Back to TWICs for a second....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Campbell

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
...it is getting time to renew mine. I suspect it is as easy to go ahead and do it as to circumvent it by whatever means necessary. It HAS come in handy at several airports and has allowed me access to the "preferred status" ( what that is really called escapes me at the moment, but it merely allows easier passage through airport security...I don't have to remove my shoes and such). About the only time I drive boats is under the research vessel protocol anymore, but I'd like to keep everything up to date as I can. So, the question is, how long is the process taking for renewal now?
Thanks for any info.
Mike

No need to renew...
They are not necessary.

I renewed mine last year with the Extended Expiration Date program. It took one phone call and then maybe a little under a month later (I forget the exact timing) I had to go to an enrollment center to pick it up. The pickup was the longest part and I waited a few hours before it was my turn to pick up.

No need to renew...
They are not necessary.

Well, sort of..... You don't need one if you work on a vessel that isn't required to have a Vessel Security Plan. If you work on a vessel that has a security plan or require access to ports then you still have to have a TWIC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need one to get to ship berths at waterfront facilities occasionally, in my "day job". Renewed a year ago. did not use the extended enrollment, went the full 5 years. it still took two trips up to the local issuing center, not one. So it's still clunky. Just showing up tended to work better than waiting on/for the phone.

I am fortunate to have an enrollment center close by, though. Your mileage may vary considerably.

Thank you gentlemen. I think the TWIC office at the state ports is still open so I guess I will make my way over there in the next week or two. I think I have until the first of April, so I suspect that will be plenty of time.
Mike

---------- Post added January 14th, 2014 at 10:59 PM ----------

Hey nolatom, If you are back over on the D2D forum in the next few days tell Finnbdiving that I can't log in. But that I'd be happy to share a beer when he's in town. That goes for you too by the way.
Mike

Mike...I did the extended expiration for 3 more years. Paid online and picked it up at the office out west of the box stores on 70. It is on the south side. Just beyond where you would turn into Lowe's and Wal Mart. Process took about 30 minutes to give a fingerprint and get a new PIN.

Hi Ken...I shall do that sometime next week I guess. University started back this week and I am being assailed by 150 wanna be divers. We'll see how many are left at the end of the semester....
Mike

I have used my license with twic card inside for ID at airports and on a few occasions security had never seen the orange passport style license before causing me to pull out a passport. This was for overseas travel but still in the U.S. I've also been told "my twic card doesn't look like that". this caused further delays. I'll be up for renewal but will waive the twic expense and go TWICLESS. Total waste of money from my experience.

FWIW, I just renewed mine and the approval process took about a week. You have to go first to "enroll" again and then they notify you when the card is done and you have to go back in person to pick it up. They can/will not mail it to you.
I kept checking on-line and here in Tampa, mine was done in just over 7-8 working days. They haven't called yet about the card being printed though.

I only hold an OUPV (6-pack) and do not require a vessel security plan but I figured it couldn't hurt to keep it going. I was reading horror stories about other folks renewing their MMC's and having THAT process be delayed due to expired TWIC's even though you aren't required to have one anymore. The whole process is disheartening. It's all about money...

Back
Top Bottom