Attention MK-15 aficionados

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I'm understanding your method, could a blow gun be used istead?

What @rsingler said. Yes, usually an air gun with a nozzle is used; however, if you have one that is just wasting your air with no results, drastic measures are called for.

It is common that a quick deep breath or sharp purge can cause an IP drop of 25-30 psi.

What @rsingler said. Yes, usually an air gun with a nozzle is used; however, if you have one that is just wasting your air with no results, drastic measures are called for.

It is common that a quick deep breath or sharp purge can cause an IP drop of 25-30 psi.

It seems to call for making a hole in a dust cap--that's one thing I never seem to have any extras of.

It sounds like I can now get to the fine tuning of the second stage. If I turn the screw so the lever drops a little then it breathes hard. Is it better to turn it inward (clockwise) to just past where the lever reaches it's full height, or just before it does (G200B)? I have a new poppet and LP seat.

This seems to be infectious. I find that I am bidding on two ScubaPro regulators that I don't need on eBay, one with a R109 and a Mark ? and the other with a G250 Graphite and a Mark ?. I guess as long as they are not Mark 15s then it's OK.

If you don't want to poke a hole in your dust cap, you can sandwich a garden hose washer in between the tank valve face and the back of the HP seat carrier.
Or a second 2-111 or 2-112 tank oring.
Anything that'll make a seal between those two while the yoke holds the carrier.
Add 2000 psi thru that seat carrier pinhole, and out that seat will fly!

DIY is certainly fun, isn't it?

How will the garden hose washer affect the aiming capabilities of the system? :)

turn the screw so the lever drops a little then it breathes hard. Is it better to turn it inward (clockwise) to just past where the lever reaches it's full height, or just before it does (G200B)?
See this thread: Scubapro Second Stage Lever Height

If you promise not to tell, I'll let you in on a secret procedure that will work at least 80% of the time with SP barrel poppet designs. The following assumes you have a good lever and orifice.
1. With the poppet removed, run the orifice in all the way.
2. Back the orifice out EXACTLY two turns.
3. Install the lever/poppet/spring/balance chamber assembly.
4. If applicable, install the adjustment knob and stop pin-back the knob out to the pin.
5. While holding down on the purge button, screw the orifice in (clockwise) EXACTLY 3/4 of a turn.

This should put the orifice so close to the correct position very little, if any, further adjustment will be required. It always works, except when it doesn't. :)

Try it and report back.

See this thread: Scubapro Second Stage Lever Height

If you promise not to tell, I'll let you in on a secret procedure that will work at least 80% of the time with SP barrel poppet designs. The following assumes you have a good lever and orifice.
1. With the poppet removed, run the orifice in all the way.
2. Back the orifice out EXACTLY two turns.
3. Install the lever/poppet/spring/balance chamber assembly.
4. If applicable, install the adjustment knob and stop pin-back the knob out to the pin.
5. While holding down on the purge button, screw the orifice in (clockwise) EXACTLY 3/4 of a turn.

This should put the orifice so close to the correct position very little, if any, further adjustment will be required. It always works, except when it doesn't. :)

Try it and report back.

My lips are Aqua-Sealed :wink:

This seems to be infectious. I find that I am bidding on two ScubaPro regulators that I don't need on eBay, one with a R109 and a Mark ? and the other with a G250 Graphite and a Mark ?. I guess as long as they are not Mark 15s then it's OK.

Shameless plug!

If you want to play "the auction" lottery, that is fine. However, you should be aware there are a few guys right here on Scuba Board who have the hobby habit of rebuilding the above gems and a few of us are more than happy to part with some of our collections. To name a few, @rsingler @halocline @buddhasummer @DA Aquamaster and me....I'm sure there are others. Personally, (I would bet the others too) I have MK10s, 109s, BA, G250ies etc. in various stages of rebuild. So if you need something ready to dive OR something to DIY we have you covered. PM any one of us and let us know what you're interested in.

Lol! Yah, have several Mk10's sitting around, several 109/156/Balanced Adj either for you to service, or for me to service and send on for your diving enjoyment. But @couv has dibs. He probably has prettier stuff, too. :wink:

That all sounds great and when i finally become converted to ScubaPro I'll let you know :) This G200B and MK15 is my first ScubaPro regulator. Actually, I was bidding on a particular item (I think this one a dive computer and console that I wanted) and the regulator came with it. I can't stand to have something just sitting there that with a little effort and a few new O-rings could be perfectly functional. The two ScubaPros that I'm bidding on on eBay just happen to come with an octopus, or vice versa. I have an old Dacor 360 that I'm donating to the Cozumel Coral Reef Restoration Project (CCRRP for short) that has no octopus. The cheapest available seems to be a Chinese second stage for around $16. My experience with Chinese rubber products has not been favorable, so just about any second stage with an LP hose would probably be better. I have to admit that the fact that the octopuses I'm looking at just happen to come such things as a R109 and a G250 along with whichever Mark something first stages definitely influences my choices and might increase the maximum I'm willing to bid. Some of you may remember when I was looking for some discontinued Sherwood Belleville Washers for a Magnum that looked like it had been in the ocean for several months with the ports open. It came with two dive computers that I suspected just had dead batteries. They did. It is now my air tool first stage and I'm going to try out the second stage on my next dive trip. It has the adjustment knob like the G250 but is not very easy breathing. OTOH, I was very impressed the first time I tried the G200B and and it may become my main regulator, replacing my old, trustworthy Sherwood Magnum. I'm used to a smaller IP swing of about 10-15 psi when breathing from my Magnums so I thought my Mark 15 was not quite ready yet.

Many thanks for all the info and insight and the offers for the regs. :) I will definitely keep them in mind. I'm expecting to be needing a second ScubaPro reg soon, assuming that the one I have lives up to my expectations. My girlfriend has a habit of trying out my gear and not giving it back. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom