backinflation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Space

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone used the Mares Jubilee or SeaQuest Black Diamond thinking of these two any pro's or con's. No i'm not going to be doing any tech diving any time soon so no bp/wing just yet:)

I own a Sea Quest Raider, the big brother to the Black Diamond. My only complaint is the weight but all that padding comes at a price I suppose. Mine has the older weight system which has been much improved on newer models. I have also recently checkout the Jubilee. It seems like a super piece, especially considering hte price. The weight integration system seem very secure and well thought out and it fold nerly flat. I will probably get one for travel in the future unless I decide I want to go BP/Wings which I am also mulling over.

I had both the Dacor Rig and the Black Diamond but sold the BD on eBay.
The BD was pretty good and I liked it over the Rig because of the trim weight pockets on the back and the TWO rear pull dumps. I saw that the Rig could be modified with a backplate to better handle doubles so I sold the BD. I now know that even though modifying the Rig made it better.....I still feel that going with a BP and wing will be a better solution for me.
Best of luck if you get the Black Diamond but do not go out and pay retail. You can get one used for under $200 on eBay. Get one and try it out for a while and you can turn it right around and get what you paid for it with another auction.

I agree with Dectek, I picked up my Raider on Ebay with the Air Source octo/inflator for less than half of what a new one cost in your LDS. I beleive the Raider and Air Source go for just under $1000 in dive shops. You may also want to check out the Balance from Sea Quest, I have heard gredat things about them and have also contemplated that one for a travel BC.

I bought the unit for $250 and sold the Air Source on eBay for $105. A few months later the BCD went for $225. I ALMOST felt guilty.

get the Jubilee. Other good BC's:
Seaquest Balance
Zeagle Escape
Transpac II with Travel Wing

Thanks for the info guys they all seem to be pretty nice. Just from trying them on at my LDS the Jubilee seems to fit better on me and a little more streamlined. And yes I tried all of them with a 5mm (thats as cold as I want to get for now) :) It truly seems that Mares put alot of thought into the Jubilee. Hopefully my LDS will let me take it for a test dive.

Leadweight why the Jubilee can you give me more on your opinion? Thanks again

I have the Seaquest Balance and don't have any regrets about the choice. I was new to back inflation, but the Balance was pretty easy to use.

It's really a very light, comfortable bc; the only drawback may be that it doesn't have a carry handle.

Blue Space once bubbled...
Thanks for the info guys they all seem to be pretty nice. Just from trying them on at my LDS the Jubilee seems to fit better on me and a little more streamlined. And yes I tried all of them with a 5mm (thats as cold as I want to get for now) :) It truly seems that Mares put alot of thought into the Jubilee. Hopefully my LDS will let me take it for a test dive.

Leadweight why the Jubilee can you give me more on your opinion? Thanks again

You answered the question yourself. More streamlined, fits better.

Personally, I feel the Black Diamond is one of a group of overbuilt, bulky, so-called extended range BC's. They weigh a lot, cost a lot and don't pack well. Some suffer from tank wrap. Some other too-big bc's: Zeagle Ranger & Tech, Sherwood Outback, Genisis Recon, Dacor Rig and Seaquest Raider. Most of these tout the ability to use doubles as a selling point. These BC's incorporate a wide wing and huge weight pockets. Performance with singles suffers. For the tropical diving that I like they don't work all that well.

OTOH, some of the less extreme versions (Black Diamond and Ranger) look like they would work well for West Coast style diving in cold water with 2 piece 7 mil wetsuits and a big steel tank. Just so happens that I do not do that kind of diving.

I've been also looking seriously at the Jubilee. Seems so far this particular model has had some pretty decent reviews. Someone mentioned some bad things about the Syncro Power Tech in another thread ... anyone with bad experiences with the Jubilee? Is it sufficient for cold water dives?

Back
Top Bottom