Back Inflation Divers Can you do this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound:
What you say makes perfect sense Brewone0to. Now the question would be... if your BCD should be almost empty at depth, where did backinflation BC get the reputation of giving you a better "horizontal profile." isnt that what makes divers prefer back inflation over stab jacket? What difference does it make whether its a stab jacket or Wings cuz down there they are supposed to have no air in them!

No, it's the fact that the bladder is behind you and out of the way. Another thing that bothers me with jacket style is that at the surface, when you're inflated - it normally makes it tough to get into pockets. But as far as swimming profile, I always tell people you don't have any air in your BC at depth so it doesn't matter where the air is(n't).

I beg to differ on the "completely empty" BCD.

- There's no way you'll have it 100% empty. There will always be SOME small amount of air.

- Even if you could empty it 100%, your exposure suit will compress the deeper you go. So you always need some air to offset that bit of negative buoyancy that increases the deeper you are.

- Let's pretend you are not diving with a suit. You still need to start the dive slightly negative so that you can hold a safety stop when the tank is low on air. So meanwhile, you need some amount of positive buoyancy to account for that.

No problems in any position btw.

<3 zeagle

I have a Zeagle Ranger and I don't know if I have ever tried this so I'll try it on my next dive. I can say that I can't remember not being able to maintain the orientation that I want.

1_T_Submariner:
I have a Zeagle Ranger and I don't know if I have ever tried this so I'll try it on my next dive. I can say that I can't remember not being able to maintain the orientation that I want.

Yes! Try swimming on your side for about 20 kick cycles without tilting over to any side. Then try the same 20 kick cycles swimming on your back. I would like to know how your experience went :) Thanks for being my test subject.

Man I can't remember the last time I put air in my BC. There is no issue with swimming in any position with a bladder on the back.

rakkis:
I beg to differ on the "completely empty" BCD.

- There's no way you'll have it 100% empty. There will always be SOME small amount of air.

- Even if you could empty it 100%, your exposure suit will compress the deeper you go. So you always need some air to offset that bit of negative buoyancy that increases the deeper you are.

- Let's pretend you are not diving with a suit. You still need to start the dive slightly negative so that you can hold a safety stop when the tank is low on air. So meanwhile, you need some amount of positive buoyancy to account for that.

Agreed. I use ten pounds in saltwater, (with an AL100) and I start the dive slightly negative, and have a couple "puffs" of air in the wing at depth, at the beginning of the dive. By the end of the dive, the wing is as empty of air as I can possibly make it, and I have no trouble holding the safety stop, even with the tank breathed down to 600psi.

I dive a Halycon singles wing and double wing for doubles. All my tanks are steel 130s. With a single it is no problem to get into any dive position I need to, including my side. The doubles are a different story but I've only been diving them for 5 months. I have not tried anything other than horizontal and verticle (at least not on purpose) with the doubles.

I really never understand these types of questions. (maybe I am missing something, because I seem to be alone on that...)

I find the rest of your body compensates, even though your position might apear the same, your core engages differently.

I dive an Eclipse for the last five years and it just feels so perfect, in all situations, I guess I had a sloppy bcd for a long time. Nothing shifts around with this bcd and it makes for a very stable "center".

(may be because I don't dive a drysuit or even steel tanks, so I don't have to compensate for much)

catherine96821:
I really never understand these types of questions.

I find the rest of your body compensates, even though your position might apear the same, your core engages differently.
yeah, kinda like breathing out of one lung when you wear all the deco bottles on one side. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom