backpack for carrying 3 AL80 tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For paths which are irregular but not overly steep I use an old 2 wheeled golf caddy I modified to carry 2xAL80/HP100. Saves the hands more than anything else.

Seriously? The most famous climbing photo ever taken?

Here's the description from Getty Images (the copyright owner):
Tenzing Norgay on the Summit of Mount Everest

Tenzing Norgay on the Summit of Mount Everest, Tenzing Norgay on the summit of Mount Everest at 11:30am on 29th May 1953. Tenzing waves his ice-axe on which are hung the flags of Britain, Nepal, the United Nations and India, Nepal, 29th May 1953. Mount Everest Expedition 1953. (Photo by Edmund Hillary/Royal Geographical Society via Getty Images)

View attachment 826691

From The Guardian - The conquest of Everest- picture of the day

"Tenzing Norgay brandishes his ice axe on the summit of Mount Everest on 29 May 1953. Edmund Hillary took this photograph using a modest Kodak Retina compact camera loaded with Kodachrome colour film, he kept the camera tucked inside his jacket during the final ascent to keep it from freezing. Hillary apparently refused a photograph when Tenzing offered to return the favour."
Thank-you. From my chitty phone screen I didn't think it a period correct image. Viewing it from a better monitor, it clearly defines an era, and an amazing feat.

Minor PC/educational point since Marie somewhat hinted at it: "porter" is someone who transfers/carries gear. "Sherpa" is a member of, and an, ethnic group from Nepal and Tibet. So a porter in Mexico or Yosemite or the Amazon or anywhere you'll be diving or having an expedition is very likely not a Sherpa.

This is where my mind went...
Good for hauling tanks
Be handy for diving as well.

Hear me out…there is this new thing around

It lets you add a plate to it that can carry 2 cylinders like a back pack and even dive like that and when you get to the water you don’t have to get dressed

Attachments

• IMG_4844.png
    IMG_4844.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 23
Are you planning on carrying three tanks out in a single trip as well? After the dive I'm usually sufficiently tired or sufficiently on gassed that I'd probably prefer several trips with less weight.

I can give a +1 for the Kubi bag; it keeps my hands free so I can fall better.

Well, if you weigh 3 Al 80's thats about 35 x 3 = 105 pounds.
If you weigh 2 lp 120's thats about 48 x 2 = 96 pounds.

Now, I am not a math genius, same gas, less weight? And you can cave fill the 120;s.

BTW, does the term "tank monkey" work instead of sherpa?

Nope still not it. Scuba porter yes, scuba sherpa no. Wasn't just directing my comment at you btw haha
The term sherpa has become colloquialized. It’s used by people daily not just in diving.
If someone thinks anyone referring to a porter as a sherpa is being racist, that’s just stupid (not directed at you since you didn’t insinuate that).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom