Back from Belizean Shores Resort, Ambergris Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saholz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Spent 9 days at the Belizean Shores Resort, which is about 3.5 miles north of San Pedro. Incredible place...large apartment style rooms with kitchens, friendly staff, beautiful pool, and good food. It's an easy walk to a few north end restaurants, or a $5 water taxi into San Pedro.

Got in 11 dives, including a day trip to the Blue Hole, Half Moon Caye, and Long Caye. The Blue Hole was the Brown Hole when I was there...just brown muck at depth with zero visibility. Apparently, it was like that the whole week I was there. Luckily, the dives at the cayes made up for it.

I dove with Ambergris Divers, rather than the house dive op, Tuff Enuff ... whom I never heard of. Rough seas the whole week, sometimes 6' swells. Visibility averaged about 40-60', and water temperatures stayed a consistent 79-80F. Some sites had lots of surge and silted over reefs...others were better. I saw more nurse sharks, morays, and grouper than anywhere else, plus a decent number of rays and turtles. Smaller reef fish seemed relatively sparse, although a couple of sites did have tons of Parrotfish. Shark feeding was done on one dive at Esmeralda. Nothing compared to the dives I did at Half Moon Wall and Aqauarium at Long Caye.

San Pedro was a great little town with lots going on. Had excellent meals at Caliente's, Elvi's, and Fido's. Near the resort, our best off-site meals were at Capt. Morgan's and Luna's, at Journey's End. Meals at the resort were at the "Upper Deck", a bar and restaurant. Good food and decent prices.

Here's a link to my PhotoBucket album...which has a bunch of diving as well as non-diving pictures. saholz/Ambergris Caye February 2008 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

All in all, it was a very enjoyable trip. Loved the resort, loved the island and its people, but was a bit disapponted in the rather average diving.

Attachments

• Ambergris Caye, Belize February, 2008 006 (Small).jpg
    Ambergris Caye, Belize February, 2008 006 (Small).jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 200
We were looking into going to Belize, but our schedule has nicked that idea.

Belizean Shores looks really nice, but I always heard it was too far north to do anything late at night due to the water taxi closing. True?

Could there be any other reason to go besides Tanya? :wink:

Belizean Shores looks really nice, but I always heard it was too far north to do anything late at night due to the water taxi closing. True?

Well, the Belizean Shores water taxi usually calls it quits about 9:30 at night. The other alternative would be to rent a golf cart...then you'd be free to come and go as you want. Of course, you might find one of the boat drivers who would be happy to pick you up any time and shuffle you back to the resort for a few extra bucks. They generally keep the boats at a dock in town overnight anyway.

Cool. I was just worried about being stranded at the resort at night without a way to get to town. Those golf carts seem to be quite pricey for a weeks worth of rental though!

Could there be any other reason to go besides Tanya? :wink:

This woman must be a legend by now! I couldn't go anywhere on the island without her name coming up.:eyebrow:

Attachments

• Tanya mistress of the bar (Medium).jpg
    Tanya mistress of the bar (Medium).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 400
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom