Aug 2017: Khao Lak + Phi Phi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mai Khao is nice, but also quite far. Check Serenity in Rawai, or if you want to splurge The Nai Harn in Nai Harn. In Chalong you'll find Villa Zolitude and there are others I'm forgetting right now :) (like Photo Hotel and Nook Dee in Kata, Mom Tri's in Kata, the Boathouse, and yes, there are more.

Oh I got the misunderstanding now! You refer to the area of Phuket, I mostly refer to the town. So what's the place you would name first in Phuket area, according to what we shortly discussed? I have an option for Mai Khao Beach, but I don't see any diving spot around there, and it is also on the west coast.

Hi there,
"Phuket" is the name of an island. It is a very big island with many beaches and towns. Phuket Town is not at a beach. Patong is one of the most famous beaches for nightlife and partying. All other beaches are more quiet than Patong.

Have a look at Phuket Island one Google Maps to get an idea:
https://www.google.dk/maps/place/Ph...bd82f66b!8m2!3d7.8804479!4d98.3922504!6m1!1e1

StevenL knows Phuket very well. I think you would do well having him arrange your diving for you. I normally arrange my own diving without an agent, but when you are completely new to the area, I think you will be better off with an agent to help you.

Have a great vacation!
Mikkel

Hi there,
"Phuket" is the name of an island. It is a very big island with many beaches and towns. Phuket Town is not at a beach. Patong is one of the most famous beaches for nightlife and partying. All other beaches are more quiet than Patong.

Have a look at Phuket Island one Google Maps to get an idea:
https://www.google.dk/maps/place/Ph...bd82f66b!8m2!3d7.8804479!4d98.3922504!6m1!1e1

StevenL knows Phuket very well. I think you would do well having him arrange your diving for you. I normally arrange my own diving without an agent, but when you are completely new to the area, I think you will be better off with an agent to help you.

Have a great vacation!
Mikkel

Thank you! I googled a bit the area before booking the flight, but I though the island had another name than Phuket, and I was wondering what it was. I feel quite an idiot now... :D I agree SteveNL could help a lot, just don't know yet if I will give up diving the first 6 days, while mostly diving the other 7 in Phi Phi Island.

Thank you! I googled a bit the area before booking the flight, but I though the island had another name than Phuket, and I was wondering what it was. I feel quite an idiot now... :D I agree SteveNL could help a lot, just don't know yet if I will give up diving the first 6 days, while mostly diving the other 7 in Phi Phi Island.

You are welcome.
I am not sure exactly what kind of out-of-the-city experience you are looking for. Is it something like "in touch with nature simple living" or more like "tranquil luxury resort"?
I have never stayed overnight on Phi Phi myself. I have stayed on a liveaboard anchored in the bay though. I believe there are a couple of luxury resorts on Phi Phi on secluded beaches only reachable by boat. Those are probably tranquil and quiet. The most developed area in the center of Phi Phi explodes in loud beach parties and fire shows for backpackers in their twenties drinking from buckets every night. Quite entertaining but maybe not what you are looking for. The famous Maya bay featured in the movie the beach gets so may tourists every day that you can hardly see the sand. The scenery around Phi Phi is extremely beautiful but also very crowded.

The diving around Phi Phi is great. You can reach most of the same dive sites from Phuket, Ao Nang, or Koh Lanta, but Phi Phi is generally closer. Koh Lanta is closer to Hin Daeng, Hin Muang and Koh Haa, but those sites are closed at that time of year.

Google maps of Koh Phi Phi:
https://www.google.dk/maps/place/Ph...:0xbf9db8781a549f71!8m2!3d7.740738!4d98.77841

You are welcome.
I am not sure exactly what kind of out-of-the-city experience you are looking for. Is it something like "in touch with nature simple living" or more like "tranquil luxury resort"?
I have never stayed overnight on Phi Phi myself. I have stayed on a liveaboard anchored in the bay though. I believe there are a couple of luxury resorts on Phi Phi on secluded beaches only reachable by boat. Those are probably tranquil and quiet. The most developed area in the center of Phi Phi explodes in loud beach parties and fire shows for backpackers in their twenties drinking from buckets every night. Quite entertaining but maybe not what you are looking for. The famous Maya bay featured in the movie the beach gets so may tourists every day that you can hardly see the sand. The scenery around Phi Phi is extremely beautiful but also very crowded.

The diving around Phi Phi is great. You can reach most of the same dive sites from Phuket, Ao Nang, or Koh Lanta, but Phi Phi is generally closer. Koh Lanta is closer to Hin Daeng, Hin Muang and Koh Haa, but those sites are closed at that time of year.

Google maps of Koh Phi Phi:
https://www.google.dk/maps/place/Ph...:0xbf9db8781a549f71!8m2!3d7.740738!4d98.77841

We booked in Phi Phi Island Beach Resort,it should be in a nice position without too many people.I read about Phi Phi, it reminds me of the Gili Islands in Indonesia, beautiful place a bit messy. But I read that "our" side of the island should be quiet. I hope to be able to make a couple of dives per day, maybe 4 days.I tried to write to two diving centers, but no feedback. We will see, I will try again. I decided to keep my reservation in Khao Lak and just relax during the first week :) If you can suggest more diving spots in Phi Phi that should be open, maybe even good for photography, that would be great. Thank you again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom