Australia trip being booked.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
If you have ever wanted to dive the Great Barrier Reef, there is a trip for next summer being booked by Blue Dolphin Scuba in Frisco Texas. Shop owner Mike says the trip is limited to just 12 divers and a deposit needs to be in quickly.

More details are posted on his website, so click the link above.

--TexasMike

Texas Mike, have you checked prices with Trip-n-Tour? Since we've just returned, from a little over two weeks in Australia and a livaboard, lining up your own trip on the net can save you quite a bit, unless you want to go with a group.
Dive Safe,
Caymanaic:boom:

The announcement for this Australia trip was done as a favor (and support) for a favorite LDS.

While I don't doubt that you can find good prices for travel from internet sites, you miss out on the superior customer service before, DURING, and after the trip that a diver-to-dive shop relationship is going to provide.

Blue Dolphin Scuba sends one of its diving professionals along on each trip as the trip leader (and often head honcho Mike Tyzbir (the owner) goes). To me this can make one of the big differences since it is the trip leaders responsibility to make sure all the logistics fall in place. The other is being with divers and friends from the shop and a trip leader who knows all the cool places to visit, see, and dive.

Somehow I don't see getting that from an internet travel website. And the above is worth the additional dollars paid to the local shop.

I went to a LDS and they wanted to book the trip for us so I let them give me a price, it was $700.00 more for each of us which came to $1400.00 which I felt was too much of a difference. The $1400.00 paid for the next 9 nights in Hawaii that my wife and I enjoyed. Incidently, you'll be really disappointed with the diving in Hawaii after Australia, we were
Camaniac:wacko:

TexasMike once bubbled...
The announcement for this Australia trip was done as a favor (and support) for a favorite LDS.

While I don't doubt that you can find good prices for travel from internet sites, you miss out on the superior customer service before, DURING, and after the trip that a diver-to-dive shop relationship is going to provide.

Blue Dolphin Scuba sends one of its diving professionals along on each trip as the trip leader (and often head honcho Mike Tyzbir (the owner) goes). To me this can make one of the big differences since it is the trip leaders responsibility to make sure all the logistics fall in place. The other is being with divers and friends from the shop and a trip leader who knows all the cool places to visit, see, and dive.

Somehow I don't see getting that from an internet travel website. And the above is worth the additional dollars paid to the local shop.

I'm sure the shop told you they get a free spot on the liveaboard for every 8 spots booked, right? :boom:

Our opinions obviously differ regarding supporting your LDS.

I won't continue an argument regarding who to book with that is just based on personal opinion.

I will state that the folks at Blue Dolphin are real nice and do 125% to ensure you have a positive trip.

There are three LDS in our town, none of which travel to locations other than Bonaire or Cozumel. The dive shop that I used for pricing is about 50miles away, and they weren't very nice to me after they found out I was going to Australia without them being involved. I went to their LDS and wanted to get more equip. like saftey sausages and nite lights, and new boots. They gave me greif about not using their travel bookings, I told them they were $700. too high, they never blinked, they never offered me less they only harped "you should use our travel desk". Now tell me, you would drive 50 miles to listen to an LDS ***** at you, while you are buying equip from them? A couple of hundred$$ each would have been more like it, not $700.! Now I won't return there, I'll use the net for travel and purchasing. I wish we had a decent LDS in our town. I'm currently trying a local 7miles away LDS for regulator service ( the femme **** ), we'll see how she pans out.:boom:
I too would like to support a local dive shop that travels to good locations, consider yourself fortunate.
Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

Hi cay Im with you I have booked PNG and Osprey with a Australian dive/travel Co, (Diversion ) I think there knowledge about there area has to be better than any local lds owner state side. I had to call them a couple of days ago to cancel owing to just having a stroke and was told no problem just get well and we hope to see you next year, I coul-not fault them with booking or cancellation.

Most of the local dive operators here in Oz are pretty good, provide divemasters, good briefings and look after you well in general. For local knowledge you might try checking out one of the local dive forums www.diveoz.com.au . I live here and use it regularly, it is very helpful.

marno once bubbled...
Most of the local dive operators here in Oz are pretty good, provide divemasters, good briefings and look after you well in general. For local knowledge you might try checking out one of the local dive forums www.diveoz.com.au . I live here and use it regularly, it is very helpful.

I really enjoyed my trip to Cairns and Port Douglas. We had a great time with Diversity on the GBR and Coral Sea. Before I left for the trip and while I was searching for tips on the net, I registered with the forum that you suggested, and it was not very helpful. My only thought is that not many Aussies are making the liveaboard trips out to the Coral Sea. I had very few if any responses to questions about weather and sea conditions as well as what could we perchance see on our liveaboard. I'm not trying to slam any one, just telling it how it happened to me.:boom:
Caymaniac

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom