Aussie diving - June 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

burna

Contributor
Reaction score
Don't think I've ever started an 'Aussie diving" thread before, so I thought I'd take the opportunity.

Got a couple of dives in on Thursday down on the Bellarine peninsula. No pics this time as my camera housing has a minute leak I'm trying to sort out. We were originally going to dive Barwon Heads, an ocean facing site but there was too much swell so headed to our second site known locally as Cottage-by-the-sea.

It takes it's name from the children's home located there and has a fantastic reef system just off the beach. This site is very current prone and timing is critical due to its close proximity to the heads. It had previously been calculated that 12:30pm was to optimum time however it looked so good at 10am (and I knew that was roughly low tide) that we decided to give it a go.

Fantastic dive, no current, 15-18m vis, temp 14C, large crayfish, giant cuttlefish and the plant life looked really healthy. Got a nice 60min dive in (buddies in wetsuits).

We decided it was so good that we'd go again and I'd only used half my tank on the first dive, so thought I'd just use it up on the second. This was to be the time calculated that we should enter the water.

Wow! Different dive site! Very strong current, so much so that I sucked down that half a tank in 28 mins. My SAC rate had effectively doubled and so I told the others I was low on air and bailed. I wasn't enjoying it in the current. My drysuit is a bit 'draggy' and as much as I love my OMS Slipstream fins, they are no good in current. I was stuffed by the time I got out of the small surf that had developed.

This site has historically had a strange reversing current opposite to the direction of the tidal flow, must have something to do with the headlands either side, but we definitely didn't experience that. I think recent dredging of Port Phillip Bay has upset this reverse flow.

We were going to be diving an old WW2 training plane in the Bay this morning as well as an old sailing vessel, but alas the winds shifted and so wasn't favourable. Prob'ly just as well as I'm working this arvo until 11pm. :(

Hey Burna fellow diveozian how are you? I'll be in Vic after my warm water/ high viz Coral Sea trip in a couple of months but dont think I'll be tempted to dive those cold waters where you and Saspotato are :) Think the missus wants to go to MT Bulla instead. cheers g

Hey Gee,

Yeah it's a bit nipple-ly, definitely drysuit weather, although I wouldn't have thought we were all that much colder than Perth. :idk:

If you have a drysuit then you should bring your stuff over and come out for a few dives with us. Loads of great boat and shores dives.

Go on!! You know you wanna!!! :D

Dive gear is firmly packed away until i go on my liveaboard (Coral sea maybe) in August then rescue/DM in October!

too cold in sydney :(

i might consider a dive on the adelaide if it gets sunk in early July, so 6 odd weeks to settly will be late september anyway...

Hey Burna

Yes it can get coolish here, Id say about 16C now but I do most of my diving in warm tropics :wink: The shore dive sites here are not that good. TBH I'll be quite dived out after Coral Sea so will spend some time chilling on land in Vic. :cool2:

Come on bracko harden up! :shakehead:

The best diving in Sydney is in winter (apart from the last couple of weeks) - less divers and good vis. The water temp doesn't get much below 16-17C

Things are looking good for a dive this weekend ... finally!!! ... have not been in the water for 3 weeks

Hi

I have been diving up in Nelsons Bay last weekend and will again this weekend. Still a nice 19C in the water, vis is average with 7-8m but plenty of things to see. Pygmy leatherjackets, shovelnose rays, pineapple fish, sea horses, moray eels and octopus amongst other things. Its getting less divers as well with the colder weather which is great.

I'll be diving the wreck of the "TOMI" off Geraldton, Western Australia on Saturday. Dived last week with a 5mm and was OK. Lets hope the viz is good and the temp not to bad.

Heading up to Bundaberg tomorrow for a 3 day trip on MV Venus heading out to Lady Musgrave Island. Weather forecast looks good at the moment and its my first liveaboard - really looking forward to it.

No if someone can just organise a few manta rays for me as I've never seen 1 yet...........

Back
Top Bottom