Automated External Defibrillators on Dive Boats

Are AEGs available on dive boats that you've been on?

• Most all boats that I've been on have them (please specify where).

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Some of the boats I've been on have them (please specify where).

• AEGs seem to be on boats in one area but not another (please specify where).

• None of the boats have AEGs (please specify where).

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania

Diving Polymath
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
On a large pile of smokin' A'a, the most isolated
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Are Automated External Defibrillators available on dive boats that you've been on?

I've seen AEGs on the few boats I've dove in the Keys, but they're not in common use in Kona as far as I can tell.

We are currently working on raising funds to purchase one to take
with us on our dive trips. I've been present for a heart attack fatality
and I for one would have much more peace of mind having one on board.
The boats in N.C. don't have them AFAIK, but I think that they should.

I've been on quite a few dive boats along the SE US (NC - FL), and I don't ever remember seeing an AED on the boat or hearing about one during the briefing. Though my memory is far from perfect!

Thank you Gene,
I didn't know Dan did this. Just printed out the info to look over.
Wishing you happy holidays and safe diving!

I have 4 related questions regarding the potential use of an AED on a Dive Boat.

1) Can the vibration of a boat engine interfere with the rhythm analysis performed by an AED? If so, see questions 2, 3 and 4.

2) In the event that the AED is going to be used on a boat, must the engine be turned off? If so, see question 4.

3) Can boat motion, caused by wave action and/or swells, affect the analysis performed by an AED?

4) Are there sea-borne vessels (crusie ships, tankers, etc.) that regularly carry AEDs?

I have 4 related questions regarding the potential use of an AED on a Dive Boat.

1) Can the vibration of a boat engine interfere with the rhythm analysis performed by an AED? If so, see questions 2, 3 and 4.

2) In the event that the AED is going to be used on a boat, must the engine be turned off? If so, see question 4.

3) Can boat motion, caused by wave action and/or swells, affect the analysis performed by an AED?

4) Are there sea-borne vessels (crusie ships, tankers, etc.) that regularly carry AEDs?

I'm not an expert but I'll address to what I do know from the incident that
I was present for.
1. The vibration of a boat makes it very hard to tell if there is a pulse.
2. When the Coast Guard boarded the boat and hooked the pads up
to the victim, the boat was moving.
3. Since the Coast Guard / Fire Dept. never requested the boat to be shut
off, I think it's safe to assume that movement does not affect the AED analysis.
If there is no heart rhythm present the AED will not shock the victim.

Only once .... ( that's way not enough ).

On the charter boat in Cayo Largo in Cuba !

It was ten years ago when the American Heart Association suggested that hospitals put AEDs in hospitals. It was believed by AHA that the effectiveness of these devices would be proven in clinics, and they had been in the outside world. But as to what I heard lately this year, Automated defibrillators could be costing lives in hospitals, really these are effective and useful to be used in hospitals in saving lives but they are not necessarily the best option in hospital cardiac wards, where staff and nurses are trained in emergency cardiac care. :3

Back
Top Bottom