Backplate Harness Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Normally not mandatory but I have found I prefer the additional stability as well as the weight. With a STA, I don't need any more weights so it works perfect. Perhaps it would be different with a different backplate / cam bands, in other words, YMMV.

Mandatory**?

On mine it would seem to be mandatory. I don't see how else to mount it. Like Zippsy said the STA is that much more lead off your belt.

I didn't get to try the doubles config. yesterday. The plate did interfere with my weight belt and I need to place the tank lower on the back plate as the rig tends to push me head 1st down if I'm not paying attention and compensating. Other than that I like the BP/W more than a BC vest. The weight of the tank is distributed so I didn't even notice it. Comfort is the by word. The only other thing is that the tank is so far away from my back that it feels like the HP hose for the SPG needs to be longer, and like I mentioned I need to place the tank lower which will exasperate that situation. I wouldn't need the fancy retractor I bought for it by the time I lower the tank. Heck I may need a mirror to see it!:D

Whether or not you NEED a STA might depend on the brand of bp/w. As for where to place weights, I recommend the weighted STA. If you need more weight, just put pockets on the belt of harness (xs scuba pouches). They offer ditchable versions but I just have regular pouches. You can also put the pouches on the cam bands if desired. If you do, make sure they're tucked in close to the STA, as close to the body as possible.

Try a few different placements and find what gives YOU the best trim, not what gave a buddy better trim. Everyone is different.

is a single tank adapter required?

I have been diving my 30LB oxycheq wing with no STA. It is incredibly stable in this configuration. It has some kind of little stabilizers sewn into the fabric of the wing. If I elect to purchase and install a STA, the purpose for doing so will be better weight distribution, and eliminating the XS Scuba quick release weight pouches from the belt portion of my BP/W harness.

I find distributing the weight belt between a weight belt and pockets on the cam straps works best. Note that with this configuration only the weight belt can be dumped.

Are you using a steel backplate? If you're diving cold water then this is an option worth looking into. If you are cold water diving I'd also suggest a steel tank (less buoyant).

There are also weighted STAs and shot weight 'socks' that run along the spine of the plate.

And foot weights are worth consideration if you're feet are light (dry suit?).

Integrated weights don't work for me on a backplate - they crowd my waist belt too much.

But remember, you will probably have been taught to have weight you can drop and get positively buoyant.

Or go do a GUE fundies course and get taught by people who know what they're doing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom