Attention please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
When I'm gliding around and find something that I want to share with my fellow divers I find it hard to catch their attention. How do you do it?

I don't try any longer. I do make sure I get video or picture so I can show them later. If they dive often enough with me and are not able to find things, they usually will follow. Then I can signal them. Most divers can find things on their own. I will also tell others using a slate (if I have it with me) or try using hand signals. But getting someone elses attention right when you find something is futile (it also can allow you to miss some great shots if you are recording it).

As I assist the Dive guide you would think the guests would stick around - but they don't and that's ok. They are the ones that are disappointed when I tell them top side about the cool frogfish, the 4 eels fighting over 1 hole or the shark with the big hook in it's mouth. "Wow, I wish I'd've seen that"....I do take the pictures...but if they also saw it....that would make it so much more.

WOW, what if you were trying to get your buddies attention because you had a problem?

You really need to be aware of each other all the time. Then a simple wave of a hand will let them know that you're going to say something. Otherwise you're pretty much solo diving.

If you carry a good light all you need to do is wave your light beam accross theirs...slow for non-urgent and fast for urgent.

justleesa:
When I'm gliding around and find something that I want to share with my fellow divers I find it hard to catch their attention. How do you do it?
Actually my favorite is trying to get the attention of the DM when there is one. I too pretty much gave up on this after a while. I can't tell you how often a DM has said "Tell me when you reach XXXX pounds." but when you get there he doesn't look your way for the next 10 minutes. Doesn't really bother me because it's not the DM's job to monitor my air.

I had a laugh with a new DM in Coz last month. It was late in the dive and there was the DM, myself, and one other diver left drifting along in about 25-30' of water. He hadn't looked my way in a bit so when I reached the quoted ascend pressure I just moved up above them and floated along for a nice long safety stop. About a minute later he decided to check on me. It's always hilarious to watch someone 10 feet away from you look everywhere but the direction they need to. When he finally thought to look up, I gave him a wave, a low on air and an ok.

I have no desire to cary or hear noise makers underwater. I also think it's rude to disturb another diver by grabbing a fin or what not unless it is an emergency. The only person who's attention I want to be able to get quickly is my buddy's if I have one. With a good budy it will never be hard to get their attention, with a bad one, as Mike said, it's a solo dive. Everyone else are just people in the same ocean.

As far as pointing out cool life, I usually give the appropriate signal so that anyone who is looking will see it. If they hear topside that they missed somthing you saw then maybe on the next dive they will throw you a glace more often.

MikeFerrara:
WOW, what if you were trying to get your buddies attention because you had a problem?

You really need to be aware of each other all the time. Then a simple wave of a hand will let them know that you're going to say something. Otherwise you're pretty much solo diving.

If you carry a good light all you need to do is wave your light beam accross theirs...slow for non-urgent and fast for urgent.

You are right again Mike. I don't have to work hard to get my buddies attention. They are rigth there with me - that what helps them to qualify as a buddy - right?

My kids have a 10-15 second rule.

Ever 10-15 seconds they have to look at their buddy. Just a glance not a stare...

I don't thinks it's quite fair to insinuate she has poor buddy habits based on her comment. For all you people know, she may be in constant contact with her buddy but stumbled across a cool little fish and would like to share the find with another set of divers that she has made friends with on the dive boat. Ease up a bit folks...not every post on the board has to chastise other posters for not being a good enough diver. Anyhows...

I usually just give a couple of taps against my tank with my dive knife or a brass clip or something. The sound of metal on metal carries pretty well through the water.

justleesa:

Even though I don't like them, a tank banger will grab attention. You can buy em or make em. A chunk of surgical tubing and something solid to snap against the tank is all that's needed. Or in a pinch just carry something that you can tap your tank with.

As I said, I really don't like to make noise. Every time I hear a tank bang, I think someone's in trouble. :11:

hodgson:
Even though I don't like them, a tank banger will grab attention. You can buy em or make em. A chunk of surgical tubing and something solid to snap against the tank is all that's needed. Or in a pinch just carry something that you can tap your tank with.

a dive knife works nicely for this

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom