Backplate/Wing or Jacket BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ayisha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will need to replace my BCD this summer and am contemplating going to a backplate and wing. I have a Small Genesis Athena BCD which I love and have had no issues with, but I believe it is no longer manufactured. Last summer, I looked at a short backplate and I think it was a 30 lb wing, and I thought this would be a good way to go. The owner of the shop, who wears a backplate and wing himself and caters to a lot of tech and rb divers, told me that you have to be somewhat of a contortionist to get in and out of the backplate, it would be set specifically to me, and I might not like fighting with it. I was confused by this, since I always hear many positives about backplates and wings.

The LDS owner recommended instead the Scubapro Ladyhawk, and I knew from the past that I did not like the old inflator/deflator buttons on the Scubapros. He showed me the newer easier button and said he could put a Sherwood style grip on it instead if I wanted. He gave me a rental Ladyhawk to try, and it was the older button version, which I found to be very hard to press and not intuitive, and it was difficult to vent, though manageable. Fighting with the buttons weren't fun, and I went right back to my Athena BC after the first dive. I returned the BC after-hours, and it is in a popular dive area not that close to where I live, so I didn't see him again or get or give feedback.

I am just a recreational, single tank diver. I have been diving in caverns and sometimes do light penetration of wrecks, but most of my diving is o/w, no overhead, no deco, simple diving.

Does a backplate/wing setup have to be difficult to get into?

Does a backplate/wing setup have to be difficult to get into?

It's not difficult to get into, but does require some practice.
Compare to a properly adjusted BC, it's about the same - but a lot of BC users loosen/unclip everything, get in their gear and then tighten all the straps - can't do that with a HOG harness.

The best advice I'd have is to try one - it shouldn't be too hard to find a diver willing to swap gear with you for a dive. Most BP/W divers are more than eager to promote their gear.

(The kind of diving you do doesn't really matter - BP/W are arguably more adapted to technical diving than jackets, but just ignore those arguments and base your decision on comfort alone).

two options.

if your fixed webbing harness is 'loose' enough (as in it lets your tank ride low enough for proper balancing) it will not be hard to get in and out of at all. The tension in the system (that keeps it stable on your body is from the crotch strap/waist belt. If you run your shoulder straps a bit tighter (4 fingers stacked)the biggest thing is not trying to just wrench yourself right out of it though, sit your tank on a stable surface and kind of hunker your butt down a bit lower and that will allow more play in the shoulder straps (most likely, unless they are just VERY VERY tight)

if you like your kit to ride a bit higher, want shoulder straps a bit tighter or have restricted mobility in your shoulders, then my recommendation is to go with something like the Halcyon Cinch harness that allows you an adjustable single webbing harness.

I'm 5'4" and 120 lb. When I started diving, I used a jacket style BC. I then switched to a Dive Rite transpac which is a soft back plate. Finally, I'm now diving with a hard backplate and wing (Halcyon small aluminum plate and 30 lb wing). I really like how the simple and rigid bp/wing trims out under water. It follows your body really well. I was originally worried that getting in and out of the bp/wing would be tough in case of an emergency underwater. Once I realized that I would probably never ever want to ditch the BC under the water, it was no longer an issue for me. Plus, getting in and out is rather easy both above and under water once you get used to it. With that said, I would suggest that you try it out. Proper fit and adjustment is the key.

The owner of the shop, who wears a backplate and wing himself and caters to a lot of tech and rb divers, told me that you have to be somewhat of a contortionist to get in and out of the backplate

There is a solution to the sometimes difficult to get into Backplate/Wing. Its called the Halcyon Cinch system. You can ge these with a Back pad they call it the infity system. Basically the cinch system is a quick adjust feature that allows the straps to be loosened and tighten. System actually works pretty well.

Single Tank BC Systems | Halcyon Dive Systems

Here is a link to the video showing how it works.

http://www.halcyon.net/bc/cinch/videos

I dive a back inflate BC (Seaquest Balance), a hybrid BC (Oceanic Hera) for recreational diving & a BP/W for technical diving. I am very happy with each of these BC systems, each serves its own purpose. There are some BP/W harnesses that have a plastic Quick Release on 1 shoulder that may make it easier to don/ doff. I realize this is rather frowned upon for technical diving... but I am referring to this as being for recreational diving. There certainly options any way you choose.

Thank you very much for all your responses! :) It sounds like it may be a good thing that I don't actually need to undo anything on my BC in order to get into it. I just kind of lower myself down a little like what Laura described and put my arms through no problem. It's not loose either. I always try to pull the straps just to make sure and it's tight and fits perfect. I don't have any mobility issues, so it sounds like the "contortion" is more of an issue for someone with mobility issues or who is used to undoing straps and having a lot of room to work with.

Thanks for suggesting the Halcyon Infinity. I really like everything I have read about it from your links. The only concern I have is that it says on the Halcyon website that it only comes with a standard backplate. The Eclipse, though, says standard or small. I am very petite and would definitely need a small backplate. I called Halcyon earlier to find out if it can come with a small backplate, but they were closed, so I will have to try earlier another day.

I phoned a Halcyon dealer nearby who has it in stock and he seems to think that he can rig it with a small backplate, but he will check with Halcyon to see if there would be any issues with this or why it doesn't come with a small backplate.

So my next question is, is it better to get a steel or aluminum backplate? I have heard that aluminum is better for travelling with since it is a lot lighter. I only wear 16 lbs for fresh cold water diving and 9 lbs for salt warm water diving with an AL 63. If I use a HP steel 80 tank, I only use 4 lbs here and 2 lbs down south. In cold salt water, I use a steel tank and 10 lbs. So, I don't need a lot of weight and I'm wondering if an aluminum backplate will be fine for me?

Thanks again! :)

You forgot about the ole BI BC??-------& any of the 3 will get you home safely......

Hi Alyisha,

I had a Lady Hawk and loved it, until I dove a BP/W. The LH was up for sale on the boards the very next day :).

I am small and have no issue getting in or out of my b/p harness, as others have said it does take a little getting use to but soon it's simple.

I am overweight when I dive a small steel plate, 3mm and Al80.

If I dive my steel plate in warm water I have to wear a 5mm to be properly weighted, but I'm not very buoyant so YMMV.

I agree with everybody else who says that, if your harness is hard to get in and out of, it's too tight. The shoulder straps don't have to be terribly snug, as long as the crotch strap is -- it will keep the extra length of the shoulder strap from becoming slack. In my dry suit, with my thick undergarments and my big dry glove rings, I was out of my rig in about 2 minutes today, in the water (we doff gear to get back on our boat).

If there is a gear configuration that you dive, where you use less than five pounds (and if it is a configuration you dive often), then you are better off with an aluminum or Kydex plate. You can put XS Scuba weight pockets on the cambands for colder water, and it works very much the same as a heavier plate. Light plates are very nice for travel, as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom