Back Inflation Divers Can you do this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zeagle Brigade ... no issue. Also spend a lot of time on my back looking at fishies, buddy, other divers ... no issue.

highdesert:
Zeagle Brigade ... no issue. Also spend a lot of time on my back looking at fishies, buddy, other divers ... no issue.

Same. Like a previous poster said, its more about weight distribution than anything else.

-B

I use a Zeagle BP and a 30# wing, single tank, no problem upside down, sideways, whatever. If you roll, you have too much weight concentrated in one location.

Fish_Whisperer:
Agreed. I use ten pounds in saltwater, (with an AL100) and I start the dive slightly negative, and have a couple "puffs" of air in the wing at depth, at the beginning of the dive. By the end of the dive, the wing is as empty of air as I can possibly make it, and I have no trouble holding the safety stop, even with the tank breathed down to 600psi.

Rakkis and FW -

I agree there is no way to empty a bcd of 100% air but as close as possible. I don't have to tell you guys about lung capacity and buoyancy. I also start slightly negative but I have no issues controling that with my breathing. Now with that said, I am diving a single tank (20-100ft) and I do dive weekly so it is pretty dialed in at this point in both a 3mm or a 5mm. I know this is uncommon as I know several people who are the same.

Got a Aeris Atmos XT BCD, not a true back inflation, but pretty close. Never an issue.

SeaHound:
I was wondering, how easy is it for you guys to swim on your side if you have a Back inflation BC? I do that a lot while photography and I have had no problems with jacket style bc cuz aircell (which is all around you) carried you in mid air. if the aircell is behind you then wont you constantly have to struggle to be on your side? Wont the BC be constantly trying to "turn" you one yoru chest or back?

Thought?

I've noticed a difference between my back inflation BC and my old Jacket when rolling into different orientations for UW Photography.

In general, I find the Back inflation is more resistive and does take more effort (as you suggest). I also find that it is then a bit more "abrupt" when its tipping point is finally hit. I attribute the latter to being that its bladder lacks as full of a wrap-around, which would allow a smoother and more continuous transition.

In terms of full-vs-empty, the problem I'm referring to comes from the existing air bubble shifting its location within the BC, which means that it is worst when its only roughly 1/3rd full ... its behavior is just like any other piece of "Loose Gear".

IMO, if people aren't noticing these subtle differences, they need to work on their trim and control. I personally find that even a soft backpack design to me is irritating because of how it permits small changes.

-hh

Just as you can trim out your weights for head vs. feet, so can you trim out your weight for front vs back.

I had a friend who was having serious problems with his BP/W in the water. Every time he would twist sideways at all in the water while horizontal, the weight of the tank would flip him completely over on his back.

Then I noticed that he had his weights all the way back against the backplate, and not down near the front of his body. So he had lots of 'back weight' but no 'front weight'. That was a lot of instability while horizontal that would torque him around if he got off balance at all.

After a suggestion to move the weights, he was beaming after the next dive. The problem had completely vanished.

Now, back to the OP. I use a BP/W and on the surface I like to inflate that wing all the way and just recline back on it. My standard surface swim is on my back - OR - on my side. My weights are balanced front to back so that I haven't had a problem maintaining either orientation, even with the completely full wing.

It's all in the trim. Head to foot. Front to back. Side to side.

This is all with steel single tanks. Still getting the hang of doubles.

Took my Oceanic Excursion out on it's maiden voyage this morning, and figured I test this out, since I had never dove back inflate before. My dive buddy almost wet himself (actually he probably did), as he laughed at me swimming in all different positions. Result: no difference. I had no problem maintaining either side or on my back, for up to 40 cycles. Hope this helps!

good to hear on the excursion as I just picked one up, moving from a jacket style vest. Im not too worried, but the vote of confidence posted on here helps...

Back
Top Bottom