backpack question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

halocline

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an older (10 years or so) scubapro jacket BC. It's probably the ancestor of the current "classic" except there are no integrated weights. It's built on a plastic backplate that looks very similar to some of the old plastic backpacks I've seen. There are slots that look like they would accommodate a simple webbing harness, and there's a single cam strap. I'm thinking of using the plate alone as a backpack for my double hose. My steel plate really puts the tank up high.

Any reason why this wouldn't work? And any suggestions about harness material? Is it just a softer 2" webbing, one piece?

I think it should work. The webbing is just standard webbing but the hard to find somewhat softer stuff is easier to deal with. Those plastic plates like that are usually easy to find. Many early jacket BCs had them built in and are easily removed. The one you are talking about I assume is the hollow, blow molded, type? and not the older contour style packs? Save up your money for a real Navy Harness from Simmonbeans.

N

Scubatoys has the "somewhat softer" webbing. I've been trying to find the really stiff stuff like I got from FredT quite a few years ago for my heavy plate. Anybody want to trade some? I have about 45 feet of the Scubatoys stuff. It should be fine for my lighter plates but I prefer the stuff that wants to stand up on its own for the heavy plate.

I have an old Seatec that has a hard pack in it which appears that it would work.
I like the softer type and found some tow straps that were perfect if you don't mind yellow color...which matchs my yellow hoses. Northern Tool and Tractor Supply have them. For about $10 you can get enough 2 inch webbing for 2 harnesses and have a couple of hooks to boot. There are a couple of strengths available, the lighter strength works but is too thin so tri-glides, weightbelt holders and some buckles do not hold well so I recommend the thicker type.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom