Aussie diving - June 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Enjoyed the dives at Nelson's Bay so much yesterday I'm going back today!

IMG_2382.jpg

IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_2384.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2394.jpg

IMG_2408.jpg

Nice pics Sas, Joti & Unterberg!!

Havent done Swansea for quite a few years ... love both the drift and the bridge!

The "TOMI" is a wreck off Geraldton, WA, which was sunk to make an artificial reef in 2004. It is about 3 km off the coast and sits in 30m water. The wreck landed perfectly on it's keel an the deck is almost 100 % horizontal. Before the wreck was sunk it was prepped and holes cut in the sides to allow penetration. It's a fantastic wreck especially for training.

Here are some pictures from our dive last week. I was running a nitrox course, and the other guys were doing maintenance on the mooring and a survey of the wreck (for the wreck preservation committee).

If you want to dive it drop me a line at Geoff@ateamdivers.com

Attachments

• DSC02886.jpg
    DSC02886.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC02921.jpg
    DSC02921.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC02902.jpg
    DSC02902.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC02904.jpg
    DSC02904.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 39
Heading up to Bundaberg tomorrow for a 3 day trip on MV Venus heading out to Lady Musgrave Island. Weather forecast looks good at the moment and its my first liveaboard - really looking forward to it.

No if someone can just organise a few manta rays for me as I've never seen 1 yet...........

Hey BB1 - how was the trip? My wife and I are heading up to do the same in a couple of weeks (via the HMAS Brisbane).

How was the vis & water temp.....and did you get the mantas?

Hi, Trip was a great laugh!
Weather sucked a little and winds kept us inside the lagoon for the first 3 dives, lots n lots to see but all shallow dives which could be a challenge for buoyancy.
Had next 2 dives on Fairfax island which were great - saw the BIGGEST humphead maori wrasse on 1 of the dives but in the distance while halfway through our ascent :(
Next was an outside wall dive back at Musgrave - good with lots of small stuf hiding amongst the coral.
Back inside for a night dive and got to lie on the bottom about 3m from a really big ray. awesome night!
Last day got canned (sensibly) with all our agreement as the weather really turned to crap for the trip home.

The crew are a really good laugh and on top of everything:
Gaz the skipper has the boat sorted and looks after the tank fills between dives.
Stacey the DM gets everyone sorted with details of the site and keeps a look out while the divers are down - there is no dive guide so you need to be on your navigation! Take a good safety sausage (DSMB) with you!! 1 dive pair needed rescueing on day 1 with the tender, on day 2 1 girl got seperated from her buddy and used the DSMB but it was hard to spot at the distance she was from the boat (big is better!)
Saved the best to last, Gary the chef/deckie/larrikin/all round great laugh. How does this man do it?? Hot fresh baked scones, jam and cream as a between dives snack!!! AWESOME and his full roast beef dinner............ amongst many highlights. Remember to ask him about the Moray eels song on the bommies near the Venus' mooring.
Vis was ok 10m to 15m sometimes, not amazing but given the weather conditions, not bad at all. Water temperature was 24C and very comfortable in a Mares 5/4/3 suit. Chilly in the wind when on deck after but inside boat is nice and warm.

Others saw manta's but not me. I was happy with the really big fish I saw and lots of cool small stuff.

Really enjoyed the trip and sure you'll have a blast!!

I haven't dive the HMAS Brisbane yet, decided on a trip to Julian Rocks this weekend instead! :)

Gday people. Going for an afternoon and night dive off the east coast of Tassie on Saturday.
It's going to be cold. One day I'll either invest in a dry suit or move to the North Island

I'm curious, how cold you talking??

I'm heading for Byron Bay and Julian Rocks Saturday, hopefully warmer :)

I'm curious, how cold you talking??

I'm heading for Byron Bay and Julian Rocks Saturday, hopefully warmer :)

I thinking around 12 degrees, probably the same as the air temperature.
Not looking forward to getting back into my wettie for the night dive, god knows what the air temperature will be then.:(

Back
Top Bottom