August 2012 in Cozumel (Its a dry heat....)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right behind you with 10 more sleeps till our stay at Blue Angel.

Haha! Well, we take the red-eye out on the 18th but don't actually get to Cozumel until the 19th, so technically, I should count that as a "sleep" too. :blinking:

Looking forward to meeting you and your son.

We have a daughter who just graduated from HS and is heading off to Philadelphia in September.

She got OW certified when she was 10 y/o.

She dives with no weights - her SAC rate is like 0.25 so she never has a change in buoyancy from an empty tank.

.. well, OK, we do make her take 1 lb weight... just so she has something to ditch in an emergency. :D

9 more sleeps! YEAH, BABY!!
You leave in 10 days, arriving the next day. Going to skip one night?

Right behind you with 10 more sleeps till our stay at Blue Angel.
You leave in 11 days, so you're skipping one too? What are y'all going to do...??

We have a daughter who just graduated from HS and is heading off to Philadelphia in September.

She got OW certified when she was 10 y/o.

She dives with no weights - her SAC rate is like 0.25 so she never has a change in buoyancy from an empty tank.

.. well, OK, we do make her take 1 lb weight... just so she has something to ditch in an emergency. :D
Now, that is interesting. For positive buoyancy in an emergency, maybe it'd be good to wear something else?

You leave in 10 days, arriving the next day. Going to skip one night?

LOL - just wishful thinking? Sigh.. I guess I can last 10 more sleeps...:chuckle:

For positive buoyancy in an emergency, maybe it'd be good to wear something else?

Well, maybe I should expand on my earlier statement.

The last time she was diving she wore a 2mm shorty wetsuit and used a jacket BCD with a pony tank. She was able to float on the surface and easily descend by simply taking a full exhale without needing any weight. As I recall, she would need about 2 quick puffs in her BCD and she would be neutrally buoyant at depth (most of dives were at 30 to 40 ft). She was eager to learn UW photography so she quickly learned how to fine tune her buoyancy control using her lungs and never really touched her BCD during her dive. She did not have any trouble staying neutrally buoyant at the end of the dive since she would use so little of her air.

The dive op provided a DM instructor to buddy with her on all her dives and the DM had no concerns about what she was wearing other than we were told that she had to wear at least 1lb of weight on her weight belt.

It didn't make much difference to her buoyancy control and we assumed it was so they could adhere to the "ditching weight in an emergency" protocol.

Maybe you were thinking that she was so negatively buoyant that she sank as soon as she jumped in the water??? That was not the case. Or am I missing something?

Having said all that, she has grown a foot and gained 40 lbs since then so we'd have to get her all new gear now anyways. Yes, kids are soooo expensive... (don't get me started on the obscene cost of university tuition nowadays!!!)

Since I told you what she was wearing, DD... what are you wearing??? :blinking:

Now, that is interesting. For positive buoyancy in an emergency, maybe it'd be good to wear something else?

Say like..... a snorkel vest? :)

---------- Post Merged at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:02 AM ----------

Hey, cvchief,

Would like to join you on the 21st if you can stand two Marines at the same party!

Well absolutely! Was DD a Marine? That is an interesting concept. It is always good to have a few Marines along.

Since I told you what she was wearing, DD... what are you wearing???
Well, I like a gear set-up that will absolutely float a diver once weights are dropped even if a BC inflator or bladder fails. Between my major-lift BC and my personal adipose ratio, it takes me several pounds of lead to sink even with BC totally empty. :wink:

Say like..... a snorkel vest?
Only when not wearing a BC, like boating or swimming - unless you opt for a full PFD. Hated to read about that retired basketball star drowning because he thought he could out swim the ocean. I went thru that phase, thinking that salt water was too easy to float in to need a vest - but it was a short one like my motorcycle phase, and I survived.

Was DD a Marine? That is an interesting concept. It is always good to have a few Marines along.
You are on my FB and you didn't know that?
Marching.gif

You are on my FB and you didn't know that?
Marching.gif

Perhaps I don't have as much stalker in me? :cyborg: That, and I have yet to read the entire internet yet, but I will get to work on reading your entire profile and arranging for the black helicopter people to do a full check.:eek:npatrol: I will also see if I can arrange with Carlos to throw you out of the boat right before Palancar pier so you can storm the beach if you want? :biggun:

So what was it like serving under Chesty?:mil-usmc: :)

I will also see if I can arrange with Carlos to throw you out of the boat right before Palancar pier so you can storm the beach if you want? :biggun:

So what was it like serving under Chesty?:mil-usmc:
Could you get a video of this for the rest of unlucky(or luc ky) souls who will not be there ?? :)

The "please give me another chance" Meet and Greet at La Choza has been moved to Saturday evening, the 11th 6:30 - 8:00 PM. Hope to see a few SB's there.Sue and Mike. Aka Baby and Pelon

---------- Post Merged at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom