AUL vs. Halcyon lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gentlegiant

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been looking at getting a canister light and after looking at many websites I have narrowed it down to a few choices; Halcyon, Dive Rite and AUL. I have found a bunch of comments on Halcyon and Dive Rite, but almost nothing on AUL. In the actual comparisons I can find on the websites it appears that Halcyon and AUL are the closest to one another in features and toughness. Does anyone have experience with AUL lights? I am specifically looking at the small HID lights suitable for night or wreck diving.

gg,

i do not have any experience with the AUL HID lights. i have, however, recently purchased a halcyon helios 4.5 HID. i think i have about 10 dives on it or so on the new rig. i can truely say that i am 100% satisfied with this particular light. it is so small and manageable with huge light and a 4 hour plus burn time. sorry that i can not provide feedback on alternatives but i am very pleased with the light and as of right now would make the same choice. best of luck in your search...

mike

Also look at the Sartek lights. I bought one after having dove with a couple folks with them:

http://www.sarind.com/index.html

Roak

I've got a Stealth and love it.

Here's more fodder: I haven't seen one of these in person, but have heard good things about Terkel Lights

I have the spectrum 7 and Would highly recomend it. For the price it cant be beat.5.5 hrs burns time in a 10 watt hid for only$400 shipped to your door. Couple items to consider:AUL only makes a 10 watt version now(says he had problems getting the 18 watt bulb), They only make sla's(no NiMh), and the canister has 3 snaps (concerns me about snagging my wetsuit and wearing at it). I used mine for over 16 hours in the vortex cave and never had a single problem. It has a 13 degree bulb so it light up a broader area than the 6 degree bulb so it is more suited for photography or viewing fish life as you are less likely to blind them with the less concentrated beam. If you have any questions P.M. me and I will be more than happy to help you out.:D

GearHead once bubbled...
Here's more fodder: I haven't seen one of these in person, but have heard good things about Terkel Lights

and I am very impressed by the quality of the canister as well as the light head. It looks exactly as it does in the picture on the website and it seems to be very solid. I'm supposed to take it out this weekend, so I'll let you guy's know how it goes. By the way, Terkel is one great guy to do buisiness with.

GearHead once bubbled...
I checked out one of Terkel's prototypes in person a few weeks ago and based on that purchased one of his production models last week. I have not yet picked it up, I'm hoping to have it by the end of the week for my Day Island Wall dives. I will definitely be posting a review after I've had a chance to put it into action. I'll also second that Terkel is a great guy to do business with!

Jimmie

Back
Top Bottom