much impressed with a real Bühlmann model as ZH-L16c or a bubble models as VPM or RGBM... not a ZH-L8, specially knowing that it was originally designed for dive computers with low processing power. Not saying it gives you wrong results; just saying it's not quite impressive. :D

I understand and don't disagree - but they are a niche market. I want the general scuba market to have computers like this. The larger manufacturers (ie, Suunto, Oceanic, Uwatec, etc) need to start stepping up to the plate!

You have a good point, I used to have a D9 and I thought it was so cool, until I found out about the VR3 HD....... :depressed:

I understand the OPs original idea... not so much that this is the "one", but rather this is the right direction.

That said, I've looked at the computers mentioned below and for me, right now, they have too many features that I will probably never need for recreational diving.
Really, what I want is something "pretty", something "cool", but more importantly something I can SEE and READ very easily .. in the light, in the dark, whatever.. and also something that has an intuitive interface. These two features (read easily and intuitive interface) are completely missing in my current computer, a Suunto Vytec.
I would spend the money on this Uemis if I could only read some decent real-user reviews of it.

What do you see in this computer that it's better than

- VR3: VR3 and VR2 Dive computer from Delta P Technology
- VRX: VRx Home
- LiquidVision X1: Liquivision X1
- OSTC - HeinrichsWeikamp GbR
?
These dive computers are targeting the Tech community indeed, but they are in the same price range as the Uemis and with WAY more functions, gases... some even allow you to change decompression algorithms and are color too.

Well, the display is world class... I so want one.. even if the deco calculations are not that great..

Do these computers have air integration ?

What do you see in this computer that it's better than

- VR3: VR3 and VR2 Dive computer from Delta P Technology
- VRX: VRx Home
- LiquidVision X1: Liquivision X1
- OSTC - HeinrichsWeikamp GbR
?
These dive computers are targeting the Tech community indeed, but they are in the same price range as the Uemis and with WAY more functions, gases... some even allow you to change decompression algorithms and are color too.

yes they have and their site states that trimix is on their plans (a payed for software upgrade), the reason I don´t have one yet is that it hasn´t gauge mode (liability reasons uemis people told me but they are considering changing that)

I don't believe the Liquivision has an air integration system yet. My husband is waiting for one.

What I really love about the X1 is that the display prioritizes the information I do; even when running the VPM software, decompression information is in smaller numbers and off to the side, and depth and time are much larger and more obvious. The display on this computer looks crowded and more difficult to read at a glance to me, but of course, I haven't seen one IRL.

As for use with a Mac.. here is the reps response to that question:

" As the uemis ZURICH has a web server, we synchronise the SDA with a user web space (called myUemis) that is included in the package. Communication works via a PC (Windows, Mac, Linux) that must have USB, Internet access and one of the main browsers (IE, Firefox, Safari are well tested). Nothing will be installed on the PC. The SDA is recognized as memory stick and there you can start a HTML file that launches a Java Applet on your PC which is used to register the unit, to install firmware updates, to synchronize with myUemis and to restore the unit. We have a synch manual in the download area. It is in german, but a translation into English should be ready soon. Later on, we are planning to include import/export extensions that can be used to transfer data from and to other PC based logbook software."

Hi all

I'm the CTO of Uemis AG, the manufacturer of the uemis ZURICH. We are a new manufacturer for dive computers, but our staff has experience with dive computers for up to 22 years. We are selling the unit since may 2009, up to now we have some dealers in Europe. In other areas we are building up our partners. We have an e-shop for those divers that have no dealer nerby.

I'm pleased to answer questions about our SDA. But first, please look at our internet site and the FAQ's there. Sorry, if the translation to english is not always perfect!

Back
Top Bottom