Back from my "month" in Barbados

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok so I am finally back from my “month” in Barbados. Some of you will remember that I actually had to cut the month to three weeks as my daughter is now preggers and I need some leave time to go visit when the new family member arrives.

Anyway, the trip down was pretty good. I was upgraded all the way which made the leg from Atlanta to Barbados so much nicer. We arrived on time and the lady with my car was there so I did the paperwork for the car and then went back to the customs exit area to wait for my friend who’s plane arrived just a few minutes after mine. She spent the first week with me and then my girl friend came down the last two weeks.

My friend’s trip was pretty good except on take off her plane was just ready to lift off and the pilot slammed on breaks and almost ran off the end of the runway. Apparently some lady had gotten up and decided she needed to go to the bathroom. I think my friend said they threw them off the plane.

We hit the hotel and took off to the grocery store to stock up. We got back and then got ready to go to Oistins for the Saturday night fish fry. I wanted my friend to have as many “Bajun” experiences as possible so we waited for one of the purple strip van cabs. These are the cheapest and most primitive means of transport possible. I have ridden next to animals on these things. And, often, the air is really sweet inside if you get my bong drift. The reggae music is always blaring.

We learned they were doing some major renovations in the Oistins area and the whole fish fry thing had been moved to the other side of the street. Once we got there the sky just fell out with rain. So bottom line, we ate and hauled butt back to the hotel to rest up for the next day.

I had told my friend about Discover Scuba and she gave that a shot but it didn’t turn out well unfortunately. She had problems clearing mask but finally got that under control, but when the time for the dive came, she couldn’t get her ears to equalize. So she never got to do the dive. Bummer. But she did have a good time.

We did the Bajun Plantation Review and we became famous there. All during the show the Master of Ceremony would make announcements that some couple was celebrating their umpty ump years of happy marriage. I went up to the MC and said could I get an anniversary announced. She said sure. So I told her I was celebrating my 7th year of blissfully happy DIVORCE and she gagged. But on the next break she gave a happy marriage announcement and then said she had never done this before, but the guy seemed so happy so everyone should know that Rich is celebrating his 7th year of happy divorce! All the guys cheered. And, I was told to come up and participate in the limbo contest. I won a bottle of rum.

The whole rest of the week my friend was there we would be stopped in the malls, on the street….even a cop stopped us one time and asked wasn’t I the guy celebrating my 7th year of happy divorce!! When my friend flew out she said she was sitting next to a couple and they kept staring at her. Finally the lady said that she looked awful familiar. Then the lady said, oh I know where I know you from now. You were with Rich ….the divorced guy….at the Plantation Review!! So now I am famous.

We partied and I got in a shore dive with David at Carlisle Bay. The vis was not that good which was a shame especially because my friend and I had just snorkeled there two days earlier and we could see bottom like there was no water at all.

My friend’s week finally ended and she flew out at noon. At 8pm that evening my GF showed up. That really confused some of the guest at the hotel let me tell you. I am with one hot chick for a week and trade off for another. What a riot.

I got a few more dives in and it was as good as usual. I dove exclusively with John Moore of Dive Barbados Ltd. Good guy. I will always recommend him.

The rest of my two weeks seemed to go faster than the short first week did. My GF and I did a lot more night life partying. We hit the Boatyard, the Lime Light , the 19th Hole, and the Arbor Lights. The last was the least of a good deal. They actually closed down at 1030 pm. The rest went almost all night.

My GF and I have decided we won’t be doing Barbados next year. We need a break from the islands. This was our third year in a row to Barbados. Since I am closing on a house tomorrow and moving this weekend, I figure there just may be no money for a vacation next year anyway. But if there is it will be a road trip (no diving) in Ireland. I love Ireland.

If anyone needs specifics on clubs or activities in Barbados feel free to PM me. I have been there 4 times now and know the activities available pretty well.

Was it worth the three weeks? Yep it was. I enjoyed my time with my friend. I enjoyed my time with my GF. If anything, I wish I had had some time alone to myself. But it is probably a good thing I didn’t. I would have just gotten in trouble.

In two weeks I deploy to the frozen lands of Alaska until December and that will def be a weather change. In a weird way I am looking forward to it.

Oh, go to MySpace and find Garv1981. He is a new friend I made there and listen to his music. That young man is going to go places. I will be able to say I knew him when. I got to see him perform both as a single and in his band.

Take care all…..rich

Nice report and I also used John Moore/Dive Barbados in June and highly recommend them. Quite the character and a joy to dive with. I never did get to meet Mary although I talked with her on the phone.

She wasnt at the hut when you checked in? She usually runs the hut while John dives.

That was one thing I wanted to check off my list of things not to regret on my death bed of never having done it.

Now I need to find that set of rather frisky twins !

Hey RichinNC - I'm headed to Barbados on 10/27 and tried to email John at Dive Barbados but it was returned. How do I get in touch with him to schedule dives? I believe I read one of your posts that said to contact Michael Gooding for a cab..correct? Also, any other recommendations for "first-timers" in Barbados?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom