Aug 2017: Khao Lak + Phi Phi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IT-BG-WW

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys, nice to meet you! My name is Lorenzo, I just signed up, and I am already here for some advice :)
I planned a trip to Thailand for August 17, I know it is not the best time, but it is the only time I have for some long range trip from EU.
6 days in Khao Lak and then 8 days in Koh Phi Phi.
I am trying to contact a few diving center there to check the situation, considering the season.
We will see. Anyone could suggest some nice diving spot that, in a good weather day, could be a great dive in both locations? There are many guides online, but it is hard to figure out which dive site is open/accessible in August. I know that unfortunately the parks are closed, so even harder to understand the options.
Oh, I am an AOWD.
Thank you in advance for any answer.

P.S. additional info, we are a couple and my fiance is not a diver, so I can't plan long trips or too many consecutive dives.

No diving from Khao Lak that time of year, but some of the DC's there will offer you diving from Phuket (I can do the same for you if you like). You have to count on about 1,5 hours transfer one way, some waiting time and of course the boat ride. You could e.g. do a divetrip to Racha Noi and Racha Yai (would also be nice for your fiancee to join for snorkeling/swimming) or King Cruiser/Shark Point. Both those trips are 3-dive trips. You could also choose for Racha Yai only, 2 dives, but it would still be a long and full day, so especially with the distance traveled you might as well make it 3 dives IMO.

From Phi Phi are divesites available without land transfer, and the boat rides will be shorter as well. So you could consider to skip diving from Khao Lak, and concentrate diving from Phi Phi.

Hi Stevenl, thank you very much for your reply. You are right, to concentrate on Phi Phi would be the best option, but probably it would mean either few dives (to have some reasonable time together), or little time together. Luckily I have time to reschedule the first 6 days. Do you thing it is better to stay in Phuket? Or do I have some nice option around there? We are little interested in the city itself (nightlife and so on). Please note that my fiance unfortunately is not a strong swimmer, so I am afraid she would not be enthusiast with a diving cruise, so I had to give up also this option. A one day trip could be done, but I would rather prefer a more comfortable location for the first part of our stay. You know, it is our main holiday, and I really want to also enjoy daytime together. We will arrive in Phuket on the 13th, what could be the options, considering that the other stay in Phi Phi is a must? :) A very big thank you. P.S. Of course I would be happy to evaluate any proposal of yours!

Hi Stevenl, thank you very much for your reply. You are right, to concentrate on Phi Phi would be the best option, but probably it would mean either few dives (to have some reasonable time together), or little time together. Luckily I have time to reschedule the first 6 days. Do you thing it is better to stay in Phuket? Or do I have some nice option around there? We are little interested in the city itself (nightlife and so on). Please note that my fiance unfortunately is not a strong swimmer, so I am afraid she would not be enthusiast with a diving cruise, so I had to give up also this option. A one day trip could be done, but I would rather prefer a more comfortable location for the first part of our stay. You know, it is our main holiday, and I really want to also enjoy daytime together. We will arrive in Phuket on the 13th, what could be the options, considering that the other stay in Phi Phi is a must? :) A very big thank you. P.S. Of course I would be happy to evaluate any proposal of yours!
Yes, if you want to go diving, stay on Phuket and not Khao Lak. You mention 'nightlife and so on', with which Patong is associated, but other areas of Phuket are different. Have a look at Kata Beach, the closest place to the pier from where the boats depart, nice beach and a good choice of bars and restaurants but (IMO) far better than Patong.

The charge for a daytrip with 3 dives is 3,700 baht (transfers from most Phuket areas included), if you want to rent equipment the charge for a full set is in August 400 baht per day.

Hi, I am very sorry I must improve my English, we are NOT interested in nightlife :) I would honestly avoid Phuket at all, we would definitely prefer a more quiet environment with diving spots nearby. Are there places that could be a nice choice for the first 6 days, to both dive and relax? Any island other than Phi Phi? It would be great to find a place for the first 6 days, from which we could to move to Phi Phi without coming back to Phuket, and without taking a private transfer. We would save time (and money, I read private transfers are definitely expensive). About the dives, I suppose it matters that I have my own full equipment (but tank and weights) and DAN insurance. Thank you once more.

"Hi, I am very sorry I must improve my English, we are NOT interested in nightlife :) I would honestly avoid Phuket at all, we would definitely prefer a more quiet environment with diving spots nearby."
Yes, you will find many of those places on Phuket. It really seems you have a wrong idea about Phuket.

Hi, I don't have a bad idea of Phuket, just we live in a city all year long, and I would prefer a quieter location. You know, city = lot of people everywhere = always the same :D I would just like something different. I also though dive spots are a bit far away from Phuket, (>2h boat, 4h rt) but I get from your answer I am wrong about this. I will investigate Ao Nang and Koh Lanta as you suggested, but if you don't mind, if we instead choose Phuket as you suggest, I will be in touch. Thank you a lot for your precious support! If you have any further suggestion, please feel free to write me. I am absolutely open to learn and change my mind according to better information and better understanding of the area I am going to visit.

"Hi, I don't have a bad idea of Phuket, just we live in a city all year long, and I would prefer a quieter location. You know, city = lot of people everywhere = always the same"

Phuket is not a city (well, Phuket Town is), but you're confusing Patong with Phuket. Many quite places on Phuket.

Oh I got the misunderstanding now! You refer to the area of Phuket, I mostly refer to the town. So what's the place you would name first in Phuket area, according to what we shortly discussed? I have an option for Mai Khao Beach, but I don't see any diving spot around there, and it is also on the west coast.

Back
Top Bottom