AUG 04 Dive Reports, Please post if you dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Date: 13 Aug 04
Dive Location: Malaga Cove, Palos Verde, CA
Time: 5:43 p.m.
Bottom Time: 53:00 min
Max Depth: 26 FSW
Vis: 10 - 15 feet, maybe a little more. Seemed a little cloudy.
Wave height: 1 foot or less
Temp at depth: 68 Suunto degrees
Surface Temp: 70 Suunto degrees
Tide information: Low 2:20pm. 2.6 ft High 8:28 p.m. 6.0 feet
Comments:
Met with Scott and Roland. We swam out from RAT beach and dropped down opposite the swimming pool. Saw the usual suspects here, but did not see any horn sharks today. A great dive with good company. Visibility was a little murky with visibility at 10 feet or better. Bit of surge with the surface chop passing overhead in the very shallow waters of the cove.

Date: 14 Aug 04
Dive Location: Picnic Beach, Laguna
Time: 10:30am or so
Bottom Time: 31 min
Max Depth: 51 FSW
Vis: 20+
Wave height: thigh-high (and I'm short)
Temp at depth: 55 (brr)
Surface Temp: 63 - thermocline at about 10 feet
Comments:
Sole Searchers dive club annual dive/picnic at Laguna. I'm generally a real wimp about surf entries, but this one was easy even by MY standards. Saw schools of baitfish in the shallows, and a few yellowtails lurking around. There were a bunch of leopard sharks (about a foot long) hiding out at the edge of the sea grass. Swam waaaaay out and dropped down by some marker buoys labled "kelp research." Found a sheep crab in an old lobster trap; one of our fellow divers pulled it out (not sure whether he wanted to help it, or just wanted to play with it). Spotted a nudibranch we hadn't seen before ("The Limbaughs' Cadlina). School of rubberlip seaperch. Nice dive overall!

A few pics here:

http://gallery.thelaitys.com/uw-20040814_laguna

Dive Location: Corral Beach, Malibu
Time: 12:30PM
Max Depth: 20 feet
Vis: 10 ft

I found a lot of sand, and a few strands of kelp. Saw a couple lobster, a spotted kelpfish behind a small rock, a couple fearless scorpionfish, and the usual suspects swimming around the kelp. Not bad, but I don't think I would do it again. Not easy finding the kelp.

Dive Location: Leo Carillo, Malibu
Time: 3:00PM
Max Depth: 30 feet
Vis: 10-12 ft

I entered between the 2nd and 3rd lifeguard stations (taking the stairs closer to the 3rd station), and swam out east to the kelp bed in front of the 2nd station.

It was my first time at Leo Carrillo, it was great! So many different species of tunicates, anemones, featherdusters, starfish, gorgonians, etc. Oh, and some fish too. Some very cool rock formations. A great dive. (Malaga cove had more fish though).

Scott

Date: 08/14/2004
Dive Location: Ruby-E, San Diego
Time: 8:27am
Bottom Time: 47:00
Max Depth: 82 ft.
Vis: nice vis on the wreck maybe 30-40.
Wave height: Mild swells
Temp at depth: 52 degrees
Surface Temp: 63 degrees
Tide information: Low at start
Comments: My 1st Panga Dive with the Dive Animals. Went with Terry, Drew, and John G. 1st We got all our gear together and jumped out of the boat into the water. We decended rapidly and picked up something that dropped next to the ship.The Ruby E was covered with Nudibranchs. Terry and I cruised the boat in seach of things to take photos of. We shot many pictures until our computers told us to return to the boat. We did a 1 minute stop at 40 feet then our usual 15 foot safely stop. After getting warm again topside, we headed out to the Point Loma Kelp beds to the 3 Fingers Reef.

Date: 08/14/2004
Dive Location: 3 Fingers Reef, Point Loma
Time: 10:41am
Bottom Time: 47:40
Max Depth: 69 ft.
Vis: Nice vis, perhaps 30-40 feet. Wave height: Mild swells
Temp at depth: 54 degrees
Surface Temp: 66 degrees
Tide information: Higher tide.
Comments: We dropped down into the kelp to level out hovering over the big rocks
below. We searched the rocks for life, finding an overwhelming amount covering each rock we inspected. Many different nudibranchs, rockfish, a lingcod, sheepheads, blacksmiths in the kelp. More stuff than I can identify. My 1st dive on this site. I hope to dive it again.

Sean

pictures:

http://www.scubapost.net/gallery/rubye3fingers

Great shots today Sean. Those who weren't there have no idea what a great couple of dives they missed.
You know who you are!!!

Anyway, here is my album for todays dives.

Three Fingers and Ruby Dive Photos

Thanks again Divebuddysean

Divinman

Date: 15 Aug 04
Dive Location: El Matador State Beach Malibu CA
Time: 9:01 a.m.
Bottom Time: 62:00
Max Depth: 34 FSW
Vis: 10-15 or so
Wave height: 1 foot or so.
Temp at depth: 59F Suunto degrees
Surface Temp: 64f Suunto degrees
Tide information: Low – 4:08 a.m. -0.4 feet High- 10:34 a.m. 4.2 feet
Comments:
This was a dive from the www.sandeaters.org schedule. 7 intrepid souls met up including Scottfiji, Chris, Andy, Craig, and Karen. We made the hike down the trail and two sets of stairs. For those who have not been here, it is a long walk. We paired up with Bill electing to go solo. We entered to the East of the big rock at the base of the stairs and swam out about 200 yards or so. Dropped down into the reef structure at 15 feet and kelp and swam West, south west until we got to cleaner and I might add deeper water. A bit of gently swaying surge just to keep it interesting of about 2 to 3 feet. An octopus was spotted on the side of a rock, just sitting out in the open trying to look like a bump on the rock. Doing a darn fine job of it too as he was in plain site and invisible, took a bit of staring to confirm it was an octopus, when he finally moved an arm. Two bat rays were also spotted along with the usual suspects. The kelp bass were covered with a white substance, so not sure what was going on there. All in all a great dive.

Date: 15 Aug 04
Dive Location: Malibu Road, Malibu CA
Time: 1:49 p.m.
Bottom Time: 53:10 min
Max Depth: 31 FSW
Vis: 10-15 or so
Temp at depth: 61F Suunto degrees
Surface Temp: 72f Suunto degrees
Tide information: Low – 3:27 p.m. 2.2 feet High- 10:34 a.m. 4.2 feet

Andy and Stottfiji and I went to lunch following the morning dive and made the decision to get two fills at Malibu Divers and head out for a second dive at Malibu Road (I had brought two tanks). After getting air, we headed off to a very nice dive with little surf. Dropped down into 15 feet and swam out to the East, South East into deeper water following the kelp as best we could. Lots of the usual suspects including a bat ray. We had a lot of fun exploring the nooks and crannies. Great day for diving.

Date: 16 Aug 04
Dive Location: Point Dume Pinnacles
Time: 10:00 a.m.
Bottom Time: 42 min
Max Depth: 49 FSW
Vis: 20-30
Temp at depth: 61F Suunto degrees

The current was running away from the pinnacles. After helping a couple of DPV students into the water, my buddies and I headed to the pinnacles. We discovered we weren't making good headway, so we exited, walked the beach, and re-entered at little Zuma. At least the return was easy, since the current didn't reverse. Vis was great, Plenty of fish to see, including a couple of large schools (snappers and bait fish). There were also a ton of Cabezons, one really huge sea bass, plenty of calicos and garibaldis, and lots of the yellow and brown nudibranchs. And I finally got to use my itchy trigger thumb to take some photos. Best of all, the parking lot was not closed off at all.

Back
Top Bottom