Baby sea turtles need YOUR help!!! (Broward)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DebbyDiver

Livin' the dream
ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Dear dive buddy,

Whether you live in or near Broward, or are coming to visit, between now and the end of September the baby sea turtle hatchlings in Broward County need your help!

Do you know what kills most baby sea turtles?

Lights on shore or on piers that disorient the hatchlings from going toward the ocean. They end up dehydrated in the dune vegetation and die, or they end up on the road to be killed by cars.
I'm a volunteer with STOP, Sea Turtle Oversight Protection. Our mission is "To rescue disoriented sea turtle hatchlings in Broward County, Florida." Every night along the beaches of Broward, we walk from nest to nest looking for hatchlings, and when we know a nest is about to hatch out, we monitor it to make sure the babies get to the water.

We need your help!!! It isn't hard. You don't even need to commit a long period of time. ANY night you are available, any time from about 8:00 p.m. to the wee hours of the morning, you can volunteer. Your assignment could be as simple as sitting at a nest waiting for a hatchout, or as complicated as walking along the sand looking for disoriented turtle babies. Yes, it's that easy.

To get involved, contact STOP through their website or contact me to get in touch with the volunteer in your area. I work the Hollywood/Dania Beach area but there is a greater need in Fort Lauderdale and especially Pompano Beach and Lauderdale by the Sea.

Can you help, even if it is just one night? We just need a spare set of eyes to help us find the errant hatchlings so we can get them to the water.

Make it your date night. Make it your family night out. Just please help us help the baby turtles!

Below is a video taken the other night by a STOP volunteer showing just how much the turtles need your help!!!

This is video proof of a serious problem. Sea Turtle hatchlings become disoriented by lights on the beach from businesses and homes. The hatchlings walk towards the light, onto roads, fall into drains or become dehydrated and use their small energy reserves wondering the beach in circles.

This video was taken on 7/10/2010 in Ft. Lauderdale FL on a single night on a 1 mile stretch of beach.. Imagine what we miss...

The instinct to go towards the light is so powerful that these hatchlings had to be manually redirected several times, even after they were put next to the water.

How is this legal to kill a Federally protected endangered species???
ITS NOT!!! IT IS A FELONY OFFENSE!!!

art_225.jpg

I'm scheduled to be in FL from July 23 until August 2. I'll be based in Miami Beach but if I can get the manpal's car early enough in order to be there by 8pm, I'd love to help out at least once -- most likely during the week.

YES! Please PM me when the time is closer and we'll set you up for a vacation adventure you'll never forget!

My girlfriend and I would love to help out. We live right near the area. I'll just have to find out what nights we're free and all

Thank you, send me a PM as soon as you know. Which area are you right near?

i'm closest to ft lauderdale but LBTS would be ok too cause its like right down the street from there. We should be able to make it out there at least a few nights each week, just gotta talk it over and see when our schedules are open. I'll let you know as soon as I can

I just want to congratulate you on all your hard work. You are doing great saving these poor turtles. Is there nothing the owners of that building can do? seems ridiculous they dont even try? I wish I could help but live in Nova Scotia Canada. Good luck and keep up the good work.

Zaixon, THANKS, PM your contact info (e-mail and telephone) and I will give it to the lead volunteer in the area you want to work in once you know when you can help. We need help EVERY night so it will be at YOUR convenience. :wink:

vicmac, the owners refuse to comply, although it is against the law. STOP is working on it but it's an uphill battle.

Debby would love to help now and then. I live a bit far from that area Kendall (Miami, FL) but then again, I'm off for most of the summer (I'm a teacher) and not only helping the turtles would be rewarding in itself, but frankly spending some evenings strolling on the beach sounds like fun anyway. and I know my niece and nephew will enjoy an outing like this very much. I'll PM you my e-mail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom