Avis - American Express

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a fan of this coverage and have used it several times. Just be aware that in the event of vehicle damage or theft you (and not Amex) will be liable to the rental company for the cost of repairing or replacing the vehicle. The Amex coverage is clear that they provide reimbursement of approved claims to the Amex card-member, rather than issuing payment of any claim directly to the rental car company.

In other words this insurance policy is a contract between Amex and you, not between Amex and the rental company. This means it will also be incumbent upon you to negotiate with the rental company to resolve any perceived discrepancies in severity and/or cost of vehicle repair or replacement.

This is also in line with the rental terms & conditions published on Avis's website: "When the P.D.W. is not accepted, renter will be fully liable for the damage up to the full value."

I'm a fan of this coverage and have used it several times. Just be aware that in the event of vehicle damage or theft you (and not Amex) will be liable to the rental company for the cost of repairing or replacing the vehicle. The Amex coverage is clear that they provide reimbursement of approved claims to the Amex card-member, rather than issuing payment of any claim directly to the rental car company.

In other words this insurance policy is a contract between Amex and you, not between Amex and the rental company. This means it will also be incumbent upon you to negotiate with the rental company to resolve any perceived discrepancies in severity and/or cost of vehicle repair or replacement.

This is also in line with the rental terms & conditions published on Avis's website: "When the P.D.W. is not accepted, renter will be fully liable for the damage up to the full value."

I believe this is true of most (if not all) car rental insurance policies included as perks on credit cards. Customer pays rental company for loss, then claim against insurance company. That’s why I always buy the car rental company’s LDW despite having rental car coverage through my credit card. If I total the car, I walk away with LDW but with no LDW, I have to pay the rental company for the whole car first, then claim the amount back, and hope they don’t deny my claim. The cost of LDW is high and often doubles the cost of the car rental but the hassles it possibly saves me is worth it for me. Gives me peace of mind.

I completely agree with Dogbowl. For me, peace of mind is worth a lot. In December my rental car was bashed in the West Bay parking lot on Grand Cayman while out diving. The rental company, Andy's, did not blink when I brought it back. All I had to do was fill out a 2 minute report at the rental desk and then walk away.

I completely agree with Dogbowl. For me, peace of mind is worth a lot. In December my rental car was bashed in the West Bay parking lot on Grand Cayman while out diving. The rental company, Andy's, did not blink when I brought it back. All I had to do was fill out a 2 minute report at the rental desk and then walk away.

Your story confirms that I should continue to buy LDW when renting a car. Thanks!

Thanks for the additional info. I’m onboard for the LDW now too.

The car rental company's insurance usually provides for coverage of "loss of use" and private or credit-card insurance typically does not. If they can claim the car has a rack rate of $60 per day and it is in the shop for 20 days...that's $1200 that they are going to want for "loss of use", however they phrase it. One more gotcha to watch out for. You want to make sure that SOMEONE is covering that one.

I always get it even when it feels like it is a racket. The piece of mind of not having to play "that dent was there" when you return it is worth it. I do think there is a fair amount of variability to the cost though. In my experience Buddy seemed pretty pricey and AB pretty reasonable. I am using Island next week, I am not sure what the cost is but will buy it.

I didn't post this to remind everyone that I will be on island next week, but I will be. :wink:

Photograph the car you are renting in detail, especially every bit of damage. They start claiming you did something, you can show it was there from the get go. A quick wash and a bit polish may take out something you might have done, if it is minor.

We got a low ball rental truck on Bonaire once and the tailgate fell off. They said no worries, we'll just weld it back on. I pointed out that you can't weld rust and just borrowed a 2 x 6 plank which fit across the tailgate opening. This was the trip I bought one of the tire inflator adapters for a low pressure hose. The tires needed air regularly.

Back
Top Bottom