Backplate Harness Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

islanddiver1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So i just ordered a new backplate and wing system from dive rite..

What should i do about weighting?

Ive heard people say go integrated and others say you dont need any weights with a backplate system.

If i do need weights how can i configure them?

If i dont need weights how do i dive?

any suggestions please

-Chris

The amount of lead you need will depend on the size of your tanks, whether your backplate is aluminium or steel, your exposure protection e.t.c.

As for where you wear your lead, you can get integrated systems that attach to your harness, weight harnesses that are separate from the backplate and the good old traditional weight belt.

Its generally a good idea to do a weight check when you get a new piece of kit, put on all your kit and go in with a cylinder with about 50bar/500psi in it and see how much weight you need to get neutral. Do it in the shallows and you will know that you have enough weight to allow you to get neutral and hold a stop on an "empty" tank.

If you don't have much exposure protection the weight of a backplate can sometimes be enough to get you neutral without having to add any extra lead at all.

As for the weight system to use, thats mostly a matter of personal preference.

If you're diving doubles, you can add a V-weight between the tanks. If you're diving singles and just need a few pounds, the weight pockets made by XS Scuba are cheap and can be placed where you need them to help you trim out properly. Or you could just wear a weight belt. Is the BP SS or aluminum?

I went through this exercise a few months ago when I bought my first BP/W... I will detail my kit just as an example, but I am by NO means anything resembling an expert or authority on the matter. Just someone else who was in your spot a few months ago...

First off, I am 5'10, 160 pounds, and in reasonable physical shape with not too much extra body fat content. I do not float too well unassisted.

I ended up buying a 6lb steel plate, the XS Scuba quick release pockets to put on the waistbelt portion of the harness, and some cheap trim pockets to put on the cam band. Since I own lots of solid lead weights already, I did not want to get the weight harness and go to soft lead... I also wanted to avoid having to wear a separate weight belt for warmer recreational dives.

I understand now at least one reason that the DIR configuration (I have no DIR training yet) does not seem to include weight pouches on the belt of the harness. I will have to remove them when I get a canister light because I do not have enough "circumference" to accommodate much else on the belt portion of my harness.

To get neutral in fresh water with an empty 30lb wing, 7mm suit, hood, boots, and gloves, I put 10 pounds on the belt and 4 pounds on the trim pouches for a total of 20 pounds of lead and steel plate.

With my 3/5 mil suit and no hood I was looking at about 12 or 14 pounds weight total ( 3 or 4 pounds in each belt pocket plus the plate).

In my drysuit I split my weight between my BP/W and a weight belt. I carried 22 pounds on my BP/W and 10 pounds on my belt. This was due to the fact that I only have a 30lb wing and wanted to make sure it would float if I took it off. (Was doing the rescue course).

Overall, besides the 7mm configuration, I think I could have managed with a few pounds less in each case. I have been getting used to a lot of new gear (BP/W, drysuit, etc.), so I will try to start tuning it all a bit better when the weather turns warmer and I can start diving more regularly.

I hope this info helps you... Good luck with your endeavors!!!

Another option for singles is a weighted STA. For Caribbean trips involving salt water and aluminum 80s, the SS plate and weighted STA get me pretty close to what I need.

^^^ That is a good point. My wing is uber-stable without the STA, but the added weight might make it worthwhile. Thanks!!!

I have an alloy plate and 35lb wing from Zeagle, and a 100cf (12.2L) Faber. I use Zeagle's Zip Touch integrated weight pockets.
when diving dry, I carry 18lb of lead. when wet, i carry 12lb (7/5 suit). Then again, I'm tall and slim (6ft, 166lb).

Note that these weightings have been achieved by trial and error. You will prob need to do the same :)

Yah.. that works but im geared more towards cold water diving .. 7mm or drysuit

ill try that for my vacation

I going out this AM to do this with my recently aquired OMS SS BP/W 94lbs.

I'll be switching back and from doubles to singles steels so I'll need a couple of different configs.

Back
Top Bottom