Authoritative Incompetency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My comments on wreck diving are based on living in the Great Lakes. There is no legal artifact collecting in the Great Lakes on any wreck unless it's with a salvage permit (very hard to get). In Michigan, it's a felony. Most of us prefer it that way.

I used to think night diving was a useless speciality too until I did a number of night dives with divers for their first time.

There were at least fifteen divers, and only one instructor.

I didn't have a problem with this one because they were all certified divers. It wasnt an instuctor to student situation. He was just another diver. Stupid maybe, but another diver!

All of them dove nitrox. If they're trained in nitrox, no big deal.

They did not mark their tanks. No excuse. Just plain stupid. Obviously the training (see above) was no training at all!!

I saw hide nor hair of a dive table anywhere on the boat Most of the divers seemed quite confident in their cheesy little yellow computers clipped weakly to their HP hoses.. Without the rest of this story, lack of dive tables wouldn't normally be a concern. We do all of our calculations before hitting the dive site, and have them on our slates/wetnotes. But with these guys, it doesn't sound like they did ANY planning at all.

In their defense, they DID use an oxygen analyzer. This may be the only thing they did right all day!!!!

The divers wore typical rental jacket-style BCs, but oddly hung their backup reg off of a bungee necklace with some type of plastic "mouthpiece holder" dangling from it. ...Their backups were on very short hoses, which turned out to be much too short. Many of their backups fell out of their mouthpiece holders on the boat because the hose pulled it out as the wrongly-sized BC slipped around them This just sounds like a mess. I dont think it was an attempt at DIR-not with what else was going on!

These folks just got piss poor instruction. I don't know what elso to say. The scary part is that they think they know how to dive now. Let's all cross our fingers and hope they don't turn into a statistic.

Dive safe,

Jack

I just finished reading the original post (havn't read many of the replies yet) and have to agree with Tom V. The guardian angels were busy that day. And I'm sorta glad you and your buddy were there since if something were to hit the fan, you would be experienced enough to assist in a rescue.

I agree with Warren's point about "bad instruction perpetuating itself". Makes me wonder about the instruction style of the trainer of the instructor in Warren's post. Could it be he (the trainer) also ingored the same items that Warren pointed out.

Perhaps we, the more "aware" divers, need to be willing to come forward and say something when we see things like this. Perhaps by writing a letter saying that "I saw this, this, and this, and it goes against all that I have learned about diving. I wanted you to know about it so you will have the chance to improve." Send it to the shop owner (or charter operator) and CC: the boat captain (if applicable) and the certifying agency(s). Sorta like notifying the Better Business Bureau when business practices are involved. Unless you hold them accountable, the problem will continue.

Anyhow....Thanks for the thought provoking post Warren. It's threads like this that help all of us learn to be more aware of our situations and work toward being better divers.

I can't believe so many people on here share the same view point as I do regarding agencies and the industry at large. I am pretty vocal in my unhappiness of most certifying agencies. There's no doubt in my mind that greed is driving this incompetence we see.

We see this kind of junk happinging up here, though not on the same scale of course, as the warmer vacation places. We have the same type of recreational divers, being tought the same way, and charter companies (dive shop arranged trips) taking them to wrecks in 130'-150' of water (really cold water). It's totally mind boggling, and we have a lot of near misses every summer.

Mike

First, thanks for all the great replies! It seems like scubaboard is the place to be on these wintery Saturday mornings.

neil's:
"All of them dove nitrox." Was there something inherently wrong with this? Most agencies allow using Nitrox on OW dives if the coursework has been done otherwise. The reasoning (I'm not saying I agree) is that using nitrox does not introduce any truly new in-water skills. In dive planning you'd have a max depth whether or not you had a Nitrox MOD, no? But you said they were on their "post-OW-certification-celebration-trip", so they were already certified? I hope so, because 15 is 7 more STUDENTS than one instructor is allowed to take into OW.

I agree that they were certified (though not well, based on their lack of astonishment to find tanks with no labels and random FO2s) for nitrox, and thus they should be able to dive nitrox all they'd like. The reason it bothered me was that they were only at 60 feet, and were completely gas-limited. None of them could have taken advantage of the longer bottom times, because none of them had enough gas. So nitrox was rather pointless, besides, of course, providing a little less nitrogen-loading. However, the way that the instructor spoke about nitrox led me to believe he sold them the class based on the subjective ideas about nitrox making you feel more energetic, or causing less post-dive fatigue -- not based on the facts of decreased DCI risk when dived as air, or the longer bottom times. The instructor had the ludicrous attitude that no one should ever "chew on air" no matter what the dive profile. I felt he just wanted to charge them $200 for a certification they didn't completely learn, and $10 for their nitrox fills they didn't completely need.

And yes, they were certified, and this wasn't technically a class -- but at the same time, it was the same people depending upon the same guy for direction. The instructor/student relationship was alive and well, even if it wasn't "official."

The lack of MOD labels and their mix hysteria unsettled me first, and I started noticing all kinds of behavior I didn't like -- though it was "legal" by the rulebook, it still wouldn't be what I'd choose to do. The DID break hard-and-fast gas-management rules, though, and that's what really got to me.

Thanks neil.

jmsdiver:
In response to the agencies that teach computers only, the only one that I know of is TDI/SDI.

Ouch, and I used to be such a TDI groupie.

Furthermore, the second dive on the two tank boat dive was NOT the site requested, nor was there enough SI time between the sites, plus it was just as deep as the first one, though the map drawn said that it was a max of 40 feet (the top of the reef started at 50). Needless to say, many divers aborted the dive (many were new) and those of use that stayed went into deco.

That sounds pretty rough, too -- especially since I'd imagine all charter boats have depth-finders.

So, there we are, alone in the deep blue current; we go up a bit and catch up with the group. Back on board, I get an ass chewing by the group leader and the DM because I separated from the rest of the group. I understand that the DM's job depends on getting everyone back safely and that divers have been left behind before, but my concern was for my buddy's safety (him being new and all) and no one seemed concerned.

I think you made the right decision, there, too. It sounds like your buddy separated first, though -- did he not get a reprimand, too? Those kind of situations are gray areas though -- even when handled correctly, they're still disconcerting to DM's. One might even say that one dead diver is better than two dead divers. It's a very sticky situation, indeed. One diver has bad information (i.e. depth gauge) and is waving the other diver to follow him. The other diver has the correct information and is waving just as confidently for his BUDDY to follow HIM. There isn't any way for either diver to know for sure he's got the correct information. Generally, when my buddy starts trying to get me to do something contrary to all the information I have, there's nothing else to do besides call the dive and chat about it over hot cocoa. I'm glad you got it all taken care of, jmsdiver.

Walter:
You were probably on the General Sherman.

That sounds right, actually. You'd think I'd know my own dives.... but.... ok, I'm not perfect either. I don't think I ever found out what wreck it was! Oops. All I have to say for myself is that my buddy signed me up! The other divers were mainly collecting belt buckles and pieces of leather. Apparently the boat was full of uniforms -- does that agree with the General Sherman?

Frankly, most instructors are incompetent. Your story does not surprise me, it's fairly typical and I've personally seen much worse.

I hope I can transcend the norm.

DeepSeaDan:

You have a VERY good point. :( I should have told someone.

jmsdiver and NetDoc:

You both said some very pertinent things. I agree whole-heartedly. NetDoc, I'm going to save your post and read it again and again as I start my first classes. I've caught myself having a bit of a "holier than thou" attitude a few times with fellow divers -- and that attitude is wholly incompatible with teaching. I have to make sure I don't fall into that trap! Thanks for the excellent post.

bradymsu:
In defense of c-card collection, I can see where many of these specialities are a good idea.

I think diving with an instructor or other (intelligent) recognized authority from time to time is definitely good for anyone, and getting a new specialty c-card is a good way to ensure they're under an instructor's wing every now and again. At the same time, though, they're overpriced, and pushed harder than other really useful classes like rescue.

Bob:
To make a long story short, he found his buddy at 90fsw, narced out of his mind, BUDDY BREATHING with a 'cuda.

LOL! Yeah, the Buddy-Breathing-With-Barracuda story is as old as diving itself, I think. I have the distinct feeling it's an urban myth. The concept of one being narced out of one's mind at 90fsw is laughable, and the concept that another diver, in the same conditions, would be unaffected enough to be a hero makes for a good tall tale.

I do have one story to share, though -- this really happened, and I think I will definitely share it with my students when the time is right.

A class of five students from my university was doing AOW with a quite competent instructor, whom we all trusted very much. We went to South Holston Dam in Tennesee in mid-March. The water was 53 on the surface, and the air was low 40's. Most of us were rather familiar with cold water, but we were all still pretty green, as well. In particular, my buddy, a thin (one might say boney) young woman of 90 pounds or so was shivering on the surface. Needless to say, the dive really wasn't for her. However, my instructor let us make our own decisions, and peer pressure and the prospect of travelling all that way for nothing convinced her to make the dive.

We were supposed to make a descent to 110 feet, and do a timed math problem on a slate to demonstrate narcosis. No one knew how cold the water was on the bottom. Three thermoclines later, we were at a bone-chilling 38 degrees, diving in 7mm wetsuits. When we got to the gravel bottom, I immediately noticed my buddy acting, well, a bit "weird." She was kneeling slightly on one knee, her body rocking gently back and forth. Her eyes were wide, and she looked around her, making the "I'm cold" sign to everyone and no one. She wasn't really conscious, and didn't respond to me, even when I started tapping her mask with my fingers. I called the dive immediately, and made a controlled, slow ascent while holding onto her tightly. When we got to about 60 feet, we passed through the second thermocline, and she kinda woke up and began to realize where she was. She started to look at her gauges, started to adjust her buoyancy for herself. When we got the surface, she was crying, and just hugged me. The other divers were still at the bottom, doing their math problems. I helped her back on shore, and we jumped in the van to get her warmed back up. She was a pale blue color, and was shivering so violently she could barely drink the hot chocolate I prepared for her. I discovered that she really was something close to unconscious, because she didn't remember being at the bottom, nor of me tapping her mask, nor of me beginning her ascent for her. Needless to say, she didn't dive again that day. I was no hero! I was badly, I mean BADLY, shaken. I was not yet trained to do make ascents with unconscious divers, and I did not know how to handle buoyancy. I was so scared that she might skyrocket if I touched her inflator that I just held onto her like a big lead weight and used my own BC as a lift bag (which, of course, is a big no-no). Thank god she was breating normally, though, because I don't know what I would have done if she hadn't continued to breath. I was incredibly lucky to have been put in a position well over my head, and to have managed to not screw up. Of course, I learned more from the experience than I can put into words here.

I had to do the deep dive over again that afternoon, unfortunately, because I didn't do my math problem and couldn't be AOW certified without it. :(

TexasMike:
Perhaps we, the more "aware" divers, need to be willing to come forward and say something when we see things like this. Perhaps by writing a letter saying that "I saw this, this, and this, and it goes against all that I have learned about diving. I wanted you to know about it so you will have the chance to improve." Send it to the shop owner (or charter operator) and CC: the boat captain (if applicable) and the certifying agency(s). Sorta like notifying the Better Business Bureau when business practices are involved. Unless you hold them accountable, the problem will continue.

Indeed -- you guys are making me believe a good diver is responsible for enforcing GOOD DIVING -- in everyone around him. One can be tactful enough to avoid bruising egos, while still promoting good practice...

- Warren "This post was so long I had to remove some smilies to post it" Craddock

I don't see any biggie here, business as usual. From the description given in the original post, I'm inclined to look at all the safety procedures in place as opposed to supposed flagrency. For Pete's sake, these newbies had available a slew of redundant equipment and advanced equipment unavailable to anybody until the present generation. Can you imagine what a sensation that cheesy yellow computer would have been 20 years ago?

So they didn't have it all together, what should one expect? If they had all the streamlining and grace of an experienced freediver, for example, I for one would be surprised. Besides, the dive plan was to crawl around on the wreck and dig for stuff.

Yes, the air mix was ditzy but it wasn't contaminated or dangerous.

I'm assuming there was good visibility, good weather and not much current. Was this a byproduct of proper planning?

I am still awe struck that dive instructors can take a group of people from all walks, many of whom have no natural inclination to swim underwater, have trouble equalizing, are out of shape, don't know which way is up, and yet not end of having half of them drown. It does command some respect.

Two points, there should have been an instructor's assistant on the scene and a post dive critique of the whole event. Students could express misgivings about dangling alternate air regulators and the instructor could comment on buoyancy control, etc. He might discuss the fact that some divers surfaced "out of air" and besides saying "don't do that", he could mention how that relates to air awareness and the wisdom of carrying a snorkel fastened to the left side of the mask. He might remind them that purchase of a vest which, among other things, presents the safest posture while on the surface should be considered. He might even hold a mock contest to see who had the most interesting goodie in those vest pockets.

If they thought the wings were "funny" looking, don't stew about it. They do look funny.

PS: The "skinny" woman who spaced out(see post above); she may have had diabetes, hypoglycemia, anorexia or just got over the flu. Anyway, one problem I saw as as instructor was lack of thorough medical screening. Oftentimes, I thought the doctors were just passing them through. Potential divers should have some kind of pychological evaluation as well. Some of the things I saw, like hyperventilation and panic attacks, could possibly have been anticipated. None of this will ever happen though, for the same reason that newbies are pushed through the courses. It's about economics and egalitarianism.

devjr,

Hmmm... well, I don't want to "argue" with you... but I have to say something.

1) You're right, their equipment would have been impressive to the people who built their own buoyancy compensators in the dim early days of diving. What relevance does that have, though? If there's even better equipment available, is it acceptable to use anything else?

Besides, I wasn't really that upset with their gear -- their backup reg setup was a bit stupid, but other than that they wore typical rec gear, which is fine by me.

2) I find it hard to swallow that you believe not marking a mixed-gas tank is just "ditzy." So contamination is important, but breathing the wrong mix at depth is not?

3) Yes, the instructor should have done MANY things differently. On this, I agree with you. :D

4) I didn't mind their astonishment at my funny-looking gear one bit. It was amusing, at least. :D

- Warren

devjr,

Yeah, I never really found out what caused her to black out. I don't think she had any outright medical problems. She was an EMT, as well, and was pretty objective about medical things. She was a pretty experienced diver, too, but she hated cold water. I guess premonition was right!

- Warren

WarrenG,
I dove in South Holston two years ago. We dove an old creek bed under the rock wall just around the point at Observation Knob. It was a July dive and the temp at 60 ft. was 59F. I can't imagine the dam in March. My buddies want me to dive around graveyard island with them this summer, but this summer is pretty much took up. :tree:Bob

Originally posted by VTWarrenG
First, thanks for all the great replies! It seems like scubaboard is the place to be on these wintery Saturday mornings.

Warren.... UW is the place to be on these wintery Saturday mornings....

You wuss....

We are in the midst of the millenium's biggest snow storm out here in the Pacific NW....

It is the major news item on every TV station....

And yet we went diving twice today....
This morning and this afternoon....

Shoot.... I'll bet we even had an inch of snow before it melted!!!

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom