Availability of Second Stage Only!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pipehorse

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
To Whom It May Concern,

I own what I believe is an MR II regulator. I bought it new nineteen years ago, I have two thousand dives on it, have it serviced on a regular basis, and I am completely satisfied with it. Unfortunately the second stage has not held up as well as the first stage, and it is time for a new second stage. I would like to buy a Proton Metal Second Stage, but I am continually hearing, sorry, we cant just sell you the second stage. Why is this? Where can I buy "just" the second stage? I did find a Proton Metal Second Stage octupus with yellow markings, is this the same as the primary second stage accept for the markings?

Thank you in advance for shedding any light on this situation for me.

Peter Leahy

The only difference between a Proton Metal 2nd stage and a Proton Metal Octo is the Octo is slightly "detuned" so it will not freeflow as easily. This normally results in it breathing just a little bit harder. Any good tech should be able to "retune" it, so it breathes the same a a normal 2nd stage. And you will have to live with the little yellow plug/cover, unless you can find an LDS who will order the standard grey plug/cover.

The Proton Metal octopus is the same reg as the primary. The black plug port is available from a Mares dealer. And, yes, it does need to be adjusted to match the intermediate pressure of your MR12 II first stage.

Greg Barlow

Back
Top Bottom