Back inflate or women's bc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a backplate for my 1st BC, finally purchased equipment about 35 dives in... Seriously, backplate/harness is the BEST tool for getting perfect trim, and it's incredibly comfortable because there is nothing on your front but the harness therefore no jacket-style squeeze, ever. Your tank never rides up (or down) because the harness including crotch strap keeps it perfectly positioned. Vertical position on the surface is very secure -- no forward thrusting as is common with back inflation BC's because the buoyancy in the wing is at the bottom thanks to a gusset in virtually every model.

My primary reason for choosing the backplate at the time was that is packs completely FLAT and thus can be packed in a regular suitcase. Most of the jacket-style BCs and especially the back-inflation BCs are huge and practically need a suitcase to themselves (even the "travel" ones). Then once I started diving with the backplate/wing, I discovered all of the functional advantages.

So do NOT buy a BC -- buy a backplate and wing. I have the Halcyon stainless plate and 36# Pioneer wing. I also bought a GUTS aluminum backplate which I use with the Pioneer wing when I travel to warm water destinations (only weighs 1# vs. 6#).

kelpgurl

Thanks so much to all of you who responded. I just returned from a week in Cozumel (glorious!) and decided to purchase a Zeagle Escape before we left. I LOVED IT! Comfortable, non-constricting, easy to adjust (and to pack)...I think I made the right choice. For anyone in a similar dilemma...I strongly recommend this one. As a relatively new diver, now with 31 dives, I'm absolutely thrilled with every aspect of it. I'm so glad I went this way.
Mrs. Jerryzim (aka Wendy)

Hey -

Another relatively new diver here. I'm looking to buy my first BC but I'm having trouble finding one that fits. I fit in the short/semi-busty category (5'2"/34") so men's BCs are pretty much out for me. I've tried the Zeagle Zena and Escape and Dacor XtremElle but would love suggestions for other petite women's BC's.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom